Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Default Local wildlife rehabilitation centre needs perch

And guess who has lots. They are hoping for 300/month frozen.

So I am looking to pull some volunteers together to help catch as many as we can in a weekend. Maybe next weekend.

I can bring limited numbers in to fish at a time so please send me a PM.

Please note what works best is 6 lb mono with small chartreuse jigs like genz worm or lindy fat boys with a red chironolid dropper.

I also tie size 8-14 chartreuse flies on Maruto hooks with chartreuse and orange tungsten beads.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20-10-Maruto-...4AAOSwT6pVqEzA

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 01-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 PM

These simple little flies work great.

They don't need to be pretty because after 100 or so you need to redo the marabou.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM

For around the same price, with no shipping costs, you can get the same style hooks at the local stores - Mustad 32833BLN. Work great for small jigs or tying balanced leech style flies.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:10 PM

Pick me pick me!! I'm free this weekend if you're looking for help I'd be more then happy to catch some perch . Let me know pm me for my cell number
Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
For around the same price, with no shipping costs, you can get the same style hooks at the local stores - Mustad 32833BLN. Work great for small jigs or tying balanced leech style flies.
Those would work. Who in Calgary sells?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Could you please explain what this thread is about? It sounds like a zoo or mink farm needs feed and you have a private pond or lake that is full of stunted perch.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Could you please explain what this thread is about? It sounds like a zoo or mink farm needs feed and you have a private pond or lake that is full of stunted perch.
A wildlife rehabilitation group would like some perch to help feed their animals they are helping.

Lake Sundance has a zillion 5-7 inch perch. They would like a mess. Match made in heaven.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 PM

only perch or would they accept other species like prussian carp?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
A wildlife rehabilitation group would like some perch to help feed their animals they are helping.

Lake Sundance has a zillion 5-7 inch perch. They would like a mess. Match made in heaven.
I think it's great that you can help out this center. Can anyone just come and fish Sundance and contribute their catch to the center? In the OP, you make it sound like you have to supervise the harvest.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
only perch or would they accept other species like prussian carp?
Don't see why they wouldn't take carp.

Mink farms would also. Chickens would probably go to town on carp as would pigs.

Someone also mentioned that in Calgary there is a group that believe in feeding fresh uncooked food to dogs. Some currently use perch from our lake. Carp should work also.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 01-11-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I think it's great that you can help out this center. Can anyone just come and fish Sundance and contribute their catch to the center? In the OP, you make it sound like you have to supervise the harvest.
Sundance is a private man made lake with about 3500 homes and 15,000 residents. Residents are allowed to bring in up to two guests each.

Not sure how many other groups could use perch. I offered some to the Calgary Zoo years ago. The vet refused as they were worried about City contamination.

Here are the lake rules. Fishin is down the list.
http://www.lakesundance.org/lake-rules.html
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sundance is a private man made lake with about 3500 homes and 15,000 residents. Residents are allowed to bring in up to two guests each.

Not sure how many other groups could use perch. I offered some to the Calgary Zoo years ago. The vet refused as they were worried about City contamination.

Here are the lake rules. Fishin is down the list.
http://www.lakesundance.org/lake-rules.html
Thanks for that info. The link made for some interesting reading. I like that they are using grass carp to help control weeds and algae. I will never understand why they stopped that in a lot of lakes. Would have prevented a lot of summer algae blooms, and a lot of winter kills.
Good luck with your little project Sundance. Sounds like it could be a fun time for participants.
P.S. A lake that size (33 acres), and that deep (22 ft), must grow some decent size trout. Whats the largest trout that you have caught? Do residents have a fun little derby going each year?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that info. The link made for some interesting reading. I like that they are using grass carp to help control weeds and algae. I will never understand why they stopped that in a lot of lakes. Would have prevented a lot of summer algae blooms, and a lot of winter kills.
Good luck with your little project Sundance. Sounds like it could be a fun time for participants.
P.S. A lake that size (33 acres), and that deep (22 ft), must grow some decent size trout. Whats the largest trout that you have caught? Do residents have a fun little derby going each year?
Could be a trophy trout fishery however perch eat all the food. 99% of trout shrink in weight. Maybe the Browns and brooks could grow... Or I hope. I want to stock larger trout. Working on that. Someday hope to see 10 lb Browns and 20 inch brooks
Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Brook trout

Quote:
Could be a trophy trout fishery however perch eat all the food. 99% of trout shrink in weight. Maybe the Browns and brooks could grow... Or I hope. I want to stock larger trout. Working on that. Someday hope to see 10 lb Browns and 20 inch brooks
Did they stock it with brook trout , or is it just a few that came in with the rainbows like previous years of stocking .
Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddale View Post
Did they stock it with brook trout , or is it just a few that came in with the rainbows like previous years of stocking .
Stocked this past fall with small Browns and Brooks.

