Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Dead Grizzly?

Just heard today that the grizzly that killed a hunter west of Sundre last fall was caught and killed at a location near Sundre? Positive ID made by DNA analysis. Two cubs to be relocated at a later date. Anybody know more such as where bear was killed?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 PM

http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/arti...icleID=2899063
Old 04-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Default bear

going after a mother bear moths after it killed someone is crazy!! what about the cubs will they servive? crazy!! anyone that ventures into the bush hunting, fishing, hiking whatever AT YOUR OWN RISK! what do we expect every animal to not defend their families? scared of bears stay out the bush.
Darrell
Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 AM

after that length of time and then killing that bear ????????
how ignorant and stupid of the people invovled and some should should loose their jobs over this that is like finding a dried up 1o day old puppy turd and beeating the puppy for it the animal didnt even have clue what it done wrong
i say lets start a partion and get the people invoved fired over this clueless act
How do ya start a formal partion ??????????????
Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Good I am glad they got it.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck71 View Post
scared of bears stay out the bush.
Darrell
that is true, but I think the reason they killed the bear is that the bear will not have a fear of humans anymore and perhaps will try again and teach that to her cubs.
I thought it was a juvenile male when they first reported the mauling, crappy it had to be a sow with cubs. but i support them taking the bear out only because that bear probably wont have any fear of humans and may try again.
I feel most bears have a fearful curiousity about humans like we have of them and try to stay out of each others way.
Makes me wonder even more why the guy stayed around the kill site with cubs and standing his ground.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Good I am glad they got it.
Like u can`t rope the wind said,this is disturbing to say the least.Did they through the dead bear into the pits of dead deer that they killed .CWD.It sounds like they had to avenge the death of that hunter
to keep the towns folk from being scared.ARE WE IN THE 1800`s still.We are canadans ALL HUNTERS SOULD BE PREPARED TO ENCOUNTER GIZZ IN THERE HABITAT.Key word THERE.Not ours THERES.I`m sorry for the loss of his life and his famailys loss don`t get me wrong.But if he was anything like me and hundreds other hunters in canada,he wouldn`t be happy with this outcome.Because we RESPECT the animals we hunt and love nature in all its forms.And the protective mother grizzly is something we all know about from a young age.The sow just did what she was made to do.I could see if it was a bear that was around town triing to kill every one.Or killing livestock but i think this is a different story.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-06-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: remove comment
Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 PM

"I think the reason they killed the bear is that the bear will not have a fear of humans anymore and perhaps will try again and teach that to her cubs."

Most grizz don't have a fear of humans anyways, so I really don't see the purpose of killing this bear. She had cubs at a kill site ( correct me if I'm wrong ), and simply did what her species is programed to do in this situation...fight or flee. Its unfortunate that someone died as a result of the incident. If this is the stance that we as humans are going to have towards grizzlys or any other wild animal, what is the purpose of " protecting " a species, as was announced in regards to the grizz a few days ago. This is a total BS move by SRD as far as I'm concerned, but thats my opinion.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 PM
-TROUT-

I agree with you outlaw'd....I dont think iv ever known or seen a grizzly, or black for that matter, back down from anything while they had there cubs. Its natural instinct with them...remember everyone, were in there territory no matter how you look at it.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Dead Grizzly

Looks like bear management at its best.
From what i have read , the hunter had come close to a kill , no fault to the hunter, but being in the right place at the wrong time.
The bear had probably been feeding on the kill, the grizzly and cubs where close by when hunter came onto the kill, it looks like bear was protecting cubs as well as the kill, A VERY NATURAL WAY TO REACT IN THE WILD.
As sportsmen we are being told by people in the know, that the grizzly bear pop. is on the decline, they take away grizzly hunting season, to protect the bears, Then go out and shot grizzly sow that was doing everything she was taught to do , it is a crap shot as to wheather the cubs will survive in the wild. Possibly we have 3 dead grizzlys.
I beleave someone should have to answer to this sensless killing of an endangered speices.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 PM

