Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM

I personaly think no problem. the bear is a man killer same as human. kill it! f&w kill thousands of animals ei. deer as cwd .candidates, so one dead bear is not a big deal. we/they all know there is more G-bears than is recorded. An eye for an eye is cool with me!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM

rope the wind you suggest they leave it alone to see if it remembers how to kill humans maybe a whole family next
time. Your the one in charge and your telling us you would wait and see if it attacks again or relocate to another area to do the same there. They had no choice it killed a person so its fate was determined then it had to be killed.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
the way i see it and understand this pls correct me if i,m wrong
the bear kilt the hunter in november Rt???
how long did it take them to find this bear??? how i understand it it was jst recently that they found and killed the bear ??? probably after the bear came outa hibernation sound like it to me ??????
thats a long time for an animals memory
like i said
if you bought a puppy
and wuz tryin 2 house train it
and you found a doggy dodo pile that wuz 6 months old
would you punish that puppy for it after it was left 6 months ago or would you kick yer own but for not finding and cleaning it up at the time the crime was done
or as close to that time????
the way i see it if they had of found and terminated that bear asap
instead of waiting that long it would have maybe justified terminateing that bear at the rt time not months later,
in this case they could have moved the bear and cubs to a very remote area
and there would be one more sow to reproduce, evan if ment to move it to the yukon , or nwt
and yes i have been face to face wth a few Grizz and have been stalked by them,
its not a nice feeling
But if ya going to the outback Bear country take the rt precautions for saftey
or stay home , go fly fishing on the Bow in the city, lol ya might bump into a 2 legged preditor
that might maul or kill ya ; if that happened would they do the same to a 2 legged preditor ???
nope no matter how much money it took
some bleeding heart would want to rehabilitate him
thats more consideration for some crimnal than they gave the bear
i say fire the S.O.B that pulled that stunt and orderd the bears termination , specialy after that length of time,
and I aint no Bunny hugger or tree hugger or save the bears and whales kinda person
i just say punish an animal for its crime at the time not months later , as they cant remember
what they being punished for.
how could you punish the bear at the time of time crime???????? when it went into the den til now. so in my eyes they did punish the bear at the time of the crime as soon as the bear re-appeared any ways. if you want to compare it to your puppy therory.....the puppy crapped at nite....you get up in the morning to find the crap.....do you not punish the puppy cause it did it in the nite???? or do you punish it when you FIND IT??? The bear was denned up til now. HELLO....OTHER WISE THEY WOULD OF DELT WITH IT AT THE TIME OF THE CRIME!!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Slow down boys. Most likely there were no cubs with her at the time she killed Mr. Peters. I'll try to find the original thread that was posted by someone who works/owns/runs (?) Mountainair Lodge that had all of the details and post the link.

Apparently this bear was VERY well know within the campgrounds over the course of last summer, and after it increassingly agressive behaviour it was transplanted (I think).

If my memory is correct, then I too support the killing of this bear. The cubs will be dealt with accordingly. It was never a secret that come spring that the bear would be put down as they felt it had denned up before they could find it. One dead out of three is better than all three if they got it at the time.

Tree

Edit: Here's the thread link.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...killed+by+bear
Pretty sad to be quoting myself, but read the thread I linked and learn the FACTS before you spout off! This bear had to be put down. To suggest that it wakes up from hibernation with an 'Etch-a-Sketch' brain is quite stupid. Kudos to SRD for a job well done. It could of been a child this summer, if she was that aggresive WITHOUT cubs! Give your heads a shake! Seems like some Jim ****ot fans on this thread.

