Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 PM

Default Sitka vs Kuiu???

who has tried both what do you like and what dont you like about either one. I have some sitka now and there is a seam on the pants that let loose which i was surprised with given how much they charge for the stuff. Just want some opinions?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 AM

My opinion only, I prefer KUIU. KUIU fits a little smaller and I am not a huge guy so there stuff fits me properly. As for quality both are pretty good, I do prefer the KUIU camo pattern but thats just personal preference. I think there is a thread on this a long time ago as well if you do a search.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM

I've never used any Sitka. What I like about Kuiu is they have some wool shirts. Much better than any synthetic stuff I've tried.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 AM

Both are good and both have great return policies. I had a zipper on a Sitka jacket come off in the first season of use and they swapped it out for a new one. Then when UPS (try to always avoid UPS!) charged me a ridiculous amount for the new jacket they sent me a backpack free.

Kuiu is nice gear as well and oddly enough I had a zipper issue (just the small arm pocket zipper), and they dealt with it.

Hmmm... I must be hard on zippers.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
My opinion only, I prefer KUIU. KUIU fits a little smaller and I am not a huge guy so there stuff fits me properly. As for quality both are pretty good, I do prefer the KUIU camo pattern but thats just personal preference. I think there is a thread on this a long time ago as well if you do a search.
X2

I like how there gear fit proper and snug, also just used kuiu in Africa for
Two weeks, and my gator guards are good as new after a wash, never broke a
Strap or seam.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM

I use a mixture of both and love them both. I like the wool of the kuiu baselayers compared to synthetics of sitka. I like the fact that you can try on sitka gear at stores though. They're both designed for an athletic fit which means sizing is important, especially when adding layers. So the ability to try the stuff on helps put my mind at ease when spending that much $$$
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 AM

I have a little kuiu and quite a bit if Sitka. I like them both. However I just got back from a very rainy ram hunt and I have to say my storm front stuff never soaked through where my buddies kuiu Yukon was always damp inside. If your not looking for waterproof however I say both are on equal playing feild.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
I have a little kuiu and quite a bit if Sitka. I like them both. However I just got back from a very rainy ram hunt and I have to say my storm front stuff never soaked through where my buddies kuiu Yukon was always damp inside. If your not looking for waterproof however I say both are on equal playing feild.
IMO, you're buddy must've had the pit zips open or not tightened up the wrist areas if he got wet. Just got back as well from a trip where we encountered LOADS of rain and my Yukon gear was bone dry inside.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Just got the KUIU guide jacket, anyone have any field experience in the rain with it? Just wondering if I need to bring a rain jacket or if the guide is water proof enough? The specs list it as water resistant.

I have a HH Impertech thinking I would spend the $$ on a top of the line rain jacket, thing leaks like a siv. Its OK for a little bit but leave you soaked if outside for very long.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Check out my avatar

I've got no use for Sitka after my initial dealing with them. That was back in the day when they still offered ASAT....I think the second year they were around. Yeah....I can hold a grudge

I did load up on a fair bit of KUIU this season but have not field tested much of it yet.....slated to hit the trail on Thursday at midnight tho

Initial impression of it is good.....but I'll stick with HH Impertech if I wanna stay dry.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Check out my avatar

I've got no use for Sitka after my initial dealing with them. That was back in the day when they still offered ASAT....I think the second year they were around. Yeah....I can hold a grudge

I did load up on a fair bit of KUIU this season but have not field tested much of it yet.....slated to hit the trail on Thursday at midnight tho

Initial impression of it is good.....but I'll stick with HH Impertech if I wanna stay dry.
The same guys you were dealing then are the ones who own kuiu now.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The same guys you were dealing then are the ones who own kuiu now.
Nope....it was a guy named David Brinker or something along those lines.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Nope....it was a guy named David Brinker or something along those lines.
I was talking about the company rather than an individual. Goretex bought out Sitka, then one of the founders of Sitka split and formed kuiu, at least that's what I read.