A few did come in accidentally from past stockings. I caught a 22 inch brown and 18 in brookie. Shows they can possibly grow.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 PM

Default Holy smokes

Quite a few years ago when it was still being stocked consistently with rainbows, a close family friend caught an 8lb'er out of Sundance on a Panther Martin. Hangs over his mantle to this day.
Sad to have seen it decline the way it has, but still awesome to see it hasn't been completely forsaken like some of our further-in-the-field lakes when it comes to stocking brookies/browns/rainbows.

Good on ya Sundance for continuing the effort.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisho_badyk View Post
Quite a few years ago when it was still being stocked consistently with rainbows, a close family friend caught an 8lb'er out of Sundance on a Panther Martin. Hangs over his mantle to this day.
Sad to have seen it decline the way it has, but still awesome to see it hasn't been completely forsaken like some of our further-in-the-field lakes when it comes to stocking brookies/browns/rainbows.

Good on ya Sundance for continuing the effort.
We stocked 350 - 10 - 18 lb rainbows one year. I caught 40 in one day.

We don't grow them big since perch came.

Someday I hope to stock bigger but fewer rainbows, while the Browns and Brookies get bigger. Limits need to change to reflect fish numbers.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 AM

What local rehab center are you dealing with Sundance?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:57 AM

Bungling up the PM's. Between full limit and time penalty and hourly PM limits. Hope I caught everyone. Should be a nice day to slay some perch.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:47 PM

A little bit of what it looks like down there.

https://youtu.be/s_3TvaCTdWE
Old 01-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post

I figure there are 1000 perch within any given 10 foot square.

Thanks for the bag of perch. Jackand7 took them as he lives close to the wildlife place. BradS, Goldscud and the local angler hammered a pile after Dean left.

Going to hammer more tomorrow.

Thanks guys. It was fun.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I figure there are 1000 perch within any given 10 foot square.

Thanks for the bag of perch. Jackand7 took them as he lives close to the wildlife place. BradS, Goldscud and the local angler hammered a pile after Dean left.

Going to hammer more tomorrow.

Thanks guys. It was fun.
Yikes that's a ton of unwanted fish
Old 01-14-2017, 11:39 PM

likewise awsome time, i just hope i don't sleep in tomorrow as the evening party i had ran kinda late so i might not be on time. i pm'd you my cell number.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
likewise awsome time, i just hope i don't sleep in tomorrow as the evening party i had ran kinda late so i might not be on time. i pm'd you my cell number.

Just finished a poker tourney at a buddies. Pretty tired now.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 AM

I may be there again.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post

Picture/movie is worth a 1000 words. Tons in there. Hope the browns and brookies help to thin them and get deliciously large in the process
Old 01-15-2017, 01:23 PM

Sundance...

I have spoken with the lady at the rehab center. It doesn't sound like they are too prepared to accept all these perch...in her words, "I was thinking this would more likely be a summer thing..."

But I told her that I have all these bags of perch and considering the warm weather, I hope she comes to get them soon. She said she would call me as soon as she could find a volunteer to pick them up.

In the meantime...they sit on some cardboard in my garage to make sure the neighbourhood cats or magpies don't get 'em!

Regardless...it was nice to pluck some of those little buggers out again. And nice to meet some new faces!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Sundance...

I have spoken with the lady at the rehab center. It doesn't sound like they are too prepared to accept all these perch...in her words, "I was thinking this would more likely be a summer thing..."

But I told her that I have all these bags of perch and considering the warm weather, I hope she comes to get them soon. She said she would call me as soon as she could find a volunteer to pick them up.

In the meantime...they sit on some cardboard in my garage to make sure the neighbourhood cats or magpies don't get 'em!

Regardless...it was nice to pluck some of those little buggers out again. And nice to meet some new faces!
Ok. Different message than what I had. I will follow up. Spring and summer it is easy to get perch also. Guys today took all the perch.

Thanks for helping.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM

holly crap i hope those perch are iced down pretty good so they don't spoil. it was great to me you guys too and to socialize with you. great time, hit it again today with a bud and did great but not as well as last nite with you guys. a bit slower today with my buddy catching a brookie while i caught a nice rainbow maybe 1 1/2 lbs, but had a deformed head and nose along with a perch that had a deformed lower jaw.