Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Dogs for grouse hunting

So were interested in getting a bird dog, the only birds we hunt are grouse. Just curious what other fellows have, and is there a breed that are more used for grouse?

We have a couple of collies and a boxer that are great at scarin them up but thats about it lol
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM

if it were me based on your interest, definitlety pointing breed vs. flushing. I dont think there is any particular pointing breed that stands out for ruffies, the good news is there are some great pointing breeds to pick from, its all in the training and buying good stock. Find a breed that will fit into your family the other 10 months of the year and you will find a winner!! Some of these pointing breeds need a ton of exercise and like to be run. Good luck in your search, Im sure there are others that will chime in
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
if it were me based on your interest, definitlety pointing breed vs. flushing. I dont think there is any particular pointing breed that stands out for ruffies, the good news is there are some great pointing breeds to pick from, its all in the training and buying good stock. Find a breed that will fit into your family the other 10 months of the year and you will find a winner!! Some of these pointing breeds need a ton of exercise and like to be run. Good luck in your search, Im sure there are others that will chime in
Well i think id like a dog more for pointing, we use our .22's and when our mutts flush them out were screwed lol all and all its still fun thou.

We have 10 acres and live in the river valley, so the running around part isnt to big of a deal.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 AM

x2

And one step more, if possible have a list of acceptable breeds, and go with the best litter, so much of the game is a good genetic tool kit.

There are so many cool breeds out there.

22's and dogs are probably a safety no-no.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 AM

i love the looks of the gsp's but i was just googling pointing labs they seem pretty sweet too. what kind of breeds do ya guys have?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Brittany`s and English setters that are bred to hunt cover are great.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM

I have a gsp crossed with a Weimaraner and he's got great instinct. Just stay away from show lines. They're breed to look good not work good. I'm also not a fan of pure breds though!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
x2

And one step more, if possible have a list of acceptable breeds, and go with the best litter, so much of the game is a good genetic tool kit.

There are so many cool breeds out there.

22's and dogs are probably a safety no-no.
Forgive me but why do ya say 22's and dogs are a no-no??
Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Ricochets primarily, the dog could be inches/feet away from the bird or yards.

Most of my hunting grouse before my dog was walking trail and shooting on the ground with 22's or shotguns. Having a dog changes how you hunt but it opens areas you could not foot hunt alone.

Mine is a Large Munsterlander.

Eventually I will want to hunt rabbits with mine so i'll have to figure out the shooting on the ground thing for real, but it will be still a shotgun only game. The expectation is he will point the rabbit, and not chase after the flush.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydog View Post
Forgive me but why do ya say 22's and dogs are a no-no??
Safety.....It's one thing to shoot over a dog..another to try and shoot past him. I think thats what he's saying. It would be easy for a dog to cross over into your line of site just as you touch off a 22 at a bird on the ground.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Safety.....It's one thing to shoot over a dog..another to try and shoot past him. I think thats what he's saying. It would be easy for a dog to cross over into your line of site just as you touch off a 22 at a bird on the ground.
Besides, shooting a bird on the ground in front of your dog is a pretty sure fire way of enticing a pointing dog to break... and then you have increased exponentially the chance of Abe's description occurring.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Well that makes sense now, never really thought of that. i was out once with a friend and his dog and he had a .22 so i thought that was the norm.

So ya dont really wanna shoot them on the ground at all then? ya want your dog to flush them out is more of the idea im takin it?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM

I'd think in more general terms. You are thinking that you only want a dog for grouse, and that you will always use a .22. But I bet you will soon start thinking about waterfowl and shotguns as well. Like you, I started out on upland game, so got myself a Britt. He's a great dog, but I progressed to be more into waterfowl than upland. If I had it to do over again I'd probably get a lab. My Britt is fine with waterfowl this time of year, but not late October.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM

I have English Cocker Spaniel, which is a relatively rare breed here in Western Canada. I had mine flown from Eastern Canada. They are quite popular in Europe.

He is very good at pointing, flushing and also retrieving. So if you decide to switch to waterfowl hunting in the future this is a universal dog…and will do well both upland and waterfowl.

Another good thing about English cockers is that they are medium size, which makes them portable, easy to transport and fit into any environment (condo for example).

Very nice temperament. Good with kids aslo.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM

The slower breeds of pointers such as the Gordon setter, English setter, etc are very good with ruffed grouse.
My son's GSP can be reined in for tight cover, but it's tough at times!!
The first dog i ever trained by myself was a lab, and I trained him as a pointer, VERY close working , fantastic dog!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-03-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Good point. I was going to mention that as well. Gordon adn English setters are excellent pointers. Irish setters are not bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The slower breeds of pointers such as the Gordon setter, English setter, etc are very good with ruffed grouse.
My son's GSP can be reined in for tight cover, but it's tough at times!!
The first dog i ever trained by myself was a lab, and I trained him as a poiter VERY close working , fantastic dog!
Cat
Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Went out a couple years ago with a buddy of mine and his Duck Tolling Retriever. We got ruffies, ducks and one goose all in the same day.

What an amazing little dog that is.