Tree
Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 PM

When a man kills another human they put him in jail then let him out to do it again. I think they shoulda put the grizz in jail and let him eat prisoners.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When a man kills another human they put him in jail then let him out to do it again. I think they shoulda put the grizz in jail and let him eat prisoners.

x2

Its a win win situation
Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
how long did it take them to find this bear??? how i understand it it was jst recently that they found and killed the bear ??? probably after the bear came outa hibernation sound like it to me ??????
like i said
if you bought a puppy
would you punish that puppy for it after it was left 6 months ago or would you kick yer own but for not finding and cleaning it up at the time the crime was done
instead of waiting that long it would have maybe justified terminateing that bear at the rt time not months later,
and there would be one more sow to reproduce, evan if ment to move it to the yukon , or nwt
its not a nice feeling
or stay home , go fly fishing on the Bow in the city, lol ya might bump into a 2 legged preditor
that might maul or kill ya ; if that happened would they do the same to a 2 legged preditor ???
i say fire the S.O.B that pulled that stunt and orderd the bears termination , specialy after that length of time,
and I aint no Bunny hugger or tree hugger or save the bears and whales kinda person
i just say punish an animal for its crime at the time not months later , as they cant remember
We train puppy's not bears...and it's not about punishment. It's about public safety. The bears memory of events is irrelevant. This bear was a threat to the public...as per Tree's link.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 AM

You know what I think is obscene...

The lack of value put on a human life. Shameful. Next you guys will be sending money to Paul Watson.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 AM

Yeah what Russ said X2
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 AM

I support what SRD did, given the facts of the situation. I'd challenge those who are against the sow being destroyed to review and prove their contentions are superior to the reasoning given. So far, they have not done so, in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
like i said
if you bought a puppy
its not a nice feeling

This has to be one of the brightest comments ever on this board. Should they rub the bears nose in the guys carcass so it won't do it again?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:33 AM

bowchaser, you don't seem to look at it in the right context. The idea is not to punish the bear. The idea is to protect the public. They are wild animals not pets that you train to do what you want i.e. puppy.

Say for an instance you were the F&W manager that had to make the decision if the bear lived or died. Would you be willing to put your neck on the line for a bear that killed and subsequently ate a person (predatory attack). You want to talk about a lawsuit if this same bear did it again, you would be paying literally for the rest of your life. In this day and age those type of risks are unacceptable to any government (risk management). Once upon a time before DNA and they couldn't prove which bear did what, traps probably wouldn't have been set in the spring as they would have no way of knowing if they got the right bear. Now that ability is there the public expects it to be used.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:41 AM

HaHaHa, Good one bowchaser! I wouldn't want to be the f&w who has to crawl into the den and try and get her out.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 AM

I quoted the other post guy, you totally missed the point...
Old 04-06-2008, 01:15 PM

now that i got everyone all riled up
I,ll get serious
and say yup they shoulda done the bear in and they did the rt the thing by disposeing of it
just i think it should been done sooner
most of what i said in them previous posts
wuz just to see what kinda reaction I,d get
looks like it worked pretty Dern good didnt it
(a guy can sure get the experts and pro,s some upset just by being silly )

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-06-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 PM

2 funny

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-06-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM

i think they did the right thing in my books, a human life is worth a hell of a lot more than ANY bears. and if there is even a remote chance that it could attack another person then it should be put down at the time -six months later or whenever.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
now that i got everyone all riled up
I,ll get serious
and say yup they shoulda done the bear in and they did the rt the thing by disposeing of it
just i think it should been done sooner
most of what i said in them previous posts
wuz just to see what kinda reaction I,d get
looks like it worked pretty Dern good didnt it
(a guy can sure get the experts and pro,s some upset just by being silly )
More like you dont like lookin like the fool that everyone keeps QUOTING......so let's try to turn the attention ofF yourself by saying you just wanted to see the reactions. NICE TRY!!!!!!!!! ND to joke about a topic where there were lives lost. YUP UR REALLY FUNNY

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-06-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: remove comments
Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM

There is info in this story we do not have....

In another situation a friend of mine was mauled by a defensive sow grizzly... After the ordeal he told the officers not to kill the bear as it was acting out of defense and was ina remote area.

In this case thisarea is not as remote and if that bear had killed someone else everyone would be singing a different tune.

