Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM

Default Land size

Where I usually hunt we have permission on 2 full sections of land and a few quarter sections scattered around. I moved to saskatoon last year but still drove the hour and a half to hunt back with my dad (I moved back to sask after college a few years ago). Last night I was out doing a little scouting trying to find a place near saskatoon and saw a very nice buck in an alfalfa field. There was a house just a little ways down the road and they were nice enough to give me permission. It turns out they only own half the section though. The buck was in their property but appears to be coming out of the neighbors property. Where he was it is about 300 meters of field and then 100 meters of bush before the neighbors property. The neighbor has his land posted no hunting and there is no way he will let hunters on. I'm worried that if I shoot the deer he might make it over the fence and I will have a hard time recovering him. So I guess my question is, is half a quarter too small of an area to hunt in this situation?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

No but I understand your concern.
I would make extra sure my guns on before you hunt that field.
Then when he comes out if he's big enough shoot thru the front shoulders and be ready for a follow up shot.
I don't know the exact legalities but I don't think the other owner has to let you on even if the animal in injured.
So make sure your first shot is a good one and be ready to keep giving him medicine if he doesn't go down.
Good luck to you!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM

If you shoot him on land you have permission on and he runs over to the neighbors to die, let the neighboring land owner know and ask if you can retrieve the deer. If that doesnt work call fish and feathers and let them know and they will get your game for you. Just make sure you shoot on the land you have permission on.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
If you shoot him on land you have permission on and he runs over to the neighbors to die, let the neighboring land owner know and ask if you can retrieve the deer. If that doesnt work call fish and feathers and let them know and they will get your game for you. Just make sure you shoot on the land you have permission on.
X2.

The land owner has to let either you or F&W retrieve the animal.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing as all you guys. This is an archery, shotgun, muzzleloader zone and I only have a bow so dropping him in his tracks isn't really a great option. I'm hoping to hunt him pretty soon before he changes his patterns too much so heat and spoilage is going to be an issue. I heard of getting f&w to help retrieve it but how long is that going to take?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM

I've heard that even with fish and wildlife he doesn't have to let either of you on.
That's only what I've heard so I don't know the exact laws. Just be extra confident with your shot and be ready to give him more if he doesn't drop.
I would also call fish and wildlife and find out for sure. If they are able to retrieve it then I wouldn't worry.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Let us know if you find out the law.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
Let us know if you find out the law.
X2 I'd like to know that too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
X2.

The land owner has to let either you or F&W retrieve the animal.
Where did you pull that out of? I don't believe that for one second, if the guy says no, on one get on without a court order, and I doubt you'd find a judge to agree to that.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-13-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
I've heard that even with fish and wildlife he doesn't have to let either of you on.
That's only what I've heard so I don't know the exact laws. Just be extra confident with your shot and be ready to give him more if he doesn't drop.
I would also call fish and wildlife and find out for sure. If they are able to retrieve it then I wouldn't worry.
I've heard the same thing too
Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 AM

In AB the land owner has to let you or F and W on to get the animal.

I'm guessing in sask its got to be the same.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
In AB the land owner has to let you or F and W on to get the animal.

I'm guessing in sask its got to be the same.
Here's the answer from the "ask the F&W"
March 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: If a wounded game animal enters private property and the landowner does not give the hunter consent to retrieve the animal, does Fish & Wildlife have the authority to retrieve or allow retrieval, even against the landowner’s consent? And if not, is not the landowner willfully allowing a wounded animal to be wasted or abandoned?

Answer: Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers have the authority to retrieve wounded game on private land without consent from the landowner. If a hunter is unable to secure permission from a landowner to retrieve wounded game from their property, the hunter should contact the local Fish and Wildlife District officer.
Question: If a wounded game animal enters private property and the landowner does not give the hunter consent to retrieve the animal, does Fish & Wildlife have the authority to retrieve or allow retrieval, even against the landowner’s consent? And if not, is not the landowner willfully allowing a wounded animal to be wasted or abandoned?

Answer: Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers have the authority to retrieve wounded game on private land without consent from the landowner. If a hunter is unable to secure permission from a landowner to retrieve wounded game from their property, the hunter should contact the local Fish and Wildlife District officer. There are no special requirements as to the type of electronic call or specific sound tracks to be contained therein, so let’s assume the call contains one snow goose sound track, four speck tracks, three Canada goose tracks, and four duck sound tracks.

