Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Meat Cooler

The beginnings of my walk-in cooler. Finally, been yapping about this for some time now...

Igloo ice chest motor going in the ceiling, ac/coolbot in the side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clearwater County-20130614-00051.jpg (87.7 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg Clearwater County-20130618-00053.jpg (91.0 KB, 625 views)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM

nice start.Thanks for the pics.Contemplating doing a similar project later this summer
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Thx for the post! Lots of pics on the construction please. Thinking about one of these as well with the CoolBot.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM

Default structure

What are you doing to hang your game? Any thoughts on rails or frame to handle large critters?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
What are you doing to hang your game? Any thoughts on rails or frame to handle large critters?
This is the inside of my home made walk in cooler I have in the garage.

I have 4X4 posts on the roof panel that I have an I-bolt attached through....then through the roof....then I have chainlink fence posts attached to that with bands and bolts....have had 2 moose and 3-4 deer in the cooler at one time, plenty strong enough.

LC
Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Looks good guys, good topic. I am in the works of building a shop myself and want to put a cooler in the corner. I do have a few questions; i assume 2x6 walls, floor, and roof with r20 are sufficient? Are most lined with puck board on the inside? How much $$ will a refridge unit pull on your power bill/month to cool an 8x12 space? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 PM

The cooler I have is 9x9x5 and I honestly haven't notice the bill bounce up that much when I had it on steady for a month......it is insulated really well and is thermostated so the refrigeration unit is only on when needed but the condenser fan runs all the time. Unit is 220V fan is 110v.

LC
Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
Looks good guys, good topic. I am in the works of building a shop myself and want to put a cooler in the corner. I do have a few questions; i assume 2x6 walls, floor, and roof with r20 are sufficient? Are most lined with puck board on the inside? How much $$ will a refridge unit pull on your power bill/month to cool an 8x12 space? Thanks.
R20 is fine if you use foam insulation, I'd stay away from fiberglass. High humidity can cause it to sag and mold. Sprayfoam would be ideal, make sure to insulate the floor and ceiling as well. At least that's how I'd do it.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Sits in shop most of the year then loads up on trailer for sept elk hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.4 KB, 370 views)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The cooler I have is 9x9x5 and I honestly haven't notice the bill bounce up that much when I had it on steady for a month......it is insulated really well and is thermostated so the refrigeration unit is only on when needed but the condenser fan runs all the time. Unit is 220V fan is 110v.

LC
What do you set the thermostat at generally?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
What do you set the thermostat at generally?
34-36 degrees Fahrenheit, your chiller/cooler should be able to maintain this temperature consistently 24/7 while aging the meat.

LC
Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Rain/Work and working late is getting in the way of further progress. However it is squared and finished sheeting outside last night, no pics yet as started to rain. Need to build ceiling tonight weather pending. In a bit of a rush since I have 4 pigs ready to slaughter.

Building is 8x8 with a 10' interior height. Maybe overkill but in the fall not only do I hunt but a have a large garden and 60 apple trees to tend to and need cooler space.

Floor- 4x4's on ground, 5/8" treated plywood, poly vapor barrier, then 2x4s and fiberglass, a 2x4 all around parameter for wall support, then 1.5" SM Styrofoam, and a 3/4" osb floorboard on top, capping that with some galvanized tin so wash out is easy. All joints glued with PL400, PL 300 for gluing Styrofoam.

Walls- 2x6@24" centers, 3/8 outside sheeting, will be fiberglass in walls, vapor barrier then inside will be sheeted with more SM Styrofoam all glues and taped, for now a heavy white/black poly to seal and allow easy wipe down. Have building wrap for now for exterior just to keep weather/moisture out and prevent water damage(which is why a corner of a garage or shop is ideal/cheaper)

Ceiling(the plan)- 2x6 on 24" centers, fiberglass in joices, vapor barrier and SM on interior roof, I have 2 sliding rails and a 110v winch to assist in lifting game to hooks that I will use, don't have the rollers or hooks yet. same heavy poly to help seal, 2- 4ft fluorescent lights down center for light.

