Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
X2!....no respect, common sense, common courtesy, or etiquette any more. It's a me, me, me,...now, now, now world out there now. Good hunting.
I think we call them millenials.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Curious. Why would you move on if you saw a vehicle (indicating someone was in there), but not if you saw a note indicating someone was in there and had parked elsewhere? What's the difference? Not criticizing or arguing (honestly. I'm not going to do the note thing again anyway), just curious.
First of all I probably wouldn't see your note in the dark as I arrive very early to secure my spot by parking but none the less think about it. Not saying that anyone would do it but a lot of access could be tied up by 'post-it notes'. Afraid those days are long gone unfortunately.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupnorth View Post
First of all I probably wouldn't see your note in the dark as I arrive very early to secure my spot by parking but none the less think about it. Not saying that anyone would do it but a lot of access could be tied up by 'post-it notes'. Afraid those days are long gone unfortunately.
Ok, thank you.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Respect

I was bow hunting a private spot years ago one day pulled in and parked in the usuall spot no other vehicles in sight .got all my goodies on took the half mile walk thru the bush to my stand as i approach a small clearing ajacent to my tree ..i look up and theres a dude actually sitting in my stand im thinkin WTF.? As i get about 10 ft from it i see 2 big bugged out eye balls i had about 7 words for him before he retreated to wherever his truck was parked ... man i was ****ed
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This isn't a rant. It's more of an "Am I off base in my expectations?" I'm happy to readjust them if I am.

Two weeks ago I go to hunt some private land I have permission on, arriving well before legal light. Another truck is just ahead of me and parks at the south east corner of the section I was planning to hunt (no uncommon. It's a busy area). I wanted to hunt the same area, but start at the western end. Anyway, I tell the two young men that they got there first so I will leave that section (four quarters) to them, and hunt further down. Good luck, have fun, all that.

I should add here that I am assuming that everyone has permission. I know I'm NOT the only person the owner gives permission to. So lets' make that assumption for the purposes of this post.

Next weekend I arrive even earlier and I'm the first person around. I stop at the south east corner and leave a note on a post that I'm in hunting the section that morning. I don't say anything like "keep out" or anything like that. It's not my land or my place to say that. I just wanted to let folks know I was there. I then drive to the west end and start to hunt my way in.

Within an hour or two. I'm running into other hunters who have arrived and are hunting the same area. Two trucks are parked right where I left my sign (which is still there and very visible), and two more are parked no more than 200 yards further down the road (had to pass the first two trucks and then pull over and park).

So my question is, am I unreasonable in my expectation around giving other hunters who arrive in an area first a wide birth? I used a section as my measure. Is that too much? Should I give or expect less? A quarter only? or is it reasonable for another hunter to enter the same quarter? What you think? Again, let's assume everyone has permission. I don't want to have confrontations in the field regardless of the answer (not my style, and I'm assuming these other people are friends of the land owner, so I don't want to make any trouble), but perhaps I don't need to feel as peeved, or get out there early trying to be first, like it gets me anything. Thanks.
You are reasonable and considerate. I do the same although I have around 8 sections of land where I am granted permission each year; I can easily move to another parcel if others are already present.

I would challenge you on one thing though and that is using the "pressure" of other hunters to your advantage. There is nothing more thrilling than to have "your" big buck presented due to the late comers pushing him to you.

I have shot some nice bucks because they were spooked by the guys who pulled in later and parked next to my truck.

Use the "inconsiderate" to your advantage
Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM
Banned

your not off base... i was on a large section of private land for nov first and ran into some complete whack jobs who accused us of not having permission. I think they were uspet that i bagged my moose as they came turning arounf the bush.. Of which the landowner frowns upon... hunt on his land but dont drive all over it unless absolutely needed.

We ran into another hunting group on the same land who spotted some moose in the field. Even though my group still needed a tag filled we offered to help push them closer to them.

In the end we all filled our tags.. even the complete whack jobs who were so busy yelling at us that they pushed a cow to some of my hunting partners. These idiots even dropped guys off at each end of the bush where i was taking over the area..

Ill continue to be courteous and respectful even though some arent. I know i wouldnt hesitate to leave the whack jobs in the middle of no where if they were stuck..
Old 11-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox208 View Post
I'm not here to argue with you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not arguing.just trying to figure out where you are coming from. It sounded like you went off on guys that got too close to where you were hunting and had words for them. So I was curious how they were supposed to know where and what you were doing. A parked vehicle doesn't usually give much info.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I'm not arguing.just trying to figure out where you are coming from. It sounded like you went off on guys that got too close to where you were hunting and had words for them. So I was curious how they were supposed to know where and what you were doing. A parked vehicle doesn't usually give much info.
Actually during hunting season any vehicle parked on or the edge of a field is a sign of hunting.

