Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 11:54 AM

Default Am I off base?

This isn't a rant. It's more of an "Am I off base in my expectations?" I'm happy to readjust them if I am.

Two weeks ago I go to hunt some private land I have permission on, arriving well before legal light. Another truck is just ahead of me and parks at the south east corner of the section I was planning to hunt (no uncommon. It's a busy area). I wanted to hunt the same area, but start at the western end. Anyway, I tell the two young men that they got there first so I will leave that section (four quarters) to them, and hunt further down. Good luck, have fun, all that.

I should add here that I am assuming that everyone has permission. I know I'm NOT the only person the owner gives permission to. So lets' make that assumption for the purposes of this post.

Next weekend I arrive even earlier and I'm the first person around. I stop at the south east corner and leave a note on a post that I'm in hunting the section that morning. I don't say anything like "keep out" or anything like that. It's not my land or my place to say that. I just wanted to let folks know I was there. I then drive to the west end and start to hunt my way in.

Within an hour or two. I'm running into other hunters who have arrived and are hunting the same area. Two trucks are parked right where I left my sign (which is still there and very visible), and two more are parked no more than 200 yards further down the road (had to pass the first two trucks and then pull over and park).

So my question is, am I unreasonable in my expectation around giving other hunters who arrive in an area first a wide birth? I used a section as my measure. Is that too much? Should I give or expect less? A quarter only? or is it reasonable for another hunter to enter the same quarter? What you think? Again, let's assume everyone has permission. I don't want to have confrontations in the field regardless of the answer (not my style, and I'm assuming these other people are friends of the land owner, so I don't want to make any trouble), but perhaps I don't need to feel as peeved, or get out there early trying to be first, like it gets me anything. Thanks.

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-14-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Default Off Base

Tough call- but if a landowner is providing permission to that many hunters I might be incline to head for a different spot. However if I were to arrive and your vehicle was there I would respect the fact that you were there first I would likely head to a different location especially if I were unable to talk to you. Bird hunting is a little different as there is room for a few but even in this instance I personally would go to another spot respecting the area you are were hunting.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM

I had some hunters decide to hunt the same quarter section as myself first week of nov. I had some words with them stating there would be some big problems if they chose to do that again as I don't take lightly to people shooting over my head when I'm clearly hunting in the area. Their response was "it's a free country." No respect or common sense left these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM

you sir are a generous man. i hunted on sat there were 12 hunters on the section i was hunting on ,opening day its worse but there are more deer running around . i never thought about arriving early and posting a note that i was hunting there and expect everyone else to go somewhere else all have to try that . i think i would lower my expectations .
Old 11-14-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Not the same but...

Yeah I am finding common sense seems to be lacking a little lately. I don't think you were off base in your expectations but then again some of the most recent behavior I have been seeing is the same. Prime example, I was parked just off a cutline long before legal light and walked down to a nice little spot. Sat and about and hour and a half later a guy comes walking down...says "oh I didn't know you were down here but I am going a little further down anyways". He passes me and keeps walking. When I left I found his truck parked beside mine. This is on crown mind you but it is a huge area, show a bit of respect.

Good luck out there and be safe!

Morb
Old 11-14-2016, 12:51 PM

The very same thing happened at a friend's land.. Large piece but limited access that makes sense. The son and I parked, no one else around, and headed out. Part way through our circuit, we happen across another hunter. He says, " we parked by your truck, the other guy is over.." blah blah blah . No clue.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 12:53 PM

I feel that you were fair to the others and that they did not show you the same level of respect! IMO you are not out of line

These sorts of interactions are becoming commonplace on private land now
There is a "new generation" of "hunters" afield nowadays where respect and common sense isn't very common.

This is exactly the sort of thing that caused me to abandon private land hunting (except for a few quiet spots) in favour of the big bush

I see way less deer out in the big bush but never see another hunter ! (Once I get away from the road )lol

Good luck Oki
Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM

You are fair OKo, but others may not be.
I posted a reply on "reality check" thread that landowners that say either no, or yes to whom ever asks, well you may as well go elsewhere anyways.
Only way to ensure you don't have a wasted day bumping into other hunters is to try and get better info out of landowners who do give permission.
Do the let many other on ? Can you set up a date when nobody else is on ?
Hard to ensure that you'll have a save and roomy hunt for yourselves.
And I would think a quarter is plenty of room for a few hunters.

