Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Elk hunting in 328

Iv been hunting in 328 around horberg the last couple years, last year I found scrapes and lots of tracks and this year just tracks. Iv been trying to call an elk in and have not been able to. Should I change locations or practice my calls more or what? I'm still new to hunting, and im 17, anyone have any luck out there? I'm heading out next weekend and possibly this tuesday or wednesday to try and wack an elk any tips or suggestions? Anything would help and would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 PM

Keep at it and you'll conect! Takes time.
Best of luck.
RBH
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Ive hunted around there as well. Elk aren't like whitetails, they move much further and are much more sensitive to pressure. If you are finding fresh droppings (still steaming) and hearing them at night they are close, if not they may be gone. I've had better luck with very sparse calling, just a chirp here and there, any more and they will probably know the difference between you and a real elk. Usually better if they don't know you're around. Remember everyone who trys to imitate the primos boys are educating these elk, and they learn quick. Hunt the wind, watch the thermals, and keep trying. Then again I've been trying to arrow a bull for years, so maybe just do the opposite of what I say. Good luck.