Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Flames are out in Calgary

3 nothing 3 mins into the game does not look good Calgary
Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Well they got one back and if they get a break they could get another and be back in it.

I thought Sarich's (sp) "big hit" was a penalty. The refs seem to be calling pretty weak "hooking" penalties and letting "violent hit" violations go.

Robin
Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Shark throws the elbow, Flanes get a PP goal. Flames are on fire now.

Robin
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Gone Hunting

3 to 3 in the third and Curtis J. is holding the fort.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM

Gramps, Is that ankle healing?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Gone Hunting

"Oldman Nolan" puts the flames up 4 to 3 late in the third but now they have a penalty to kill off.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Hell of an effort after a bad start.....they deserved that win...

Two great games back to back tonight.....both underdogs winning their games....
Old 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
gitrdun

CHOKE !
Old 04-13-2008, 10:45 PM

BIG BIG COME BACK!!!!!!!!! YA BABY.

all wound up now, never gonna get to sleep.......that 3am alarm for work goin to suck.

Way to go boys.....GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:40 AM
gitrdun

Calgary Sun Headlines in the not so too distant future:

Flames get Snuffed!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

Default Why don't you Soiler Fans go and enjoy...

your round of golf.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Hey its all good when it comes to the playoffs in the past 5 years Calgarys been in what 4 times or is it 3 I cant remember but keep in mind how many stanley cups they won with the FLAMERS

FLAMERS ARE LAMERS .
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Default Oh yeah--good one

But OILERS ARE SOILERS
Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Big Win....Sarich's hit was totally clean, and a momentum changer.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
Big Win....Sarich's hit was totally clean, and a momentum changer.

Charging
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.
a. A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
b. When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed, and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

Not clean and not legal
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default No penalty

therefore it must have been clean. The injury was not from the check it was from Marleau dropping his head (ie his fault)Even Marleau says it was clean.
You guys in the north half of the province are sure jealous of anything from the south.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Hey its all good when it comes to the playoffs in the past 5 years Calgarys been in what 4 times or is it 3 I cant remember but keep in mind how many stanley cups they won with the FLAMERS

FLAMERS ARE LAMERS .
I'm close to Calgary, about 1 hour south. Geographically, most people think that I should be a Flamers fan ---- NOT. Oilers all the way baby, and right now, I cheer for the Sharks or whoever is playing Calgary. But hey, it's all in fun.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Charging
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.
a. A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
b. When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed, and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

Not clean and not legal
That hit was 100 percent clean. he didnt jump at him he took 3 strides he used his shoulder the only reason it was such a big hit is Marlou was watching the puck with his head down thats why the reason you teach kids to keep there head up. Thats what hockey is all about right there...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
SNIPER

Gordoats, you are correct in saying it wasn't a charge. But, it was a hit to the head. It doesn't matter what part of your body you use to hit with, if you hit the head it is a penalty. It is your responsibility to be in control of your own body when making a hit.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
therefore it must have been clean. The injury was not from the check it was from Marleau dropping his head (ie his fault)Even Marleau says it was clean.
You guys in the north half of the province are sure jealous of anything from the south.

X2. I was lucky enough to be at the game last night and Sarich was initially put in the penalty box, but it was quickly determined that it was a clean hit and no penalty was called against the Flames. Hey Marleau, there's a saying in hockey.... "Keep your head up!" Sarich's hit may have been nasty, but perfectly legal by the NHL's current rules. And it completely changed the momentum of the game.

Last edited by Scott N; 04-14-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Default Flames Are Out In Calgary ???

Would You Like A Pillow To Go With That Dream..nucks And Oil Are Golfing..flames Are Burning !
Old 04-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Hahahaha
Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

anything is better than being greasy

especially making the playoffs while taking the greasers out of the playoffs on the way....does it get any better than that? kickin a little butt in the playoffs is a nice touch too

somedays they are the calgary sparks, but other days you can call them the calgary flames

oilers fans can just call them the 'best' and all will be well

FORE!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
Did you happen to see Avery in the face of Broduer yesterday. No Penalty but the leauge officials made a ruling and it will not be tolerated in the future.