TBark
Old 11-14-2016, 12:58 PM

Default You are off base.

Good manners aside....

If the landowner gives permission to many hunters that means many hunters can go there when ever they want.

I Personally leave first come,to first served in the scenario. But no one else seems to follow that. Good Manners seems to be dead.

I have one place I have hunted for 20 years. Owners always want a call before you go so they know only one party is hunting. If you call and say you are coming they don't let anyone else in. One of the others that are often out there called while we were having coffee this morning and said they wanted to come every day for the last week of the season. They were told that they could pick a day not a week.

There is little decency left in the world.

You ( and I ) are off base thinking people would be reasonable and decent.

I have given up on it.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:58 PM

The crown area I hunt is a staging area for quads and sleds do if I see trucks there I disregard them.
I did meet one person once when I went to my normal stand of spruces and he was behind me .
He came out and I told him I was going to be there but would go the other way ,
I shot a buck about 46 minutes later on a different trail that branched off that one .
Cat
Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM

Default No respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
Yeah I am finding common sense seems to be lacking a little lately. I don't think you were off base in your expectations but then again some of the most recent behavior I have been seeing is the same. Prime example, I was parked just off a cutline long before legal light and walked down to a nice little spot. Sat and about and hour and a half later a guy comes walking down...says "oh I didn't know you were down here but I am going a little further down anyways". He passes me and keeps walking. When I left I found his truck parked beside mine. This is on crown mind you but it is a huge area, show a bit of respect.

Morb
First off, I know crown is "Public" but!!!. I bumped into a guy over the weekend, he was headed up a cutline i was still hunting. I informed him I was hunting and he said ok and moved on. About half hour later i hear a thrashing about 60 yards down the hill from me, he was bushwacking the hill side below me, along side of where I was sitting. After he bumped all the deer out of the area, called it a day and head back to the truck. He parked 50 yards behind me. I couldnt believe it.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox208 View Post
I had some hunters decide to hunt the same quarter section as myself first week of nov. I had some words with them stating there would be some big problems if they chose to do that again as I don't take lightly to people shooting over my head when I'm clearly hunting in the area. Their response was "it's a free country." No respect or common sense left these days

Curious, how would they know which quarter you were hunting on? Did you have it posted and ribboned off?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Am I off base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Curious, how would they know which quarter you were hunting on? Did you have it posted and ribboned off?

I was parked in the middle of it at the oil well. blatantly obvious.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This isn't a rant. It's more of an "Am I off base in my expectations?" I'm happy to readjust them if I am.

Two weeks ago I go to hunt some private land I have permission on, arriving well before legal light. Another truck is just ahead of me and parks at the south east corner of the section I was planning to hunt (no uncommon. It's a busy area). I wanted to hunt the same area, but start at the western end. Anyway, I tell the two young men that they got there first so I will leave that section (four quarters) to them, and hunt further down. Good luck, have fun, all that.

I should add here that I am assuming that everyone has permission. I know I'm NOT the only person the owner gives permission to. So lets' make that assumption for the purposes of this post.

Next weekend I arrive even earlier and I'm the first person around. I stop at the south east corner and leave a note on a post that I'm in hunting the section that morning. I don't say anything like "keep out" or anything like that. It's not my land or my place to say that. I just wanted to let folks know I was there. I then drive to the west end and start to hunt my way in.

Within an hour or two. I'm running into other hunters who have arrived and are hunting the same area. Two trucks are parked right where I left my sign (which is still there and very visible), and two more are parked no more than 200 yards further down the road (had to pass the first two trucks and then pull over and park).

So my question is, am I unreasonable in my expectation around giving other hunters who arrive in an area first a wide birth? I used a section as my measure. Is that too much? Should I give or expect less? A quarter only? or is it reasonable for another hunter to enter the same quarter? What you think? Again, let's assume everyone has permission. I don't want to have confrontations in the field regardless of the answer (not my style, and I'm assuming these other people are friends of the land owner, so I don't want to make any trouble), but perhaps I don't need to feel as peeved, or get out there early trying to be first, like it gets me anything. Thanks.
If you are expecting to secure a whole section as your private hunting spot I think you are being unreasonable. About all you can do if there are too many hunters for you liking is find a better spot. IMHO
Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I was parked in the middle of it at the oil well. blatantly obvious...

