Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Where are the big ducks

Hello everyone

Been out for ducks and geese the last week and have not seen many big ducks. What have all of you seen around Edmonton? Or is it they have not come down from up north? I also noticed the crops seem a little late getting cut making goose hunting harder.

Have a good one.

TF
Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_flyer View Post
Hello everyone

Been out for ducks and geese the last week and have not seen many big ducks. What have all of you seen around Edmonton? Or is it they have not come down from up north? I also noticed the crops seem a little late getting cut making goose hunting harder.

Have a good one.

TF
I have noticed the exact opposite. There are dozens of field duck shoots between Edm and Tofield
Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_flyer View Post
Hello everyone

Have a good one.

TF
Where are you hunting? SE of Edmonton 90% of the peas are off, a big chunk of the barley and everyone is getting nicely into the canola and wheat. There are lots of geese with some decent duck shoots as well.

Most guys are going to straight cut their wheat so the fields are left standing until they are harvested. In a week there is going to be a very noticeable difference.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Where are you hunting? SE of Edmonton 90% of the peas are off, a big chunk of the barley and everyone is getting nicely into the canola and wheat. There are lots of geese with some decent duck shoots as well.

Most guys are going to straight cut their wheat so the fields are left standing until they are harvested. In a week there is going to be a very noticeable difference.
Been going east of Leduc. Have seen a few right next to the city cutting the wheat, but you can't hunt it. How far out are you going SE? Been to a bunch of DUC sites near Hay Lakes and only seen puddle ducks. Where have you seen some mallards or canvas? If someone that knows and is ok to having another join, let me know. I have the gear but I just can't find them this year.

TF
Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Up around Edm should have a decent bunch of birds starting to show up. We have lots of specks and plenty of ducks down this way already. Good numbers of resident honkers are around, even a few snows down this way already. Friend and I have looked at one area, on the west end, are some honkers. a few specks, lots of ducks, go 10 mi east, are tons of specks and huge duck nbrs. Sometimes it is just a matter of looking around a bit more, for the areas they like to concentrate in. And at the moment they are spread out a bit, there is lots of water. That will likely change in about a month or so, then they will start flocking on bigger water.
Just have to keep searching. Could be a bunch sitting on one pond you can't see, until crops are off, and they are coming off fast this year.