Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Default "Practical vs "Cool" Firearms

Yesterday , we have a new shooter come out to shoot skeet with us. He was pleasant fellow,and he had a great time, but I cringed watching him shoot, because of the recoil and the noise. He was shooting a tactical style shotgun with a 14" barrel, and the recoil was significant, as was the noise. He told us that he had another shotgun, but it was an AR type shotgun with a scope mounted. He told us that he purchased both shotguns because they looked "cool". However, after shooting them a few times at stationary targets, the novelty had worn off, and he didn't shoot them often. He told us that he wanted to shoot more skeet, and get into hunting birds, but he now realized how impractical both shotguns were, and unfortunately, his firearms budget was spent for some time to come. I have noticed a lot of these types of new firearms showing up at the range over the past few years, and in most cases, the novelty wears off quickly, and the firearms are up for sale, or sit in a gun safe unused. I have purchased several firearms that I didn't get the use out of that I expected, but they were extras, that didn't prevent me from being able to purchase the firearms that I do use regularly. And I went through my gun room, and sold them all, re-investing in firearms that I use most. Just wondering how many people have purchased "cool" firearms that see little use, but they still own. I am not including the firearms that we keep for sentimental reasons, but then most of those were not purchased because they looked "cool".
Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

Ruger mini 14, thought the stainless with an ATI stock would be a cool coyote gun until I put in on the bench...... sold it and figured a Benelli R1 was the answer..... nope. I found out then that I’m not into tactical cool guns, little groups is where it’s at.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:18 AM

Some of the firearnscand ammunition that companies market and people buy make one’s head spin .
What civilian actually needs a combination doors breacher / muzzle brake on a shotgun?!
Cat
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM

I succumbed to the “buy it because it’s cool” syndrome a few years ago and picked up a M1 Carbine which I consider to be a gentleman’s assault rifle. Although I agree with Kurt regarding small groups, the M1 sets that bar pretty high...no pressure ... love it.
OK maybe the holstered single action revolver makes me look like a cowboy.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 12-10-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM

A while ago I went through a phase of wanting double barreled hammer guns, because they were so cool. Cut one down to 19" just so in my mind I could walk down the streets of Tombstone with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. That gun is still very (cool) today. Hows that for a fantasy?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM

There is a place for both types of firearms in my safe its all fun if i was looking to be practical id have 3 rifles not ......... well i wont say lol
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Depending on the shotgun it can fill a lot of roles. I have a 'tactical' 870 express that came with a 18.5 inch barrel and ghost ring sights. It's also threaded for chokes and has one of those goofy door breacher tubes. But it's cyl bore and sees some use. I also have a 14 inch barrel with a simple post sight I got from Dlask. And if I wanted to I could get a 26 or longer vent rib tube for birds or clays (I also have another 870 wing master to fill those roles).

That one shotgun could and has filled multiple roles from fun to functional very well. And although I do have other options, I wouldn't be hard up if I was stuck with just the one.

As for handguns, practical doesn't play quite as significant a role. Anything from a single action peacemaker to a fancy chrome alloy Sig or space age Sigourney Weaver looking Glock plays cool and functional. All in the eye of the beholder.

Colin
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Dropped $1100 on one of these. Actually shoots pretty well, but with the many other Italian shotguns I have, she will be gathering dust.

https://deryaarms.com/en/tum-urunler...-mk-12-as-106s
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
A while ago I went through a phase of wanting double barreled hammer guns, because they were so cool. Cut one down to 19" just so in my mind I could walk down the streets of Tombstone with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. That gun is still very (cool) today. Hows that for a fantasy?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Banned

Most of my firearms purchases have been well thought out with an eye towards practicality, and budget.
Two years ago I bought a Sharps in 45-70 because after watching Quigley Down Under I thought it 'cool' in a historical way.
Glad I did...it's my favorite firearm now.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
very practical looking gun for home defense, bears in camp or cowboy action shooting!
Of course, I have a sort of affinity towards hammer doubles!
Cat
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Most of my firearms purchases have been well thought out with an eye towards practicality, and budget.
Two years ago I bought a Sharps in 45-70 because after watching Quigley Down Under I thought it 'cool' in a historical way.
Glad I did...it's my favorite firearm now.
I love the big Sharps rifles but many do not for various reasons !
However , if one wants to hunt with black powder cartridge guns , besides the H&R Buffalo hunter , the Sharps is the very best as far as ease of cleaning goes - however I have been told more than once I was wrong fir having that opinion!
Practical? Yup! Cool? Right off the cool scale!
Cat
Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 AM