Well maybe you were berry picking? Or gathering some birch bark to make calls? Or making out in the woods with your girlfriend?

I wouldn't consider a vehicle parked at an oil well as an obvious sign that someone had staked a private hunting reserve.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Well maybe you were berry picking? Or gathering some birch bark to make calls? Or making out in the woods with your girlfriend?

I wouldn't consider a vehicle parked at an oil well as an obvious sign that someone had staked a private hunting reserve.

I'm not here to argue with you..

Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM

I have no clue what means of weapon everyone is using here, but this is why my rifle hasn't left the safe and I will stick to archery zones for the most part.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I have no clue what means of weapon everyone is using here, but this is why my rifle hasn't left the safe and I will stick to archery zones for the most part.
Edmonton bow zone is just as bad or worse. Had multiple times this year where guys parked right next to me and followed me in(when there's access to the land from the other side), this past weekend a guy walked right up to me in my stand to "chat". People have no respect or much common sense these days IMO.....
Old 11-14-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post

Morb
Had the same happen many times on crown land, brutal that they can say that and walk right by with a straight face. When I go in and see someone ahead of me, its off i go in the opposite direction for that day or until i see they have moved on and by that i mean, jumped in their truck or atv and left.

Been there too Oki, it's why i gave up on hunting farm land. Owner gives permission to whoever including you, you get there first and while your gearing up, a local pulls up and tells you to move on cause so and so said they could hunt there too and they have a couple guys already walking in from the other side.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Next time just show up in your camo speedo again, and a big jug of suntan lotion.

I'm willing to bet that you'll have the area to yourself in short order.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:12 PM

Still hunting, walking cuts, pushing bush, tree stand/blind hunting? - What are you doing and what are they doing?

How big the is the hunting space and how close to a major city ie expected pressure?

These are factors I think.

Not sure I would expect anyone to give me a section or even a quarter.

I am fortunate that where I hunt there is hardly anyone that we bump into. If seeing others sets me off I will seek more remote and deeper bush.

Just my 4 cents
Old 11-14-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Next time just show up in your camo speedo again, and a big jug of suntan lotion.

I'm willing to bet that you'll have the area to yourself in short order.
yeah, except for you. When I saw Albertadiver was the last poster, I just knew what was coming.... LOL

This one's for you 'diver.

As to the original issue, I think I'm just not going to worry about it. It is what it is. I'll finish up this year and not be concerned if I run into other hunters. Next year I'll see about rustling up some access in other places less crowded. If I'm bothered it's up to me to move.

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-14-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

I move on if other vehicles are there first but would not pay attention to a note left to tie up the area.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupnorth View Post
I move on if other vehicles are there first but would not pay attention to a note left to tie up the area.
Curious. Why would you move on if you saw a vehicle (indicating someone was in there), but not if you saw a note indicating someone was in there and had parked elsewhere? What's the difference? Not criticizing or arguing (honestly. I'm not going to do the note thing again anyway), just curious.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:35 PM

You showed consideration and common sense, the others did not.

If possible try to have a face to face with the other hunters and work out a beneficial schedule/plan amongst your selves.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:45 PM

Always move on if other vehicles are present.

Common sense is a rare commodity these days, no wonder we have so many safety officers!
Old 11-14-2016, 04:47 PM

On the other hand what happens if it is the only place a person has secured permission on, has set up his stand and invested countless hours scouting, putting up trail cams, patterning animals and maybe is after a particular animal. Someone else who has no time invested in the area phones the landowner the evening before and secures permission and shows up 2 minutes earlier than him. Is he supposed to turn around and go home because someone else is parked there when he arrives. What happens when someone sets up camp and stays there for a week, is everyone else supposed to leave it to them as their own private hunting preserve.

The problem these days is more hunters and less places allowing hunting permission. There are more hunters than places to hunt, people are going to have to learn to share.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Some hunters like the Walmart mentality, close quarters etc
Myself hate it and avoid it but if the landowners gives permission to hunt it then you control the only factor you can which is you...choices.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Their response was "it's a free country." No respect or common sense left these days

X2!....no respect, common sense, common courtesy, or etiquette any more. It's a me, me, me,...now, now, now world out there now. Good hunting.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
if the landowners gives permission to hunt it then you control the only factor you can which is you...choices.
Yup. That's really the bottom line.