Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Not sure why this gang would complain. Causing confrontations like this is what they WANT to do... then they act aggrieved. They are menaces. I don't know why sealers still harvest like they do, and I don't have a ton of time for them, but I'll also admit I'm not the most informed on the subject. But the greenpeacers do act way too dangerously.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM

All of the "anti" gropups are media companies. they make money by being in the media!... instead fo saving a starving child in a 3rd world country people feel they can give to an "activist" organisation and feel good doing it!.

greenpeace, Sierra club, WCWC, WWF etc etc. etc. all want to be an the news. they get some dumb smucks to act like a bunch of idiots which apparently is newsworthy and then they get their face in the media for free!...

Take a look at these groups how many of them are registered charities and provide education to groups of people about wildife.... like AHEIA!...

The best thing we can do with these idiots is ignore them and they will then go broke and go away!.... when they are controversial then they arenews worthy...

As for Paul Watson he was in our area protesting the wolf kill...and when no one would sell him gas or groceries.... he quickly left!...
Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
LoL, exactly. And I support most of their causes. If I supported what Sea Shepherds do, I'd be running poachers off the road in my little Acura
If you supported what sea shepards do, you would be running law abiding hunters off the road with your little Acura!!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Hows about a bunch of us band together, get a boat, put a clever name on it and start pulling the same stunts on them? Hmmm, how fast do you think we'd be put in jail......

These people are a menace and burden to society. A bunch of losers who never been a part of anything worthwhile in their life. This is something for them to grab onto so they can say they are accomplishing something other than the walking around stinking like petuli and hash their whole life.

It's a shame....conservation is in all our interests. Imagine what could be accomplished if these radicals didn't think they had to play God, and instead, put their money and effort into useful causes, in an appropriate manner.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Grampa Jim

Better idea to do with the boat.

Sell it to the Seal Hunters.
Now that would tick all those clowns off.
Those boats cant be cheap.

Jamie
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Gone Hunting

"As for Paul Watson he was in our area protesting the wolf kill...and when no one would sell him gas or groceries.... he quickly left!..."

He also couldn't rent a chopper, it was winter and he vowed he would go on snowshoes if he had to. And he went all right, but not to the wolf kill. seems he didn't like his diet of frozen apples and crow. He left town.

Animals skinned alive?? The film I saw when I worked for the Ontario Humane in the late sixties was staged. Most veiwers had no idea that they were seeing because they turned away in horror when the announcer told what was about to happen. I watched. The seals were dead. Are any skinned alive? I don't know, but I can imagine how efficient it would be to make your living skinning live animals when another whack to the skull would kill them.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM

The sad thing is that real animal welfare is not the priority of these radical groups and human life means nothing to those that will stop at nothing to further their own cause.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Anywhere else in the world people who say that they are pirates and act like pirates are arrested and severely prosecuted. The only difference with these people is that they claim to be working for the environment.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
...and if he actually has video of seals being skinned alive I want to have them available. The ends may not justify the means but nobody else seems to be willing to do the job.
PLEASE tell me you're joking. Other than the radical eco-terrorists themselves, WHO IN THE HELL TRIES TO SKIN A LIVE ANIMAL???!?!?!!?!? Give you head a shake. That was a statement of 'BUD'-like proportions!!!!

Tree

PS Sorry BUD, I'll buy ya a beer one of these days for pickin' on ya!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"As for Paul Watson he was in our area protesting the wolf kill...and when no one would sell him gas or groceries.... he quickly left!..."

He also couldn't rent a chopper, it was winter and he vowed he would go on snowshoes if he had to. And he went all right, but not to the wolf kill. seems he didn't like his diet of frozen apples and crow. He left town.

Animals skinned alive?? The film I saw when I worked for the Ontario Humane in the late sixties was staged. Most veiwers had no idea that they were seeing because they turned away in horror when the announcer told what was about to happen. I watched. The seals were dead. Are any skinned alive? I don't know, but I can imagine how efficient it would be to make your living skinning live animals when another whack to the skull would kill them.
You want to use civil disobedience to protest, have at 'er cuz the key word is civil. I don't agree with everything in the world and I try to do the right thing but sometimes radicals do more harm than good. PW was quoted as sayn that the sealers deserved to die because the seal hunt was barbaric. ( words to this effect ) . I may not like the seal hunt but it is a legal right for these people, but in no way does the death of a million freakn seals EVER equal the lose of a human life IMO. I mean lets face it the main opposition to the hunt is ....... because they're so damn cute, If the seals looked like the azz end of a water buffalo we wouldn't be havn this thread.....as I love to point out to my new pal Sheep its all about ...public perception

Kinda reminds me of that Wildlife program we all watched as kids ( memory of name escapes me) You know where we all saw those Lemmings leap out off the cliff to be smashed on the rocks below, all because instinct told them to reduce their population, turns out the producers were hucking them off the cliff cuz the truth wasnt as exciting......
I dont care what your cause or your moral justification, but when you put peoples lives at risk your dead wrong. I dont give a ratz hind end if your anti-hunting, anti-abortionist, anti-logging. When you set out to hurt or kill a HUMAN BEING in order to justify your pathetic excistance my friend as far as I am concerned you lose any rights to exist.

