Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Edmonton Pointing dog club Training day pictures

Hello Everyone, The Edmonton Pointing dog club had a training day last Sunday. 33 people attended and fun was had by all. Gunner I was able to see the litter mates to your pup and they looked great. Kennedy I was hoping that you would make it as I was excited to see a pup out of a National Champion. Maybe we will hook up at a trial this spring. Attached are a couple of photos of people training their dogs. I also included a picture of my two hounds. Have fun training and good luck to everyone who has entered a spring trial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 198.jpg (47.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Training day 1.JPG (33.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg training day 2.JPG (14.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Tyler EPDC Training Day.JPG (37.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Looks like a good time had by all.

33 people there and all you could find was mangy brittanies to take pictures of!! Come on give up the pictures of some setters with their high tails, some pointers, Shorthairs and wirehairs. I know you got those dogs up there.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Yes, there were all type of dogs . There were GSP, GWP, IS, ES, GS, EP, Visla, Drakkar(sp?) and I think that was all. THe person with the camera happend to be a Brittany owner so we got a lot of Brittany pictures. THe Brittany was by far the best represented. It seems the number of Brittany's in Alberta is exploding. Just Curious if anyone has any ideas as to why. I think they are good dogs but with Alberta having some of the last true praire around I am suprized that there are not more Setters and Pointers out there. Any thoughts????
Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Probably because of their smaller size, better suited for people who live cities and towns. Could also be a phase that people go through, 20-25 years ago they seemed quite popular and then went out of style, they could just be coming back in style again. Also mangy Britttanies have great personalities unlike some other breeds.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 PM

Could be the fact there is 4 or 5 breeders in Alberta as well. 3 or 4 GSP breeders and 3 GWP breeders that I know of. The small size defiantly makes them appealing. Do you think labs would be as popular if they wernt so redily available? Switch lab breeders for say Goldens or Chessies and you would see more of those. Brittany's are easy to come by and has great personalities.

Oh and its Drahthaar not Drakkar. Drat (Wire) Haar (Hair). Full breed name is the Deustch Drahthaar. The GSP is the Deustch Kurzhaar.

I would trust any Americanized gun dog breed with kids and their personality its the German lines I dont trust in the hands of amateurs.

Whos stake out line is that? I dont recognize the truck or any of the dogs. I want to say Jayhawker or Brunen's but I dont think the Brunen's have that many Britts.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 AM

Ryan...why do you not 'trust' the German lines?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:07 AM

Sounds like a great day out training!!
Great to see all those brittanys out as well.
I hope brittanys are not exploding as labs have in the past but they sure do make great hunting companions and if the right lines are chosen there are some great, big running lines that are available out there that can cover ground and are well suited for the praries.

Mav......
Old 04-18-2008, 07:34 AM

Default Setterman

Somehow I got the dates screwed up because I had planned to bring Molly out for the fresh air and socialization I had it down as this weekend. Next time for sure. Looks like a fine bunch of dogs and that a good time was had by all.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 AM

The stake out line was Jim Curtis' from Red Willow Brittany. Yah we had a blast. I think that the Brittany population may be related to the number of breeders as well. Good luck to all those heading out to the IS trial this weekend. My setter is only AF registered so I decided not to attend, curious if anyone has seen the grounds. The only trials I am headed to are the GSP trial and the Edmonton trial. I hope I can have a clean run, we have not got in as much training as I had hoped this spring as we have only been able to run in the field for the last 2 weeks. I hope no more snow is coming. !!!!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Dog Club

Was this held east of Hay Lakes last weekend?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setterman View Post
The stake out line was Jim Curtis' from Red Willow Brittany. Yah we had a blast. I think that the Brittany population may be related to the number of breeders as well. Good luck to all those heading out to the IS trial this weekend. My setter is only AF registered so I decided not to attend, curious if anyone has seen the grounds. The only trials I am headed to are the GSP trial and the Edmonton trial. I hope I can have a clean run, we have not got in as much training as I had hoped this spring as we have only been able to run in the field for the last 2 weeks. I hope no more snow is coming. !!!!!!
I will be at the GSP trial. I have sent my entries away for both Field Dog tests and 2 days of Shooting Dog. Stop by and say high. People are friendly and the beer is always cold.

ex811 I dont want to get ripped apart on why I dont trust the German lines over the American lines but if you are curious throw me a PM and I will tell you. It has to do with the testing is all I am going to say.