Funny, I looked through the NHL rule book (on line) and could not find "clean check" anywhere. However:

"
Rule 43 Attempt to Injure

A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts or who deliberately injures an opponent and the circumstances shall be reported to the Commissioner for further action. A substitute for the penalized player shall be permitted at the end of the fifth minute. "

Is there.

Do you think Sarich was giving him a birthday greeting or was he attempting to "knock him into next week"?

I think we know that the refs let a lot go that is against the rules. And some people just love it. They used to let a lot of hooking go and now not so much.

Flames sure showed some disire to come from behind. Good on them.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
TundraBuck

Duffy I hope you aren't one of those liberal hockey fans. Why would Sarich intend to "knock him into next week" It was a clean check, Marleau had it coming, thats what happens when you put your head down. It's part of the game.

GO FLAMES GO.

Bring on round two.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM

I guess the flames are still burning in Calgary tonight, not a flames fan but a fan of the game. What a game!!!! That hit was nothing but a GREAT HIT, keep your head up is right..
As far as the Avery thing he is a disgrace to the game.
Duffy, with Avery the call should have been a Gross Misconduct, the rule states when a player is making a travesty of the game they shall be given a gross misconduct.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:56 PM

hey guys i'm an OILERS fan but if my team can't be in it. at least theres a ALBERTA team in it. so go FLAMES bring the cup home to ALBERTA. next year the oilers will kick the flames *****.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM

Nothing will ever change .......I love these Oiler fans on here.....complaining about this n that.....nothing ever changes eh???? Your team doesn't make it AGAIN and all you can do is WHINE about the Flames this and that. Funny when the sharks won nothing was said by any of you about any of the BRUTAL BAD CALLS...Hmmmmm now the tables turn and whaaa whaaa whaaa. If the bad call wasn't made in the 1st 25 seconds they would of never even got the 3 goals. Good on the Sharks for jumping all over them. However a game is 60 mins...... anything can happen and it DEFINITELY did last night eh.

Here we go again.......I guess once an Oiler fan ALWAYS A WHINER. Tsk tsk tsk.

K now for my baaatch. And Take note I'm a Flames fan, However Like Gramps I'm a fan of the game. I flip from game to game and have watched a bit of all of them. The refs have been BRUTAL in most of the games. If they are gonna make crappy calls....do it both ways. Come on!!!!! You just put a team on a disadvantage and some of the crap the the power play guys are getting away with is so BAD. They aren't consistant at all. Either call it or let it go!!!!!!!!!! BOTH WAYS.

Go FLAMES Go
Old 04-14-2008, 07:43 PM

The key to the 'hit to the head" rule is, example,
A guy passes, or shoots the puck in, then turn to go off, line change, then he gets hit in the head, and just the head, more from the side. He was not expecting the hit, couldn't see it coming and could not defend himself.
The Marleau hit was all body, he did not get clipped in the head, his whole body took the hit. but his head was down.
I remember Brian Savage with Montreal about 8 yrs ago, hit square on, body hit, not from the side, but his head was down, Lying there out cold with no control, nearly brought tears to my eyes. but a clean hit.

There cannot be a simple hit to the head rule, and there are too many variables, bigger guy and smaller guy where the smaller guy can get it in the head without the bigger guy lifting an elbow, simple shoulder.
But I believe this clipping a guy from the side, who is not looking, will be the guideline to the rule.

TBark
Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Mountain mike

You were not refering to me being a whining oiler fan were you?

As you can see from the rules I have quoted Tree, there is no mention of head up, head down or hit to the head.

any player who deliberately attempts or who deliberately injures an opponent

is all it says. A "body check" is body contact to seperate a player from the puck and is a legal hit (usually, it could result in an injury but thqat is not the intent). A "Big Hit" is intended for something else and most often in my view is not a clean check.

Sarich went to the P box afterwards. Maybe he knew it was not a "clean check". The other Shark who pounced on Sarich, probably didn't think it was a clean check (or is it ok to attack the opposition who has just made a "clean check"?)
Closed Thread