We put SRD in charge and they are public servants. The decision to destroy the bear was not arrived at lightly. Grizzly bears are considered threatened in Alberta (that is why there is a moratoriam) SRD has more information than i do and so i support their actions. This whole situation is unfortunate in all aspects.

There is a very real possibility I could be out fishing or camping there with my family and I feel better knowing that the balance of public perception has not influenced SRD so much that protection of a species is more imprtant than human lives/public safety.

Good to se SRD doing their job and also making sure the right bear was destroyed.

In the bear encounter with the hunter the best scenario ended up with a dead bear!....

I hope this situation raises awareness and when we have a hunter shoot a bear in defense; instead of chastising him we can remember that there could have been a worse alternative than a dead bear!...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
like i said
if you bought a puppy
its not a nice feeling
so killing the bear earlier would help it remember not to kill anymore humans...ok...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

By my way of thinking (not that it counts much )
By letting the bear winter with her cubs, they gave 2 more Griz a much better chance to survive. I am sure they could have taken this Killer bear out at any time they wished, but now the cubs have a decent chance at survival.

Last I heard, G Bears didn't have a "One Killing" free rule.(its a take off on the old "dogs get one free bite")
If bears show a tendency to kill Humans... Take them out. And I don't care if every bear in this entire world is killed doing so.
I love seeing bears, but Humans come first.

Jamie
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Here is my two cents.

I have made the assumption that this was a problem bear as I had heard that this bear was "known" to authorities.

I see two main themes for those that don't agree with this animal being killed.

1) Bear killed becuase that's what it is trained/ raised to do. 2) Why kill the bear now when the attached happened 6 months ago.

For those that say it's wrong to kill an animal for what it's been trained/ raised to do. First of all, I agree the bear did what everyone on here would expect it to do but think about this scenario. If you and your buddy are out hunting and one of you are attacked by the bear what is your response? The guy that is still standing shoots the bear. You are killing that bear because it attacked a human. (You'll see below why I don't think the passage of time makes a difference) In this scenario I don't think anyone would have a problem with killing the bear. If you have a problem in this scenario it seems to me that you are saying that you would watch a friend die of a bear attack simply because you were in his "territory". I don't think that there are many out there that could do that.

The second part of the debate seems to be that authorities waited to long to kill the bear. Why kill the bear now when the attached occurred 6 months ago. Some have compared this to a doggie doodoo and waiting too long to apply the punishment. I 'm not sure I see the comparables. You punish a dog right away because you want to teach the dog a lesson. Authorities were not teaching this bear a lesson; they were eradicating what they perceived to be problem bear. Eventually a dog will learn that it should not Sh%t on the floor but the authorities can't afford to wait for this bear to learn a lesson. Imagine being the parent of the child if this bear killed again especially if it frequents a campground.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
1) Bear killed becuase that's what it is trained/ raised to do. 2) Why kill the bear now when the attached happened 6 months ago.
Oh Boy that is original .
Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Doodle 30,

Like I said in a previous post, would you want to go crawling in a Grizz bear's den while it is getting ready for hibernation? If so, you probably wouldn't come crawling back out!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Default My take

When I read the link, Fish and Wildlife states

Wildlife investigators on the scene last November "had no doubt that this bear did target the individual," department spokesman Dave Ealey said from Edmonton.

He also said there was no sign of a fresh kill in the area that the bear was protecting.

"I don't want people to think we are cavalier about this. This is a significant loss to the bear population - we understand that."

Having read the above!

These professionals did an investigation, they felt a bear that "targets an individual" should be put down!