The best part of living in a free society (although one could argue outs isn’t really that free) is having the ability to choose how you spend your own money. Just because something isn’t practical doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it, it’s all up to you. If you got the capital and are willing to make the sacrifice to your pocket book who are we to judge your choices. Shoot what makes you happy!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM

I don't have enough of a budget to buy just cause it's cool. Every rifle I own fits a specific " need" / role. But if money wasn't an option I could see myself with a few guns just because they are cool.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM

There are a lot of guns that are impractical and uncool. Or at least look like crap. These I cannot begin to understand.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There are a lot of guns that are impractical and uncool. Or at least look like crap. These I cannot begin to understand.
There are also several that are "cool" and practical.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:09 PM

My kid bought an AR looking semi 12ga. It is obnoxiously loud but he seems to be able to hit clays consistently with it. I’m not quite sure how as it has a carry handle on top.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My kid bought an AR looking semi 12ga. It is obnoxiously loud but he seems to be able to hit clays consistently with it. I’m not quite sure how as it has a carry handle on top.
Some target presentations are fairly easy to hit, even from the hip, but shooting actual skeet or sporting clays could be a challenge having to look over a tall handle. Then again,if the handle is the right height, it would be similar to a high rib.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-10-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Practicool

Practicool goose gun

I call it "Wheat Stubble" camo. Courtesy of Krylon

Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just wondering how many people have purchased "cool" firearms that see little use, but they still own..
-Ruger mini 14 (A-Team....)
-Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
-STI Grandmaster 38 super (just sold last week)
-Ruger SR22
-Dominion grizzly 8.5" mag fed shotgun
-Couple of the AR style shotguns .. can't think of which "ones" right now...
-RRA AR 15 I have never shot
-A couple of 1911's that never get used (One I have never used)

Probably a few more.

Is it a bad thing?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
What civilian actually needs a combination doors breacher / muzzle brake on a shotgun?!
Cat
LOL thanks Cat, that one made me laugh.
I have one .. at least

OHHH JR Carbine in 9mm add to the list.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
There are also several that are "cool" and practical.
Yup all mine all cool and practical to me.....not too concerned about another's thoughts.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Gone Hunting

I have never had the money to buy a rifle for the cool factor. Plus, there has never been anyone I wanted to impress that way.
Maybe because being able to afford such extravagance was beyond the reach of myself plus all of my peers.
It's not that I/we wouldn't. I/they just couldn't, so never developed the habit.

I have not escaped entirely however. Many years ago I bought a .303 Ross at a farm auction. That was during the FAC days and I had forgotten my FAC so my BIL picked it up for me. Before I could get it from him the Firearm registry and the accompanying PAL was instituted.

I was working oilfield at the time and so didn't get around to applying for my PAL for a few more years. By then the Ross had been put aside and no one could remember where it was in the house.

That is the way things stand to this day. Every so often I ask my BIL to try to locate it so I can retrieve it, but nothing ever comes of it.

There is a lot about this story that does not actually fit the OPs scenario.
I did not buy it for the cool factor. I bought it because Dad had owned one and it's the first rifle I ever remember seeing knock down a Moose.
And that, from our front step no less.

I also did not spend a lot of money for it. I paid top dollar for it, but that amounted to only $150,00, the price of a decent Lee Enfield at the time.

It's kinda funny thinking about this subject at this particular time.
See I just got a letter from Stephen Redgwell, author of, The Accurate Lee Enfield.
I had asked his permission to quote something he says in this book. A rather humorous poke at the trend to buying magnum rifles.

