Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
No sooner...... just took a good spill on the ramp. Recomend a good surgeon? Lol. Not too serious i think. Think ill pop a couple percocet, crack a beer and watch the kids ride the ramp.
Think about this, best case scenario I'll be off crutches in July....... A couple beer and maybe a steak on the BBQ sounds a lot better than waiting in the ER!

At your age, having something like that in your back yard is like having a hot 20yr old sunbathing in your back yard. You'll be ok if you just get caught looking, but if you hope up and go for a ride, chit can go bad!!!

Last edited by Kurt505; 05-06-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Think about this, best case scenario I'll be off crutches in July....... A couple beer and maybe a steak on the BBQ sounds a lot better than waiting in the ER!

At your age, having something like that in your back yard is like having a hot 20yr old sunbathing in your back yard. You'll be ok if you just get caught looking, but if you hope up and go for a ride, chit can go bad!!!
Awesome!! When "up" for it, id love to buy you a cold one. Maybe we are best reminissing about our good times in extreme sports.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:41 PM

All the best Kurt. Heal up quick!!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Stupid thing is you'll still somehow manage to drop 4-6 trophies on the ground this fall.

Good luck in the recovery. I had ACL surgery a year ago and thing are going well. I wish you the same!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Stupid thing is you'll still somehow manage to drop 4-6 trophies on the ground this fall.

Good luck in the recovery. I had ACL surgery a year ago and thing are going well. I wish you the same!

I haven't dropped 4-6 trophys in the past 4-6 years! That would be spectacular!

I did a little gun therapy last night, I had my son go to my safe and grab my Christensen Arms Ridgeline and my Ruger No 1 so I could do something other than watch tv. It was relaxing just looking them over and admiring the lines. Spent most of the day relaxing yesterday and it shows. Woke up today with my leg feeling awesome..... relatively. Swelling is finally starting to go down and almost no need for pain meds anymore. All in all I'm pretty happy about how recovery is coming along.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM

Ouch! hope you make a speedy recovery. I hope you don't fly often, your going to set off some metal detectors for sure with that leg now.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Keep healing, Kurt. I'd volunteer to be your gun bearer this fall but my old bod probably wouldn't like the idea. I lost most of last fall after slipping off the top step of the 5th wheel. Cracked a couple ribs and didn't help my back issues. Going to make her this fall come he__ or high water. Take care and I'll see if the 270 barks again.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Default Killin time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I haven't dropped 4-6 trophys in the past 4-6 years! That would be spectacular!

I did a little gun therapy last night, I had my son go to my safe and grab my Christensen Arms Ridgeline and my Ruger No 1 so I could do something other than watch tv. It was relaxing just looking them over and admiring the lines. Spent most of the day relaxing yesterday and it shows. Woke up today with my leg feeling awesome..... relatively. Swelling is finally starting to go down and almost no need for pain meds anymore. All in all I'm pretty happy about how recovery is coming along.
Therapy is good! I cleaned everything twice! Its tough to do anything and what you can do is slow and painful, so try to enjoy what you can. Biggest part is too maintain your icing though, It pays.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:24 PM

Man that's nasty!!!!

Although nowhere near what that injury is, I do remember bringing my sons RM 250 home years ago. Of course his friends are over, and good old Dad has to perform or show off as my wife likes to say....

Bike was awesome, me not so much... LOL.

Put er through the garage door..., ya I'm cool... three broken ribs later..

Sucks to be laid up, but wish ya a speedy recovery Kurt!!!!

Old 05-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Man that's nasty!!!!

Although nowhere near what that injury is, I do remember bringing my sons RM 250 home years ago. Of course his friends are over, and good old Dad has to perform or show off as my wife likes to say....

Bike was awesome, me not so much... LOL.

Put er through the garage door..., ya I'm cool... three broken ribs later..

Sucks to be laid up, but wish ya a speedy recovery Kurt!!!!

Ha! That's awesome!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes fellas!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Default Update

Went for a follow up appointment with my surgeon and got a surprise today. Doc said lose the brace and start trying to walk! Been 7 weeks since surgery and my original prognosis was 12 weeks before I was able to put weight on it. Weight bearing 5 weeks early!!!

To say I'm happy would be an understatement.

I'm taking half a day off work tomorrow, grabbing my fishing rod and new rifle and heading to my cabin to celebrate!!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Good news Kurt505! Enjoy the fishing trip! Those scars are huge!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Good news Kurt505! Enjoy the fishing trip! Those scars are huge!

