Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Pet Mange/Demodex

Hello forum, I need some imput as to the treatment for demodectic mange or I guess pet mange. I took her to the vet a few weeks ago and was informed she had this. She is a 10 month old black lab retriever, and is curantly taking 2ml of Ivomec once a day.They tell me at the vet office this medication could be a long prosses anywhere from 6week to 6months and still might not cure her and could be put down.I went on the internet tonight and found this web site www. dermisil.com/mange-cure, they have this treatment shampoo along wilth this dermisil stuff for pet mange. Has anyone dealt with this problem with there pets before? Also has anyone tried these dermisil products? It may just help speed up her recovery along with her medication she now takes. Thank for any information on this subject.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Default demodex

How was the diagnosis made....skin scrapings? IMHO, the most effective treatment is ivomec for non Collie type breeds continued for 30 days beyond clinical resolution. Most dogs less than 1 year old clear this on their own if only localized lesions once they reach 1 yr of age. If generalized or they get it when older than this, it may indicate an immunological or some other underlying problem.

My advice, stay on the course of ivomec, recheck skin scrapings or hair plucks every 30 days, and for goodness sake don't put the dog down until its proven the dog has significant problems other than demodex. Yes, you might be in for several months of treatment, so what..............its usually not a problem.

PM me if you need more info. Good luck.

ravine
Old 04-16-2008, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the reply ravine, yes our dog Mollie was diagnosis by skin scraping,we took her to the vet twice in a week when we noticed bare spots and redness along with constant iching. We will be taking her back in two weeks time to see if any progress is made. Hopefully the Ivomex over time will rid Mollie of this problem. We are in it for the long haul and will do whatever it takes to get her healthy. I will pm you if other questions should come up, thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Sharpedge

Default Demodectic mange

Hi sixpoint1

Sorry to learn that your dog is sick with the above. My friend and I both had young working dogs one time that contracted this mange and the late Boris Ganchev DVM sent us to the provincial clinic in Airdrie where we got the dogs tested and the disease determined. The special shampoo you mention was part of the treatment and I'm glad to say that both dogs survived to live long and active lives.

Good luck with your dog. They are truly some of our best friends.

Sharpedge
Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM

Thanks sharpedge, so glad to hear the positive results you and your friend had once the problem was diagnosed and treatment started.I know Mollie will be just fine in the near future, just trying to track down where I might find a retailer that sells dermisil herbal pet shampoo. Shouldnt be a problem with all the info the internet has to offer..
Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Many years ago, more than I care to remember, I worked for the Ontario Humane society. We had a dog with mange come into the shelter. It was a little female beagle that soemoen had found.
I had our vet check the dog and he gave me some shampoo to try. I don't know what it was, but it looked like mustard.
I followed the intructions, kept the dog isolated and she came from no hair from her ears back to fully recovered. It took some time, but we began to see improvement farily quickly, so it encouraged us to keep going.
The dog went on to many years of hunting rabbits with me. Pound for pound, one of the toughest dogs I ever had.
Sorry I have no idea what the stuff was.