Roof- not sure but thinking a front to back slope so I have room for cooling motor in attic. I'd rather have a left to right slope so later when I have the funds I can build a lean-too off the one side for more storage, can always use more roof space...

All for now.

By fall hoping to have enough overtime in to pay for tin siding, or vinyl to match house.

Last edited by Allseasons; 06-19-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I've read that running all month in the lower 49 they see power jumps the same as a hot tub would be for us up here. Anywhere from $25-$50.

For the cooling unit, I gave my card to a few guys working the county dumps, asked them if they seen any ice chest motors come in to give me a call(the same you see mounted on top of those bag of ice cooler outside of gas stations, 4 bolts and they dismount- 110v power cord). It worked, got a couple calls right away, the one I took in for servicing cost $135 for a cool control to be replaced. Cheap that way and only going to use this unit to get inside cold in a hurry. A 12,000btu AC and the coolbot to help regulate ongoing temp is running me $300 each piece but I didn't take time to watch kijiji for a deal. Out of time and need it going in 2 weeks...

Last edited by Allseasons; 06-19-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM

*Update*

Work and weather, quite the battle this year. However I have made quite a bit of progress this past week and the unit should be ready for the opener week.

Definitely overkill but will work out very nice to have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone pics sept 13 151.jpg (101.1 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics sept 13 162.jpg (79.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Still have inside tin covering for floors and walls to do. Door is finished but needs to be hung. Then wire it up but that will be quick and painless.

A/C and coolbot work like a charm. Cools it down quick

I ended up sheeting the outside with 3/8" OSB, then used acoustic sealer and plastic wrapped the outside, then building wrapped it, then added a second layer of 3/8" OSB. Outside is definitely sealed from outside air humidity from getting in. I will have to paint then use 1x3 to do building corners as trim to "pretty it up" for this year. I wont have time to galvanize sheet it this season.

On the inside I did have to go fiberglass insulation and a layer of styrofoam "sm" board, it is all silicone and sealed to keep moisture from spoiling the fiberglass. Fingers crossed, but when I get the inside tin sheeting up im fairly confident I'll be ok from moisture and mold.

Hopefully next pics are of game hanging in the ole cooler.... And Mrs Allseasons wants her yard cleaned up.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone pics sept 13 161.jpg (49.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics sept 13 165.jpg (55.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics sept 13 166.jpg (72.0 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by Allseasons; 09-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Mr. Allseasons

If you don't mind me asking, what's the final price tag going to be all said and done?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Mr. Allseasons

If you don't mind me asking, what's the final price tag going to be all said and done?
That depends.... Your not a friend or closely related to Mrs Allseasons are you?

I really don't know. I'd guess at 22-2500 right now. I started paying attention and keeping receipts, but its been drug out for so long tough to say...
Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 PM

LOL! No acquaintance of Mrs. Allseasons. I was curious because my cousin bought one as a complete package (not including metal siding), but with all refrigeration components and he paid nearly $5K. Sounds like you're doing okay at half that amount!

Well done. Looks fantastic.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Default cooler and parts

I got a commercial grade walk in cooler with all the components and extra that I was thinking of putting in auction. It come out of a dairy queen and is 115'' x 92'' x 83''. The problem is that that the cooling compressor is 3 phase. I am unsure if anybody on here would be intrested in it but I had grand illusions of building a shop and they where dashed. I also have a thermo king reefer unit. Bought the trailer thinking we could use as a cooler and meat cutting shack. I'm keeping the trailer but the cooling unit can go to. I don't know what kind of shape the compressor is in but the 4 cyl diesel engine is ceased. I think. I f anybody is interested let me know.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 PM

completed my build .Used 2 inch styrofoam sm on floor.3/4 plwood on top of that.2x4 walls covered inside and out with sm sheating then 1/2 rough spruce.Cooler demensions 12 ft long 6 ft wide.Utilized unistrut to create a frame for hanging.A/C and coolbot does the trick.Sorry no photos.My computer skills are lacking.More comfortable with chain saw and sledge hammer.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM

Great Pics!