Fortunately my modeling days are over, right now the biggest thing is range of motion. Strength should bounce back fairly quick but right now it feels like I'm trying to walk with a sleeping leg. My range of motion sucks though, I can only bend my leg 20-30 degrees.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:19 PM

Good news for sure. Hope you have a quick recovery!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM

Well when u do something you do it in a big way lol. Man those pics had me all puckered up. Hope you heal fast and as good as new.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Wholly crap Kurt, that's not good at all.

Sorry to hear about your set back, I was wondering what was happening since the 6.5 thread was sitting idle for way to long.

I've never had any thing bellow my belt line broken, but I,'ve had my share of many things up top Rattle loose.

Follow your doctors orders and get better, that's what really counts.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

Thanks guys, I'm just so happy I want to scream it from the mountain top!

Lol. I really appreciate this site and the great guys on here, you've really helped pass the time.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Now that is a set of stitches to be proud of!and the screws and plates are a nice touch also ! YOU will be feeling this a lot more in a few years for sure !
I have 7 vertebrae cut open like a horse shoe in my lower back and 12 screws plus four titanium rods on each side ! I am 70 and I AM feeling it !
I just learned from my mom John Wayne wasn't my father after all!
Man that p--sses me off ! She lied to me!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:15 AM
Banned

Default Update!

Yesterday was a big day for me, I was cleared for hardware removal a couple weeks back, I asked the doctor to put it off because I had just bought a snowmobile and wanted to get a couple rides in before the snow melted. I got the call last Friday that there was openings coming up in March, I said I’d go in today if they had room. That’s when the nurse said there was room on this coming Wednesday if it wasn’t too short of notice...... SOLD!

So yesterday morning started out like most, did some ordering, went to site for a quick site visit, then home for a shower and off to the grey nuns at 12:30. Prep’d for surgery and at 2:30 I was wheel’d into the OR. Fell asleep, then for the second time I still can’t remember coming to. But this time instead of having the doctor telling me about the metal he put in my leg, he was waving a bag filled with the screws and plate they removed.

I’ll be honest, when this injury first happened I had no idea of the severity, now nearly exactly one year later I can honestly say it sucked, lol. Up until yesterday I was doubtful I’d ever be able to walk normal or without pain again, but immediately after surgery, my first few steps were nearly pain free!!!! What a difference 9 screws and a 9” piece of titanium made. Before it was removed literally every single step I’ve taken over the past year has hurt, not just a little but a lot, so much so it feels good to walk with a 9” incision down my shin in comparison lol.

So I figured I’d update the situation, it’s been 345 days from the day I broke my leg to the day I got the hardware removed. Doc says take it easy for another 8 weeks and I should be good to go.

Here’s the pre op pic:

And here’s the hardware they removed, some of those screws were 3” long:

Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Man now you gotta make something out of that bag of parts....now go for a run.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2019, 05:53 AM
Banned

I’m still wobbly from the anesthetic, if I try running now I’ll most likely wind up in the ER again, ha!

But seriously, what a huge difference after that hardware was removed.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Great news, Kurt!

Now you can show me how to do that tail whip - I want to impress my boys.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Great news, Kurt!

Now you can show me how to do that tail whip - I want to impress my boys.
Eeeeeeh, might have to wait a couple days.....

Hahaha.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Why did your dyslexic doctor try to write SEX on your leg? Didn't even finish the job either....
Old 04-04-2019, 08:54 AM

Thats great. I blew my knee out 3 years ago so know some of your pain. Perfectly healed now. Stay on that physio regime!
Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 AM

Awesome Mr. What a horrible long heal, but good in the end. Take it easy this time, please?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM

A tale old as time... a father trying to show off to his son(s) only to injure himself badly as the realization that he's not as young as he used to be hits him real fast; either on impact or en route to the ER.

Reminds me of the time my dad tried showing off how to cat walk a bike when my brother and I were real young, only for him to crash into a ravine, narrowly avoiding serious injury. Or the time my buddy told me the story that his dad tried to show him how to jump a bike over a ramp only to break something (I think arm).

Glad to hear you're just about fully healed up.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:26 AM

That bar will make a good transducer mount on your ice fishing sonar,they look close,check it out.Glad to see you got things going and the leg has healed well.Plus you won't hear that snap sound of the rubber glove when they do a gravity search anymore at the airport now that the metal is gone.

What's next the grand canyon

Cheers
JD
Old 04-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Curious as to why the screws always go through the other side. Would think it wouldn't hurt as bad if the screws stopped short.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Good to know that you are in good spirits about it for sure,I would say that is half the battle,I hope you are up and around soon.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.