The natural response of bears to humans is fear. The other responses are either defensive (ie, you surprised me, or I'm with my cubs, etc.), or predatory. (you look like lunch) That's good in regards to keeping us alert when we may be encountering bears. When a bear attack results in someone's death, there's not much to think about, it simply has to be taken out. We're not about to sit around waiting for it to happen again.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Relax guys, it's just a bear. There's lots more of them out there. The species won't cease to exist because they took out one bear, or even three. Think about this, they've positively identified that bear as the one that killed that hunter. What if they didn't kill it and it got someone else this summer? What if it's your friend, or brother, or wife? And something could have been done to prevent it. Then what? Who should lose their job then? I know, I know, it's their territory, not ours. Sorry, I don't buy into that, I've got just as much right to be out there as the bear.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
Relax guys, it's just a bear. There's lots more of them out there. The species won't cease to exist because they took out one bear, or even three. Think about this, they've positively identified that bear as the one that killed that hunter. What if they didn't kill it and it got someone else this summer? What if it's your friend, or brother, or wife? And something could have been done to prevent it. Then what? Who should lose their job then? I know, I know, it's their territory, not ours. Sorry, I don't buy into that, I've got just as much right to be out there as the bear.
Then it has as much right to kill you as you do to kill it?Right?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 PM
-TROUT-

I beleive the time frame from when the attack happend to when they killed the bear is rediculous. Do they not have better things to do then focus on one bear for a year? If you go out hunting I beleive you know what could be in store for you. yes like others said, its sad one lost his life. But the bear was doing what came natural to it, why take take revenge on the bear, kill it, and leave two cubs who most likley wont make it? Iv read books on bear attacks, lots on actual people who study the bears, and none of them held a grudge on the bear. They all said they dont want it killed, they were in the bears habitat and new the risks. I could see if the bear was in a town attacking people and what not.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Looks like bear management at its best.
From what i have read , the hunter had come close to a kill , no fault to the hunter, but being in the right place at the wrong time.
The bear had probably been feeding on the kill, the grizzly and cubs where close by when hunter came onto the kill, it looks like bear was protecting cubs as well as the kill, A VERY NATURAL WAY TO REACT IN THE WILD.
As sportsmen we are being told by people in the know, that the grizzly bear pop. is on the decline, they take away grizzly hunting season, to protect the bears, Then go out and shot grizzly sow that was doing everything she was taught to do , it is a crap shot as to wheather the cubs will survive in the wild. Possibly we have 3 dead grizzlys.
I beleave someone should have to answer to this sensless killing of an endangered speices.
Endangered species????
Old 04-05-2008, 12:55 PM
-TROUT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
In a way thats true, we go in there territory to hunt them down and kill them, do you expect them to sit there and watch something unfamiliar in there area and not be suspicious, especially when protecting cubs or food. Its all natural
Old 04-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Absolutely, but I'm the one with the gun.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 PM

I actually also think that it was pretty useless killing this bear. It's bad because of the cubs even though I didn't see how old the cubs are. If they are not too young and the relocation is done somewhat intelligently thye should ahve a sporting chance.

I need to defend F&W though; they really don't have a choice in the matter.
Imagine the uproar and lawsuits against the government if this same bear injures or kills somebody else this summer?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, but I'm the one with the gun.
ya your rightBut you wouldn`t stand a chance without it and thats why you use caution in grizz country RIGHT. To bad the hunter didn`t have or shoot his then there would be no big deal for me.A guy has to be ready for that in grizz country.But i think killing it after the fact is bs.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:43 PM

I for one cant i feel sorry about the bear .good they got the bear .
Quote:
thats why you use caution in grizz country RIGHT. To bad the hunter didn`t have or shoot his then there would be no big deal for me.
I have to disagree you can use all the caution you want but if you stumble unpon a bear YOUR SO CALLED CAUTION IS OUT THE WINDOW you cant not perpair for that it happens to fast nice try.kudos to the F/W for doing there job.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Slow down boys. Most likely there were no cubs with her at the time she killed Mr. Peters. I'll try to find the original thread that was posted by someone who works/owns/runs (?) Mountainair Lodge that had all of the details and post the link.

Apparently this bear was VERY well know within the campgrounds over the course of last summer, and after it increassingly agressive behaviour it was transplanted (I think).

If my memory is correct, then I too support the killing of this bear. The cubs will be dealt with accordingly. It was never a secret that come spring that the bear would be put down as they felt it had denned up before they could find it. One dead out of three is better than all three if they got it at the time.

