Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Joshcat, what makes you think a dog cant adapt to terrain? Do you think they dont know there now hunting off foot instead of horseback? Do your own dogs know the difference between duck hunting, grouse hunting, and pheasant hunting? Why wouldnt a trial dog?
Google Browntown Johnny Reb, look at his accomplishments last year, youll see what i mean.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Winch and gusto are right. There are many levels of performance. Mortlach, the border etc.. are at the highest level. As you move up the levels fewer dogs can compete. NAVHDA AKC/ CKC are the grass roots of the sport and are fun but don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things pointing dog. All Age American Field is the pro level and the place where the real bettering the breed happens. The competition is fierce and dogs are washed out often that can't quite cut it for what ever reason and are not bred. I have seen these "washouts" win like gangbusters at the lower levels as shooting dogs. They are great dogs but not the best of the best. BTW I've never seen any dog compete with a pointer or setter in an all age trial. Some like slow plodding dogs - I like to watch speed and style and endurance. If I had to hunt behind a rocking horse dog all day it would be less enjoyable.

Gusto is right on the money with a grouse trial dog washout. That would be a great full proof way to go.
Im not familiar with how a 'competition' grade pointer or flusher reacts, but I would say providing the advice to buy a former trial dog is absolutely stupid....from a retriever standpoint anyways. If you want to compete with your dog, buy a dog that will compete. If you want to HUNT with your dog, buy a dog that can hunt. Absolutely two different things. In retrievers, trial dogs often don't make the best field dogs. In my opinion anyways....but that's just me. I don't like whiny, vibrating skinny hounds.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Im not familiar with how a 'competition' grade pointer or flusher reacts, but I would say providing the advice to buy a former trial dog is absolutely stupid....from a retriever standpoint anyways. If you want to compete with your dog, buy a dog that will compete. If you want to HUNT with your dog, buy a dog that can hunt. Absolutely two different things. In retrievers, trial dogs often don't make the best field dogs. In my opinion anyways....but that's just me. I don't like whiny, vibrating skinny hounds.
This is simply wrong.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM

Default M C Gusto

They do know the difference, absolutely. I was not bashing. But as I stated I am curious to see this. I am not sating its not possible I am saying I would like to see it. I am not stating anything against big running dogs as I have run the states in big country. I am stating that big running field bred lines are great at hunting big country, not a good choice for a first time owner who will be hunting heavy cover. Show me the difference.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Winch101;2111736]Jryley ,that's not true .....it's a Kerry Blue terrier that is the first dog to win
A triple crown open Akc title ....it's a Akc sanctioned Viszla event that the same
Dog Magyar something or other ,triple crown , a Viszla was the best in a Viszla only trial...that's fricking unbelievable

I don't know about triple crown winner but Chartay is a quintuple Ch. title holder and was the first in AKC..it is a fact.
FC AFC OTCH MACH CH Legacy’s DeChartay 5xUDX MH VC MX MXJ HOF

And AKC field trial events are not Vizsla only unless they are Specialty Field Trial events.

Sadly facts don't seem to interest some.

Last edited by sydney; 09-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
This is simply wrong.
lol but its not. different strokes for different folks. typically comp dogs are more high strung, typically, than a solid field dog. its fact. ive seen plenty of dogs that kick butt in trials and just aren't suitable for some guys in the field.

ESPECIALLY for a guy that doesn't seem to have a ton of history using gundogs! (the op)

A trialing washout would be the worst thing for him. way too much dog to handle at first. You know not what you speak of if you argue that.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Please

We're talking about a Geriatric dog ,that was able to jump over a few sticks
And find her way through a tube ....and some way this has some thing
To do with building a good Bird Dog ....

This is why most gun dog breeds are a little suspect , dumb azzz people
Coming up with dumb things for dogs to do...
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM

You might be surprised on the Pulis. Is a few around. Looked at them briefly before getting our pyrenees.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Default Here are some great cover dogs.

http://www.grouseriverkennels.com

I trialed and hunted All Age and Shooting dog pointers and Brittany's from Texas to Alberta. A good dog is a good dog most can adapt to what you need.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Exactly!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Mc gusto

Well ya learn something new everyday. I do have a question though, I looked up th results from previous years and I noticed that dogs were scores on finds not retrieves. Do they not shoot bird in those trials? That is the first time I have heard of a trial in wild ruffed and woodcock.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Stupid phone spelling again I'm really not a neph
Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Newf ahhhh forget it
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Setter

I like my Setter, he's from the show dog stock, but bred for hunting. He ranges a lot, but not too far, and he can hold on a bird for a long time without flushing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zeek.09 001.jpg (48.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
Well ya learn something new everyday. I do have a question though, I looked up th results from previous years and I noticed that dogs were scores on finds not retrieves. Do they not shoot bird in those trials? That is the first time I have heard of a trial in wild ruffed and woodcock.
NSTRA a form of "speed trial" does have retrieving. Some good videos on youtube. Some other forms of walking dog trials also have retrieving but the vast majority dont have retrieving anymore. The issue was getting insurance for firearms. It got too expensive, they started phasing out live firearms on the course in the 80s.
Now you find the dog on point, flush the bird, fire your starter pistol, and move on.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM

Wouldn't be. My cup of tea as I would want to test the complete package ie retrieve to hand but very cool none the less
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 AM

Sooo, we all agree Labs are awesome, right?