Unless a person is trespassing, they would be doing there due diligence to also post their vehicle.

Anyone who enters a parcel who suspects another hunter is present, is also increasing the chances of something other than an animal being shot.

The hunter who is in the field first also must recognize that others can show up later. Therefore he or she must also be diligent in discharging their firearm safely.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2016, 04:35 AM

The owner of the property that I sometimes hunt on has posted a calendar on google drive. You go there and put your name on the day you want to go out on and nobody else will show up to disturb your hunt.

Great solution and stops any misunderstandings.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:37 AM

The issue is density.

I reckon you can fit more guys in a 1/4 that are blind or still hunting than quadding or driving.

Not sure tying up a full section to truck hunt is ok in my books - unless I own the land.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Gone Hunting

You're not wrong. You're not always right, but you are never wrong.
I read posts like this and SMH. I would simply not hunt in places like that. I have in the past and the experience was less than enjoyable. Like kissing Grandma at Christmas and she slips you her tongue.

I have hunted areas where there was lots of pressure and not much common sense or courtesy. It didn't take long to realize that if the great unwashed masses are still unwashed masses by the time they are adults, there is not much hope of 'fixing' this.

I changed tactics. If I ended up in such an area especially this late in the rut, then instead of still hunting for the day, I brought out the thermos and sat. It is quite rewarding to have several two legged hounds moving the already horny game. I have been successful many times when all the others who were 'hunting' were not successful.

Good luck Okie and keep your head down.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Default Some people's children

Quote:
Well maybe you were berry picking? Or gathering some birch bark to make calls? Or making out in the woods with your girlfriend?

I wouldn't consider a vehicle parked at an oil well as an obvious sign that someone had staked a private hunting reserve.

Unfortunately, this seems to becoming a more common view. Let's pretend I am not being an *****hat because the guy parked might be picking berries in November
Old 11-15-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knacker View Post
Actually during hunting season any vehicle parked on or the edge of a field is a sign of hunting.

Unless a person is trespassing, they would be doing there due diligence to also post their vehicle.

Anyone who enters a parcel who suspects another hunter is present, is also increasing the chances of something other than an animal being shot.

The hunter who is in the field first also must recognize that others can show up later. Therefore he or she must also be diligent in discharging their firearm safely.
Oh I get that part. What I don't understand is being out hunting and thinking you have a right to chew out some other hunters that happen to be in the same area as you, on public land especially. Having spent years in the woods I am aware there is usually more than 1 way into a prime hunting area....so I was trying to get a handle on how he could be so sure they knowingly infringed on 'his' spot, that he would chew them out.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Ok I guess I'll explain further. This truck had seen me in the area the day prior, so yes they knew I was hunting, they also knew better than to be in that area, but chose to play dumb instead. The lease I was parked on is in the middle of a wide open quarter bordering badlands river valley, also a dead end at this quarter. Very easy to understand where I would be hunting in that area, especially since they also waited many years for the same tag I was hunting. They simply did not care that I had arrived at that spot well before them, and decided to make a potentially dangerous situation. Had they started shooting at the buck I was waiting on, bullets would have passed over my head. I had walked down into the valley waiting for the buck to show himself, in which they also spooked when they skylined themselves 150 yards above my location. I had every right to be ****ed off in this situation, I hiked straight up the hill towards these two idiots and they were a bunch of chicken ****s that started walking back to their truck before I could make it out of the valley. So I made a point of confronting them after I made it to my truck to drive over to them. One guy didn't want any problems and got the hint, the other had some bad attitude saying it's a free country. I could have stepped out of the truck but I left and hunted somewhere else after that. Say what you will, I feel I did nothing wrong in this situation.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
You're not wrong. You're not always right, but you are never wrong.
I read posts like this and SMH. I would simply not hunt in places like that. I have in the past and the experience was less than enjoyable. Like kissing Grandma at Christmas and she slips you her tongue.

I have hunted areas where there was lots of pressure and not much common sense or courtesy. It didn't take long to realize that if the great unwashed masses are still unwashed masses by the time they are adults, there is not much hope of 'fixing' this.

I changed tactics. If I ended up in such an area especially this late in the rut, then instead of still hunting for the day, I brought out the thermos and sat. It is quite rewarding to have several two legged hounds moving the already horny game. I have been successful many times when all the others who were 'hunting' were not successful.