Tree

Edit: Here's the thread link.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...killed+by+bear

Last edited by TreeGuy; 04-05-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM

" Relax guys, it's just a bear. There's lots more of them out there. "...........famous last words........... ...........probably what the last guy to get a dodo bird said..........
Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 PM

They did the right thing srd couldnt take the chance it would attack someone else.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:40 PM

It is like anything else it gets easier eveytime you do it no different from the bear killing a person.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:00 PM

I agree they did would should of been done. i like how they say the Grizzlys are on a decline. Hmmmm maybe in some areas but not in others. I see more and hear of more and more seen by other hunters where i hunt. We use to never see them, the odd sighting by someone else. But now we have them thru our camp every year now. I seen 2 on the same mountain one day (not together). and my hunting partners saw one more in the next valley. So decline I find hard to believe. Maybe along the trans Canada Highway and a few other locations, But not all of Alberta!!!!

It's always a risk going into the mountains, yes. however how many families Camp at around Mountianaire lodge and Yaha area????????? Not HUNTERS I MIGHT ADD. My relatives and friends do and they DON'T HUNT or keep a gun in camp to protect themselves...Now if this was a problem Bear and it took down a kid....then what??? F&W took the proper precautions nessary. WE CAN'T JUST HOPE IT WAS A FLUKE (wrong place wrong time deal)

Job well done congrats to F&W for finding the bear and taking no chances with anyone elses life.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Tree is right, this is the same bear that was seen several times hanging around Mountaineer Lodge. It's my opinion this bear had no fear of humans and ASR had no choice in the matter. I never agree with the senseless killing of a sow bear looking after two cubs but in this case I believe the powers to be made the right choice.

If this bear were to kill again and they had DNA proof it was the same one that killed Peter's, then heads would roll for sure.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
" Relax guys, it's just a bear. There's lots more of them out there. "...........famous last words........... ...........probably what the last guy to get a dodo bird said..........
What, you're one of those who believe grizzlies are on the brink of extinction? Hmmmmm. I would beg to differ. Spend some time in the back country outlaw'd, there's still lots of grizzly bears out there.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Good on you dave!!!! that attack was very close to a road, it could have been a mother walking with her kids. We are the ones who leared to walk on 2 legs. I've been put to my truck 3 times by grizz. Nothing to defend myself but a flyrod. Dont really care to ever see another one. I know theres people who will jump on this but wait until you get stalked without a gun!!!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 PM

the way i see it and understand this pls correct me if i,m wrong
the bear kilt the hunter in november Rt???
how long did it take them to find this bear??? how i understand it it was jst recently that they found and killed the bear ??? probably after the bear came outa hibernation sound like it to me ??????
thats a long time for an animals memory
like i said
if you bought a puppy
and wuz tryin 2 house train it
and you found a doggy dodo pile that wuz 6 months old
would you punish that puppy for it after it was left 6 months ago or would you kick yer own but for not finding and cleaning it up at the time the crime was done
or as close to that time????
the way i see it if they had of found and terminated that bear asap
instead of waiting that long it would have maybe justified terminateing that bear at the rt time not months later,
in this case they could have moved the bear and cubs to a very remote area
and there would be one more sow to reproduce, evan if ment to move it to the yukon , or nwt
and yes i have been face to face wth a few Grizz and have been stalked by them,
its not a nice feeling
But if ya going to the outback Bear country take the rt precautions for saftey
or stay home , go fly fishing on the Bow in the city, lol ya might bump into a 2 legged preditor
that might maul or kill ya ; if that happened would they do the same to a 2 legged preditor ???
nope no matter how much money it took
some bleeding heart would want to rehabilitate him
thats more consideration for some crimnal than they gave the bear
i say fire the S.O.B that pulled that stunt and orderd the bears termination , specialy after that length of time,
and I aint no Bunny hugger or tree hugger or save the bears and whales kinda person
i just say punish an animal for its crime at the time not months later , as they cant remember
what they being punished for.

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-05-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM

" What, you're one of those who believe grizzlies are on the brink of extinction? Hmmmmm. I would beg to differ. Spend some time in the back country outlaw'd, there's still lots of grizzly bears out there. "

Relax Dave..................just yanking your chain................'sides I never said they were on the brink of extinction did I? As for spending time in the back country, I've hunted enough around Swan Hills, and I probably spend more time out in the bush working. than most guys on here, especially around GP, Fox Creek and Tumbler Ridge to know that the bears are still plentifull............I just think that there could have been a different approach to handling this bear..........relocation was an option............they do it lots with problem bears in the Swan Hills area.