March 2013

Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM

It will help to make the shot when the animal is heading away from the private land. Most seriously wounded animals will run the direction they are headed or turn away from the side of impact.
Take your time and make a good shot, a short follow up should be the result.
I have shot several deer on a property that is only 20 acres. Never had a problem but you do need to plan your hunt location a little better.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Rumours, gotta love 'em.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Here's the answer from the "ask the F&W"
March 2013

March 2013

Answer: Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers have the authority to retrieve wounded game on private land without consent from the landowner. If a hunter is unable to secure permission from a landowner to retrieve wounded game from their property, the hunter should contact the local Fish and Wildlife District officer.

Answer: Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers have the authority to retrieve wounded game on private land without consent from the landowner. If a hunter is unable to secure permission from a landowner to retrieve wounded game from their property, the hunter should contact the local Fish and Wildlife District officer. There are no special requirements as to the type of electronic call or specific sound tracks to be contained therein, so let’s assume the call contains one snow goose sound track, four speck tracks, three Canada goose tracks, and four duck sound tracks.

March 2013

Make sure your e caller is in good working order when you are getting ready to arrow the buck it might draw him in closer
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM

Pikergolf said,

Where did you pull that out of? I don't believe that for one second, if the guy says no, on one get on without a court order, and I doubt you'd find a judge to agree to that.

Wow, apologies to Ryry4, still having a hard time believing that, I'd guess that is a job that would not be popular with F&W.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM

There are a few more points to consider, the first being that you can prove that you shot the animal on property to which you have access. If you can't prove this, and there is no blood,or physical evidence, until the animal reaches the property that you don't have permission on, you might find yourself facing charges. And if you attempted a finishing shot, with the animal on the land that you don't have permission, you may have provided the evidence that will lead to charges against you. Whatever you do, don't trespass on the land to check out, or tag the animal, even if you can see it , and it is close to the boundary, or you will have committed an offense.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM

I am going to have to dig a little further into the f&w recovering the animal for you over here in sask. All I can find in the regs is that you have to secure permission from the land owner to recover it. I think with the advise you guys have have I might try set on the north edge of the field in this little strip of bush about 100 yards further from the neighboring property instead of near the trail they are coming out of. I also will limit my shots to about 25 yards even though I've been practicing to 40. As far as evidence proving I shot it on the right property I guess I will have to hope for a some blood but in 100 yards I should get some blood as lond as I make a decent shot.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are a few more points to consider, the first being that you can prove that you shot the animal on property to which you have access. If you can't prove this, and there is no blood,or physical evidence, until the animal reaches the property that you don't have permission on, you might find yourself facing charges. And if you attempted a finishing shot, with the animal on the land that you don't have permission, you may have provided the evidence that will lead to charges against you. Whatever you do, don't trespass on the land to check out, or tag the animal, even if you can see it , and it is close to the boundary, or you will have committed an offense.
How would you "prove" you didn't do something? You would imagine a competent F&W officer could determine the point of impact based on track reaction to the shot.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

You don't have to prove you shot the animal on land you have permission on. If someone says that you shot the animal on land you do not have permission on, they have to prove this.

IF you have to give a "finishing shot" on an animal I would only do so on land you have permission on. So I would not try to finish the animal on land you don't have permission on.

Interestingly enough there is a newer law that says you can't allow an animal to suffer when hunting. I can't remember the exact wording so don't quote me. But it boils down to if you wound an animal you can't stand there and let it suffer if you have the ability to end it's suffering. Again, don't quote me exactly what the law states but its along these lines. So this might come into play as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM

hunt it! attempt, as you always do, to make a clean quick kill. if the animal happens to go die on property you do not have permission on, go talk to the landowner, ask for permission to retrieve your game, offer to take him to the site you shot the animal at if needed. if he still says no, leave and call the local fish cops, who will follow the same process, confirm where you shot the animal and will go with you to retrieve the game regardless as this is the law in alberta.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Nevermind......pikergolf already noted the sticky
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
You don't have to prove you shot the animal on land you have permission on. If someone says that you shot the animal on land you do not have permission on, they have to prove this.
If I was going to bring F&W into a dispute between myself and a landowner, I don't want to be accused by the landowner of shooting the animal on his property, and have it come down to my word against his. If the only blood, or the only sign of the animal being injured occurs on the landowner's property, you might find yourself defending yourself against charges.

Quote:
How would you "prove" you didn't do something? You would imagine a competent F&W officer could determine the point of impact based on track reaction to the shot.
Unfortunately, it isn't always as simple as it is made out to be on CSI.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 PM

Introduce yourself to the guy and let him know your bow hunting over there, and explain that a bow shot deer can travel a fair ways and if need arises to access to retrieve. Exchange numbers and let him know you'll phone first if this happens.
Maybe he likes deer and wouldn't want one suffering or rotting on his place.