Good luck Okie and keep your head down.
What's the drive time from Okotoks to Bodo??? hmmmmmm. Sounds like I need to get out to the promised land.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Buy a quarter and shut up. If people who want to live in the city stayed in the city a lot of problems would be averted.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Buy a quarter and shut up. If people who want to live in the city stayed in the city a lot of problems would be averted.
LOL Wondered when this thread would turn. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default And vice versa

If the hayseeds would just drive in their fields , in stead of trying
To negotiate paved roads, life in town would be a lot easier .
As luck would have it , the only problems I have had with trespassers
On my permissions are country bumpkin locals . Most simple binder pilots
Do not have any kind of sporting ethic .
Oko your not wrong but your expectations are out of whack , it seems
when you put the average Joe in the great outdoors with a gun , brain
Dead is instantaneous.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM

I think a whole section is a little much. I usually leave guys to their own quarter section. We had a small incident on Sunday morning: we were hiking into an oat field and saw lights already in there. Someone's headlamp. They started flashing it at us and we respectfully headed to another area to hunt. To me a quarter section is too small for two groups or more. But a whole section is definitely enough to hold 3 to 4 groups in my mind.
You did the right thing on your end. What's in question is the ethics of the guys who blatantly ignored it. As our population grows this will only get worse and worse.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:40 PM

Thanks to everyone who offered an opinion.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox208 View Post
Ok I guess I'll explain further. This truck had seen me in the area the day prior, so yes they knew I was hunting, they also knew better than to be in that area, but chose to play dumb instead. The lease I was parked on is in the middle of a wide open quarter bordering badlands river valley, also a dead end at this quarter. Very easy to understand where I would be hunting in that area, especially since they also waited many years for the same tag I was hunting. They simply did not care that I had arrived at that spot well before them, and decided to make a potentially dangerous situation. Had they started shooting at the buck I was waiting on, bullets would have passed over my head. I had walked down into the valley waiting for the buck to show himself, in which they also spooked when they skylined themselves 150 yards above my location. I had every right to be ****ed off in this situation, I hiked straight up the hill towards these two idiots and they were a bunch of chicken ****s that started walking back to their truck before I could make it out of the valley. So I made a point of confronting them after I made it to my truck to drive over to them. One guy didn't want any problems and got the hint, the other had some bad attitude saying it's a free country. I could have stepped out of the truck but I left and hunted somewhere else after that. Say what you will, I feel I did nothing wrong in this situation.

That makes more sense, thanks for explaining what happened!!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:49 PM

"it seems
when you put the average Joe in the great outdoors with a gun , brain
Dead is instantaneous".

x2
Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 PM

At quite a few places in the south they have sign up days for the hunting season. Permission slips get displayed on the dash and carried in the wallet. I really think this helps to decrease problems for everybody.

A full section of land could have quite a few hunters on it, without them ever bumping in to each other.

In the situation described in the OP, I don't think that people should be parking next to other vehicles. Parking a full mile away should not cause a problem.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryones View Post
The owner of the property that I sometimes hunt on has posted a calendar on google drive. You go there and put your name on the day you want to go out on and nobody else will show up to disturb your hunt.

Great solution and stops any misunderstandings.

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:30 PM

I've had a couple of incidents running into other hunters in the field. One was opening morning for birds, we had a field lined up from the Hutterites and when we showed up there was already another group setting up. They had 5 hunters I think and we had 4 in our group. My initial though was if the groups were small enough we may be able to combine and hunt the field together. Once I realized there were 9 people we were going to have to try and hide, I followed the first come-first served rule and we went to another location. When bird hunting I would say a section is a reasonable amount of space to leave between groups.

Second time was deer hunting the bow zone. I had permission on a landlocked section that was surrounded by other private land and did not have very good access from roads. I ran into a few guys there, had a quick chat and went our separate ways. I saw them again a couple more times, or more so I saw their truck. I knew where on the land they wanted to hunt, and I knew where I wanted to hunt and they were at opposite corners of the property. So I parked and made my way to my spot. If we were on a quarter section I probably would have left it to them, but like was mentioned above, if you are big game hunting, especially with a bow I think a section would easily accommodate multiple hunters at one time.

I think the most important part Oko, you have already figured out. Just be respectful. Just because someone else has permission on the same property as you does not make them an idiot or a bad person just because they want to hunt it, even when you may be out there already. They are out there for the same reasons that you are, the enjoyment of the outdoors. Make an attempt to be courteous and a good fellow sportsman and you will see the favor repaid by the people that you encounter.