On a side note, maybe the bear should have been put into a special draw for us bow hunters, would have been a great bowhunt!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM

This is a wild animal that has to search for food every day to survive. After killing a person, beyond the reasons why, if there is any possiblity that the bear could see humans as a possible food source, the bear needs to be detroyed. However unfortunate it is.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is a wild animal that has to search for food every day to survive. After killing a person, beyond the reasons why, if there is any possiblity that the bear could see humans as a possible food source, the bear needs to be detroyed. However unfortunate it is.
What is unfortunate is that once a human steps into said wild animals territory, that human, like it or not becomes part of the food chain. Use the forest at your own risk and know the possible reprocussions. Bear kills human, Bear 1 Human 0. Oh well. Leave the bear alone. Its not like it killed a fella on the steps of the legislature. The bear is searching for food in its home territory not in your backyard.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 PM

I urge all outdoormen & women who venture out in beear country to read "Bear Attacks, The Deadly Truth" by James Gary Skelton. He is analyzes bear attacks. If this book doesn't make your hair stand up on the back of your neck, then nothing will. Some attacks start out as defensive then turn predatory. Yes this means that the bear uses the threat that it has nuteralized as a food sourse. ( man becomes food)

Those close to the sourse that discovered Mr Peters boby will tell you that he was found disembowled and partialy eaten & buried under a log. This bear has had a taste for humans and will now treat all humans as a food source.

Thats what makes her so dangerous.

NOW, who wants to take their family camping in her territory ? By the sounds of some of the commenters feel that the bear has rights, even more so that a poor unfortunate hunter.

Regards
Flipper
Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 AM

“Only a white man can starve to death in a field of food!” This is what my grandfather told me when we found him. I was 12; it was the first dead person I had seen. It wasn’t pretty, it had been a warm fall and the critters and the bugs had enjoyed quite a feast.

Now my grandfather wasn’t making a racist comment. What the old trapper was saying was this unfortunate chap was out of touch with the world he lived in.

He had become lost hunting, we found him on our line he’d died of exposure and had been in the meadow for several days. The guy lived for about nine days before the cold wet nights and his empty belly got the best of him. Just too run down to keep going. He died in a meadow with several edible plants around him. Just down the hill the lake, full of beaver and rats. The guy died with shells in his pockets it must have been a deer rifle, because he didn’t shoot any beaver…he just went hungry!

Nothing stayed with me in my sleep except the noise of the flies. And thank God as I grew older the memory faded and the noise stopped visiting me in my dreams.
40 years later the sound of the flies is all but gone.

Then I read the crap posted on this thread and I hear the sound of the rising flies once again. More than a few have lost their way. They are cut off from the natural world as surely as the dead white hunter was lost and alone in a land he could not fathom.

My grandfather use to tell me that bears were like pigs. They ate anything and they scavenged the dead and diseased. I should let them be because they kept the game healthy.

He also said if one was to stalk me to kill it, if one hung around the cabin or gardens to fire off a shot and send it running, if it came back to shoot it. They’ll be happy to hunt the young kids so you can’t let them visit.

Makes sense to me, it’s the way it’s always been. Avoiding having predators feed on your family by running them off and killing them if they insist on returning. So when a bear chows down on a hunter I’m not disappointed when the wildlife officers destroy it, that’s what has to happen. It’s not a good survival strategy to allow critters to feed on man.

What really sends the cloud of flies into the air is when I hear the “it’s their territory BS”. Now these folks clearly have lost touch. You don’t even see yourself as part of the natural world it belongs to every other species except man. Well you know what? Your right, you are no longer part of the eco system.

Now I still consider myself part of the eco system, hell I’m the apex predator. I grew up in the bush. We were part of the system not removed from the system. We’ve always been part of the system.

I live in a town just like the many of you folks, but I still see myself as part of the system.

I get bears in my yard all the time, that’s right my yard not his territory!

Now if one of them considers snacking on one of the kids I intend to harvest him. Some of you folks might think your living one with the wilderness by allowing bears to kill and eat people, but your not, your just exhibiting poor survival skills.

Bzzzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzz bzzzzzzz bzzzzzz….aw hell bugs got to eat to!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Well said uglyelk!... very well written and very true!...

I enjoyed the read and can relate!