Last edited by Kanonfodder; 04-14-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: cause I wasnt thru ranting
Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshowkev View Post
Less Seals = More Cod = more traditional income for Newfoundlanders. The numbers need to be kept in check, its just the way it is.

How long until the tree huggers or activists start ramming our trucks or camps when we are hunting in area's that have Wolves or Grizz?

I was amazed when I watched the CBC news last night and saw a politician taking a NO BS approach to these guys. He basically said "The protest of the seal hunt is about SS and GP groups milking money out of the uninformed urban folks that have no clue as to the facts of the matter." Its about time someone stood up to radical environmentalists and exploited them for what they really are. The only thing they care about is making a big event, getting tons of free media coverage, and boosting the amount of cash that flows into their cause that really screws up more than it will ever save.
Actually seals dont eat cod , check it out.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 AM

Bud i don't know what you have been reading but heres a quote from DFO site

"However, the estimated consumption of Atlantic cod by seals in Divisions 4RS3Pn and 2J3KL is particularly large, and this may be contributing to the apparently high levels of mortality experienced by those stocks"

2004 Survey 5.82 million harp seals

2005 Survey 603,000 Hooded seals
2004 survey of grey seals 260,000

Seal hunt quota this year 275,000.

Heres to the skinned alive bit "Sometimes a seal may appear to be moving after it has been killed; however seals have a swimming reflex that is active – even after death. This reflex gives the false impression that the animal is still alive when it is clearly dead – similar to the reflex in chickens"

Heres the link to DFO
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm
Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
PLEASE tell me you're joking. Other than the radical eco-terrorists themselves, WHO IN THE HELL TRIES TO SKIN A LIVE ANIMAL???!?!?!!?!? Give you head a shake. That was a statement of 'BUD'-like proportions!!!!

Tree

PS Sorry BUD, I'll buy ya a beer one of these days for pickin' on ya!
Doesn't make sense to me either. However, if the claim is true and someone out there is stupid enough to do it then they deserve to be outed. You would think that every one of them would be going above and beyond to make sure that SS doesn't have any evidence of wrongdoing. Maybe the video doesn't exist, maybe it is just to grab another headline (highly possible given the type of people we're talking about), maybe the RCMP will delete it before it ever sees the light of day. All I said is that if it does exist it should be made available.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM

You know what?? alot of people around here have their panties in a bit too tight of a knot right now. As such, there isn't really any point in having a discussion. If you guys are going to be so high strung I'll just start shutting my mouth (fingers actually) on this one. Should make alot of people happy.

Proceed to preach to the choir...

Maybe cut back on the coffee too.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
maybe the RCMP will delete it before it ever sees the light of day
Why even post stuff like this? What if, maybe....all the good guys are really bad and the bad guys are really the good guys
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM

Well we can expect more protests! After all if you give into terrorist then terror works.
-----------------------
Premiers of N.L., Nunavut call for ban on use of club used in seal hunt
THE CANADIAN PRESS
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - The premiers of Newfoundland and Nunavut are calling for a ban on the use of the hakapik - the spiked club used by seal hunters.
The tool has become a contentious symbol of the hunt and a rallying point for those opposed to the annual slaughter off Canada's east coast
Danny Williams and Paul Okalik met in St. John's this morning where they said they were writing to Ottawa to ask for a ban.
Okalik, who has just returned from Europe where he was trying to counter negative publicity surrounding the hunt, says getting rid of the club would make a huge difference in how the hunt is perceived.
The letter is being drafted today and Williams says he will raise the issue in the legislature.
© The Canadian Press, 2008
----------------
Might be a good move, no sense harvesting the product if you can't sell it.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