I almost bought kuiu but the camo they offer is more geared towards mountain terrain, I'm more of a prairie/boreal forrest hunter so I went with Sitka. I think the quality of both are pretty much on par with each other, I prefer natural fabric for my base layers, that's where I'd give kuiu the edge. I don't use either as a base layer tho, I use Icebreaker merino wool, works well for me.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;2113070]I was talking about the company rather than an individual. Goretex bought out Sitka, then one of the founders of Sitka split and formed kuiu, at least that's what I read. QUOTE]

I think you're pretty much correct but it was just Jason that left and started Kuiu. Gore-tex bought Sitka a year or two ago I believe.

And yup....it was an individual thing. Only one conversation with him as well. I've never used their clothing line so I don't bash the quality of it and reports say that it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other in comparison to each other.

I'm not a real big fan of Gore-Tex for rain gear although I have an Arcteryx get up that it pretty awesome. Don't mind it in my boots tho

I hear ya about the prairies.....you should try dressing up like a JD Tractor

Sounds like we have the same taste in gear.....Icebreaker wool is great
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Tundra Monkey;2113121]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I was talking about the company rather than an individual. Goretex bought out Sitka, then one of the founders of Sitka split and formed kuiu, at least that's what I read. QUOTE]

I think you're pretty much correct but it was just Jason that left and started Kuiu. Gore-tex bought Sitka a year or two ago I believe.

And yup....it was an individual thing. Only one conversation with him as well. I've never used their clothing line so I don't bash the quality of it and reports say that it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other in comparison to each other.

I'm not a real big fan of Gore-Tex for rain gear although I have an Arcteryx get up that it pretty awesome. Don't mind it in my boots tho

I hear ya about the prairies.....you should try dressing up like a JD Tractor

Sounds like we have the same taste in gear.....Icebreaker wool is great
Dress like a Jonh Deere and use diesel fuel for scent cover!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Have both Kuiu and Sitka. Kuiu far exceeds expectations to date. Their customer service is unbeatable and the gear is light and tough enough for my kind of "low mountain" hunts. For next year, I am planning higher mountain hunts as well as NWT and the only gear I plan take so far is Kuiu. The sitka stuff is good too but does not fit as well as the Kuiu and is a little "bagged out" , for me anyway.

The two issues I have is that Kuiu are an american company that ships to Canada at high cost. If one were to buy a 150 dollar pair of pants, there's another 30 (approx) to pay in delivery as well as the customs clearing. Can get a little pricey. The other issue is that they have not yet figured out their supply chain. I have had an order in for a few items since June and I am just getting them this week . .. at least I made it before rifle opens. : )
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Thanks for the tip!

Had never heard of Kuiu before seeing it on the board (in this thread no less). Did some research and looked at the reviews I found online...ordered the merino 185 Zip-T yesterday and its already shipped. Had been looking around for a lighter base layer than my Filson merino and pretty excited about finding this option. Have loved wool for a base layer ever since I switched from UA.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 AM

I spent the summer with an outfitter hunting stone rams in the Yukon and my Sitka raingear kept me dry while I heard a lot of guys complaining about their kuiu raingear. Really happy with my Sitka stuff
Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap22 View Post
who has tried both what do you like and what dont you like about either one. I have some sitka now and there is a seam on the pants that let loose which i was surprised with given how much they charge for the stuff. Just want some opinions?
Sitka has a repair shop in Calgary now for warranty work or for repairs I was told,talk to your dealer they will hook you up.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 AM

I've never owned Sitka so can't comment. As for my Kuiu gear so far so good.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Just got the KUIU guide jacket, anyone have any field experience in the rain with it? Just wondering if I need to bring a rain jacket or if the guide is water proof enough? The specs list it as water resistant.

I have a HH Impertech thinking I would spend the $$ on a top of the line rain jacket, thing leaks like a siv. Its OK for a little bit but leave you soaked if outside for very long.
IMO I wouldn't count on the Guide jacket to be your rain gear. I rely on my Chugach jacket during that sort of weather.