I wonder what he would say about impulse buying. I'm sure it would offend some and leave others doubled over in laughter.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 PM

I have to admit I’ve made a couple of tactical-cool buys...temporary insanity. What I really struggle with are the guys buying 870 clones and hanging Every dang thing they can on it, including bayonets.
I must have watched the wrong war movies as a kid, but to me there is Nothing right or cool about a 12ga. With a bayonet hanging off it, along with red-dot, lasers, flashlights....There was a photo on another forum a coup,e months ago of one with a bipod mounted....SMH
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post
I have to admit I’ve made a couple of tactical-cool buys...temporary insanity. What I really struggle with are the guys buying 870 clones and hanging Every dang thing they can on it, including bayonets.
I must have watched the wrong war movies as a kid, but to me there is Nothing right or cool about a 12ga. With a bayonet hanging off it, along with red-dot, lasers, flashlights....There was a photo on another forum a coup,e months ago of one with a bipod mounted....SMH
flashlight on a shotgun is a decent idea... bipod, not so much
Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 PM

many of us, at one time or another, wonder “what would work best if a rabid herd of zombies/liberals/more equals was scratching at my door...” which then turns into an all night google rabbit hole of tactical searching and occasional buying. The rabid herd rarely shows up (although recent events might suggest it’s not as rare as it used to be) where hunting season does every year.

Oh well, live and learn. I don’t own anything for the cool factor anymore, but I certainly don’t regret the experience
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 AM

Do like that paint job CNP. It's cool!!

I do have one "black rifle", an STG44 replica in .22LR, fun to shoot, but as it weighs within a few ounces of the real thing, a bit of a pig to carry. Can't imagine how that felt along with 1/2doz mags or more at the end of a long days march.
I was thinking maybe a 6.5 in a STAG10 would be fun, til I looked at the weight. Leave that one for the young 'uns to pack around, worse than the STG by the time you dress it up. STG is 12 with a scope, STAG would be pushing 14.
Does have a longer barrel though. 600NE in a SxS is only 12-13, and a lot nicer to carry.
I would like to have a hammer shotgun, but, I'll likely catch a hammer and bust it in the blind, so it will have to be a walking gun. I could have bought one with what I spent on the #1, but, I have enough shotguns (?). There again too, I had enough rifles, but, HAD to have a #1 in the safe. Looked hard at kipplaufs as well, settled for the least destructive force on the pocketbook. And I still need to rebarrel the Rook rifle.

I blame it all on reading Gun Digest when I wuz a kid. It's all Elmer Keith's and Jack O'Connors and Ken Waters and John Amber's and Jim Carmichael's and Robert Ruark's fault. Dat's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup all mine all cool and practical to me.....not too concerned about another's thoughts.....
I agree .
The majority of the hunting rifles and shotguns I own are very cool - to me, anyway!
My sanity has been questioned more than once for hunting with some of them firearms I do but I do not hunt to survive , I hunt because I am driven by something inside of me, and enjoy hunting so I may as well hunt with something I like as opposed to a shotgun that has no soul to me .
Cat
Old 12-11-2018, 07:26 AM

I fell into the trap of to much at one time,,, at least it forced me to select the category of shooting sports I wanted to follow,,, and the rifles and hand guns to get me there.

5 or 7 house cleanings took place over the years,,, then 3 years I finally rapped things up,,, all most 40 years to the date. Ha.

A few hunting, target rifles, One 22 rimfire and a old Remmy pump 12 gauge older than dirt it's self,,, 1 compound bow and recurve Trad.

Not sure if I should include the sling shot and pellet gun,,, the spear and sword might come in handy some day,,, oh well... Time will tell.

It's sure nice putting the boots up on the coffee table now that life is simple,,, the only thing I pick up now days is topographical maps of places to visit on my bucket list. Ha.

I don't even look at them that close, that way when I make a wrong turn,,, I seem to find what I'm not looking for.

Tops of mountains are good places to start, at least I can see what the future holds, and what the past left behind,,, ain't no way I'm going back to to much stuff. LOL
Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Much depends on the intention. If onw's goal is to shoot something running, one needs a practical thing. If obe shoots to feel cool and big, the cooler the firearm, the better.