SEALS DON"T EAT COD!!!!!! WHAT??????....I've SEEN trawls, coming back in(hook & line) with over 100 ...COD HEADS(bodys ripped off and eaten) by the seals!!!! These are not all cute and cuddly....We regularly get Gray seals that will weigh 800 lbs +...as big as a fridge!I've seen video from Cape Breton of seals, coming up to the surface with a 3 or 4 lb lobster in its mouth....shake the s**t out of it ..till the claws fell off, then chew up the tail!!! Last January(07..maybe 06?)there were ...90,000new seal pups born on Sable Island Rookerie ALONE !!! They rip the bejeezus out of our nets(eating the cod)...they tear the twine and lathes off our lobster traps, to get at the bait!!..Check out this scenario....... You have a trapline, with 250 traps on it, and your only source of income comes from your trapline. You need gas for your sled(bike) whatever to go and check them. Everyday you go , you find that 50 or 60 of your traps are sprung!..nothin in them.Then you have 2 or 3 traps damaged.....you have to take them home to fix them up. The Next day, you trapped a total of 9 animals...linkx, bobcat,fisher..etc, etc, BUTTTT 4 of the carcasses have been chewed on, and NOW are useless!!! you bring those 3 traps that you fixed up back in, only to find 5 MORE damaged, and another 55 sprung!! Now you notice that there's an oil leak on your 4 wheeler....needs an oil pan......I guess you can obviously see where this is going by now..LOL.......This is the EXACT SAME THING the fisherman , here in the East coast are up against, when it comes to the seals!! Don't be fooled, these animals are EATING MACHINES...If you have ever seen a Doberman, or a Rotweiler, with all their teeth showing...well that's just like looking at a seals mouth!!They can hold their breath for periods of 10 - 12 minutes, can dive to over 1200 feet with ease, and when given the choice, they will always eat the bellies of their prey first...more protien in cod livers, and the full roe sacs!! Something HAS to be done to keep the numbers in check, and I for one fully Support the Seal hunt. Over the past several years, most of the sealers have been using hi-powered rifles......they use the hakapik to drag them over the ice.....My .02 anyway.......Kevin
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 PM

AWESOME words, Kevin! That's the straight chit from the horse's mouth. Any word on the antlers yet?

I might add that a big reason for the use of a hakapik is twofold. Firstly, concentrating dozens of people on a hard surface shooting .22s is a huge safety concern due to riccochets. The other reason (historically) is that many of the people participating in the hunt probably don't need (or often afford) the the expense of a gun and ammo when you can dispatch them just as easily with a bonk to the head. Like Kevin said, the hakapik is mainly used to drag the carcasses across the ice.

Tree
Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 AM

I am quite happy the powers that be finally stood up to these so called tree huggers and kicked their ass. What would happen to honest hard working people if we ran into a RCMP cruiser. we would be arrested and our vehicle confiscated. What is the difference, bleeding heart's need to read shortmag
s comment. Good on them, put them in jail and let the lawyers figure it out. if this happens again put them in jail for a long time, the day of tree huggin matryr's are long gone, few of us really care about their stupidity and lack of respect for other people. Jail time good on them
Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Seals Are Vermine

Kevin has it exactly right. I grew up and fished out of Pictou, Nova Scotia-Spent every winter (no pay) repairing damage to fishing gear caused by seals.

They can and will eat anything that swims.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTMAG View Post
.......This is the EXACT SAME THING the fisherman , here in the East coast are up against, when it comes to the seals!! Don't be fooled, these animals are EATING MACHINES...
Yeah, but I doubt the cod industry collapsed because of seals...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 PM
stubblejumper

I have no use for Watson or people like him,my only concern is whether or not they actually broke the law as written.If they did,I am for them being arrested,if they didn't,I am against it.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Why ban the club?

What is more humane??

#1 - Knocking a seal on the head and using the spike to keep it from going down the hole or pulling it up onto the ice?

#2 - Shooting a seal and having it twitch and flop down the hole or off the ice and loosing an injured seal?

Seems to me like option # 1 is pretty efficient and humane.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Maybe the video doesn't exist, maybe it is just to grab another headline (highly possible given the type of people we're talking about), maybe the RCMP will delete it before it ever sees the light of day. All I said is that if it does exist it should be made available.
I would think that if this video did exist it would be right there in your face every time you turned on a TV or computer. Not sure why the RCMP would want to delete it, or if they even could. They couldn't delete the airport tasering video, and from their standpoint, they would have a far greater interest in the public not seeing that one than a video of a seal getting skinned.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yeah, but I doubt the cod industry collapsed because of seals...
I disagree, It is a factor!

From Wiki:

What do seals eat?
Fish, fish and more fish!
-------------------------------
Now back in the late seventies the population of harp seals off our shores was under 2 million.

When the anti sealing movement started markets disappeared and the hunt was cut back. One because the market for furs had shrunk as a result of the import bans and two in attempt to appease European trading partners.

This reduction in the numbers harvested left a lot more seal pups to mature and mate. The end result in these reductions in the hunt was today we have a population of 5.82 million harp seals.

What do an extra 3.8 million seals eat?…..a heck of a lot of fish. Millions and millions of tons of fish!

What do Cod eat? Fish!

Not only do seals eat Cod but they also compete for the same food source as the Cod. Now Cod can only feed at the bottom as they are bottom feeders, seals on the other hand are suspended in the water column feeding top to bottom.

When bottom feeding species are scarce seals can feed on other fish suspended at different depths. So they can eat the Cod out of house and home and move on to better hunting grounds.