It was unreal watching that little thing swim back with a giant honker in it's mouth.

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farid View Post
Good point. I was going to mention that as well. Gordon adn English setters are excellent pointers. Irish setters are not bad either.
WE ran into a couple a few years back with the most beutiful Irish setters I have ever seen in the field. Really tall dogs and fully feathered as well- wouldn't wanna brush them out after a day in the burr docks!!
They were good bird dogs as well, you don't se many in the field these days.......
Cat
Old 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Yes "on the wing" is the general form, either you (with a pointer) or the dog (with a flusher) put the bird up, but they say a pointer can be trained to flush on command. Sometimes mine is so smart he flushes them without command
Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM

You will find that pretty quickly hunting with a dog becomes about 'hunting with a dog', not filling the pot, so to speak.

If filling the pot is the goal, I would skip the dog and just pot them on the ground. If you want to "hunt" grouse, then a dog is a necessity IMO.

Many breeds will work fine for grouse, but you will have to decide between a pointer/setter or a flushing breed. While I love springers and cockers, they need to be kept close for grouse in forest cover (which well bred dogs will do somewhat naturally) and you need to closely watch the dog at all times for any sign that the dog is getting "birdy" and there may be an impending flush. Pointers on the other hand should range farther (again, good breeding should result in a dog that naturally adjusts its range to suit the cover hunted) and point a bird until YOU can get into position for a flush which, when attempting to take forest grouse on the wing, is very important.

It really is personal preference though. I prefer to stroll along with my shotgun open, only closing it when the dog has gone on point.

If you have never hunted over a hunting dog (or even strolled along as an observer), then it would be great if you could find some different types of dogs to hunt with (or just watch). However, try not to fall into believing that one person's poorly trained (or poorly bred) purebred dog is representative of an entire breed.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Yes "on the wing" is the general form, either you (with a pointer) or the dog (with a flusher) put the bird up, but they say a pointer can be trained to flush on command. Sometimes mine is so smart he flushes them without command
Ain't that the truth.

Parker locked up on a pheasant on a steep hillside in 5 foot grass, across a soggy creek yesterday. As I was trying to heel the pup, I didn't want to drag her across the creek and up through the grass and brush, only to have the bird flush before I could get close anyway.

I tried 'releasing' him from afar, but he wasn't breaking. After a couple minutes I called "COME" which is an 'inviolable' command, so that caused him to break point.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 PM

wow sounds like i have a lot research to do yet lol. there are so many different types of bird dogs and they all look great!!

I always loved labs and i seen a add for pointing labs so i might lookin into that a little more to. but yet again i have some learnin to do first. lol

any of ya all live around gp? love to watch someone workin with there dogs
Old 09-03-2013, 03:36 PM

Smile They are all great but...

You have to train what ever you buy, you can't breed a field trial champion, you have to train it!

Pudel, just put a rub of baby oil on the beautiful dog before she goes into the rough, the burrs will come out a lot easier.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
You will find that pretty quickly hunting with a dog becomes about 'hunting with a dog', not filling the pot, so to speak
I like this statement. For me thats exactly what it's all about. After all the time and effort that goes into training them, its a great feeling working the field with a trained dog.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Louie holds tight but will flush on command - except porcupines!!
he will point them, but WILL NOT bust 'em!! Danged dog is worth his weight in quills!
he got slapped last year however in the fracas when sdvc's Justice went in on one, quite the goin's on!!
I don;t think i have ever seen Hornhead's Tramp bust a bird however, that dawg is rock solid!!
Cat
Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydog View Post
wow sounds like i have a lot research to do yet lol. there are so many different types of bird dogs and they all look great!!

I always loved labs and i seen a add for pointing labs so i might lookin into that a little more to. but yet again i have some learnin to do first. lol

any of ya all live around gp? love to watch someone workin with there dogs
I think Joshcat lives up that way, and I don't think he would mind at all if you asked some questions of him!
Cat
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM

I think for pointing breeds the most grouse are shot over setters in the North eastern USA. If I was looking for a grouse dog I would buy a llewellin setter out of cover dog trial lines.

Cohod would be the guy to talk to about setters.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM

I understand Griff's (Wire Haired Pointing Griffon or Korthals Griffon) are popular in the east as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 PM

Ask away, thanks for the intro Cat. I run Gsp's. Contrary to belief , I hunt show lines with a good history of hunt lines. I have in girl that hunts better in tight cover and one that is open field and waterfowl. They both do well either way but they both have their strong suits. Some people do not like purebreds. That is simply because they do not know the benefits or have come across poor breeders. The good side of it is I know where I want me lines to go. I know what the end result of my program will be. I breed for health, form personality and hunt ability. I use Gsp's because of their drive but also their family bond. My Canadian show titled girl I would put up against any grouse dog on the planet. But if you are looking for a hunting companion do your research and find out what dog suits your lifestyle and family needs. If you have any specific breed questions I will help out as best I can
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 AM

Half the fun is watching a dog do what it loves to do the most, hunt. They can surprise you with the things they can pick up on their own, and do, along the way. It is amazing what they can teach a human about hunting.
And how guilty they can make you feel when you miss.