This graph shows the decline in cod stock harvests

It is interesting that the decline in cod stocks exhibits a reverse relationship to the increase in seal stocks.

In 1970 cod stocks were estimated at 3.5 million tons by 2005 the numbers had declined to 1.2 million tons.

In the mid seventies while at N.S.C.A.D., I was involved in modeling the sustainability of the maritime food industry. Our models suggested that the inland fishery would collapse in or around 2000 if the commercial foreign factory fleet continued to over harvest stocks. Hind site is always 20/20.The anti seal movement was but a whisper back then it was in its infancy, mostly viewed as the lunatic fringe.

Had we realized the impact the save the seal crowd would have on seal hunting we would have moved the date ahead.

Yes the foreign off shore fleet had a significant role to play in the demise of these stocks, but to hide our heads in the sand and claim seals had nothing to do with it is an error.

For hundreds of years people of the Maritimes have lived in harmony with their environment. Harvesting the Cod and hunting the seal, things stayed in balance for centuries, and then a French film actress and some other clowns from points afar set about to interrupt this balance. They were successful today the fishing industry is all but destroyed. It is unfortunate that cod are not cute. I’m disgusted by the damage these do good eco nuts have done to a region of our country that most of them will probably never visit.

Today there are no Cod and hard times in the Maritimes just gets harder! If these peckerwoods had their way there would be no hunt and more seals . Guess they won't be happy until they starve everyone off of the Rock and totally screw up the balances in nature they do not fathom.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM

From Wikipeadia:

Northwest Atlantic cod
The northwest Atlantic cod has been regarded as heavily overfished throughout its range, resulting in a crash in the fishery in the United States and Canada during the early 1990s.
Newfoundland's northern cod fishery can be traced back to the 16th century. "On average, about 300,000 tonnes of cod was landed annually until the 1960s, when advances in technology enabled factory trawlers, many of them foreign, to take larger catches. By 1968, landings for the fish peaked at 800,000 tonnes before a gradual decline set in. With the reopening of the limited cod fisheries last year, nearly 2,700 tonnes of cod were hauled in. Today, it's estimated that offshore cod stocks are at one per cent of what they were in 1977" [1].
The fishery has yet to recover, and may not recover at all because of a possibly stable change in the food chain. Atlantic cod was a top-tier predator, along with haddock, flounder and hake, feeding upon smaller prey such as herring, capelin, shrimp and snow crab.[2] With the large predatory fish removed, their prey has had a population explosion and have become the top predators.
[edit] Alternative explanations and solutions
Debbie MacKenzie has presented an alternative explanation of the collapse of the cod stocks of the Grand Banks and beyond [2]. According to MacKenzie, sustained massive overfishing by drag-trawlers has depleted the nutrient cycle of a closed ecosystem (surface plankton, schools of fish, bottom-feeders and dwellers). The depletion of biomass leaves the ocean starving, and lack of growth leaves unfixed carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The ocean of evidence is in surface plankton depletion at the base of the food chain, a dearth of filter-feeders in favour of seaweed fed on nitrogen-loaded water, to the loss of bottom-feeders, cod and pelagic fish which were at the top of the food chain. The solution is: i) to stop strip-mining the ocean floor with destructive dragnets, ii) to feed the remaining fish with food, not the suffocating waste from sewage and chemical fertilizer polluted estuaries that causes pseudo-eutrophication, and most importantly iii) to enforce the regulation of commercial fishing very effectively.

-------------------------------
Nothing new here: We were saying the same things back in the seventies about the foreign factory fishery. They were destroying the ocean floor.

The government did not listen. They did declare a 200 mile limit to protect our off shore resources. Within a few months they also made trade concessions with just about nation interested and allowed them to commercially fish our waters.

Under the Liberal Trudeau Government of the seventies military cut backs and coast guard funding made it all but impossible to police our off shore resources. A government without a backbone and resource protection measures without teeth.

The grand banks lie more than 200 miles off shore so the whole concept was mute at any rate.

I’m pleased to see The Harper Government exhibit some back bone and deal with these “Enviro mentals” snubbing their noses at the laws of our nation and our Canadian way of life.

To bad the conservatives weren’t in power in the seventies, we just might have had the resources and backbone to take on the foreign fishery.

At any rate, I don’t abide with foreign folks messing in my nations affairs. Scuttle all who would venture onto the ice to cause problems. And if they choose to be Martyrs for their cause let them go to the bottom to feed the Cod.

People from points afar have done enough harm to the Cod time they helped them out.

With the fishery in such a dire state, millions of extra seals are not helping the recovery, the nations responsible for creating this problem are going to finish off the Cod by saving the seals, time we told them all to **** off.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM

i was going to suggest using some sort of electric device to kill the seals with...but i guess standing around in small pools of water would make that a bit dangerous...hahaha...ya it's friday......