Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
KyleM

4 days a week @ 8 hours a piece.
Could be more but Im a bit of a panzy
Iam a cabinet maker but I got suckered into starting my own
business out here installing kitchens.

Not to long ago it was 6 days a week at 13 hours per day though.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM

4 on 4 off 11hr days unless something happens at the end of the shift then you stay till it's done. 5 week rotations so work five weeks of week days and five weeks of weekends three rotating shifts 8 - 7 pm, 3 till 2 am and five till 4 am. Training and court duties on days off.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM

M->F 8:30-5:30, 40 hours a week. No more no less, til inventory time.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Reeves ,,the only thing is it's in Japan , i'm in Vancouver right now waiting to fly to Tokyo in a few hours. It's a MWD job working offshore there.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM

10 on 4 off 11 hrs per day minimum 242 hrs a month
Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
70-100 hrs a week in winter 55-75 now...gotta love oil-field trucking....
been there huck that! It`s two up and down for this guy. 10000 in winter to 10 bucks in spring.God i need a 9 to 5 job with weekends off.I`d stay till i was dead.lol
Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Just scored job hauling gravel 66 hours a week overtime after 8hrs.Same route 80% of time to and from pit to plant.They give ya 2 weeks vac every year.2 weeks at x mass.And i get a pretty lookin peter tridrive with 40000 kms on her.Guaranteed 40hrs a week in fall and winter.I think i can make this work. Life after oil patch sounds good to me.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 PM

Monday thru thursday 10 hours,friday half a shift and I'm done at 10 a.m.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
4 on 4 off 11hr days unless something happens at the end of the shift then you stay till it's done. 5 week rotations so work five weeks of week days and five weeks of weekends three rotating shifts 8 - 7 pm, 3 till 2 am and five till 4 am. Training and court duties on days off.
That could make for a long long shift . And court ugh God only knows how many hours one can spend time in there waiting on the prosicuter to make there minds up , and then to go to all that work and paper work and find out the judge sentences them to 25 years and they only end up serving 5 years on good behaviour must **** ya off.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Default spurly

Hey spurly ,are you a millwright by trade?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 PM

On call 7 days over the winter. Hotshots make me nothing but cash. Summer different. Fall same, hunting looms large, and the company realizes that. I have no problem putting in 2/300 hrs./month, because that pays for the summer play time.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 PM
TundraBuck

I work when I feel like it. heh heh heh.

But no, I'm the senior engineer at my firm and usually I'm there to supervise stuff and do the financing and contract hiring. On Average though I'd say probably 30 hrs a week.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM

Supposed to be standard 40 hours a week, but it's flexible. Can sort of come and go as I please. Sometimes I work less, sometimes more. If I have a deal going I've been in the office from 7 a.m. to midnight. Sometimes calls or travel on weekends or nights. I'm supposed to get an extra day off every month but rarely take it. It's more of a "just get the job done" sort of job. I'm judged on what gets done, not the hours I put in. I like that.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
On call 7 days over the winter. Hotshots make me nothing but cash. Summer different. Fall same, hunting looms large, and the company realizes that. I have no problem putting in 2/300 hrs./month, because that pays for the summer play time.
2 to 300 hrs a month.Your log book must be like every oil patch log book.FULL OF B.S.My wife allways said if the public new all them big semi`s rollin down the road had drivers that have had only 3 hours sleep in the last 4 days,hauling some of the biggest equipment around they would pull over every time they saw a big rig.Not the life for me but respect the guys that keep living the oil patch dream.lol
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Default sucks

Salary job, about 55-65 hrs a week. Was real good for 20 yrs, now after 25 too old to leave but hourly closely approaching at 40 hrs aweek. STAY AWAY FROM SALARY!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 PM

50-60 depends how I feel

Fri time and half
Sat double time............Hard to miss those days

work the Sat. and bank the cash so i can take time off when i want it
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I work a 40 hour schedule, but I generally put in about 60 hours.
I'm on a salary contract, and my cell is on 24/7.
The upside is I drive a supplied truck and don't pay for fuel, and some other fringe benifets that are not calculated in!
Cat
hey cat what do you do? sound like my summer job

well right now i only work a few shifts a month (no time and im still young) but in the summer i work the 815-5 and some times in the middle of the night but all is well io love my job
Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 PM

buck sounds like your in construction
ive done 70 hr weeks(6 12 hrs shifts) and 44 hrs i like to 70 hr weeks but after a couple months they turn into a drag
Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
hey cat what do you do? sound like my summer job

well right now i only work a few shifts a month (no time and im still young) but in the summer i work the 815-5 and some times in the middle of the night but all is well io love my job
I'm a business agent for the Carpenters Union.
Cat
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
Salary job, about 55-65 hrs a week. Was real good for 20 yrs, now after 25 too old to leave but hourly closely approaching at 40 hrs aweek. STAY AWAY FROM SALARY!
Check the labour regs dude - A salaried position is supposed to average 40-44 hours a week. In short, you're being took.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 PM

where do we get a job aplication ?????
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
hrs at work in a week

For me as few as possible. I wish i could retire right now, but, no can do ... maybe in 4 more years. (be 60 then) I recently bought some land in Saskabush and in Fox Creek, the cabin is next.

One thing I learned over the years...make hay while the sun shines. When I was young It never bothered me to work 7 days a week/ 12hour days. Now I see life differently. The older I get the more I want to play.

All work and no play is not fun anymore.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Check the labour regs dude - A salaried position is supposed to average 40-44 hours a week. In short, you're being took.
Not true dude. There is no limit on hours per week. There is a limit on hours per day, and a guideline on days off per work period, but you won't find 40 or 44 anywhere except in terms of payment of overtime. And many people are exempt from the rules altogether... ie. managers, supervisor, professionals, sales people, etc.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post

One thing I learned over the years...make hay while the sun shines. When I was young It never bothered me to work 7 days a week/ 12hour days. Now I see life differently. The older I get the more I want to play.

All work and no play is not fun anymore.
So true, seen many folks on their deathbed and never heard any of them say they wished they had worked more during their life or cared about those material things they wasted their life working for..
Old 04-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up hours at work

I work 4 nights, 3 off, 3 days, 1 off, 3 nights, 3 off, 4 days, and 7 off. all 12 hour shifts, all DT time after this and 7 days off every 21 days every rotation unless overtime. works out to 168 hours every 4 weeks
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Default buy yourself a farm

i think that the people that work shifts, salaried etc. are people that i can't understand. please don't get me wrong that you do what you have to do, but in this life i believe that the selfemployed aspect of life is something that has to come back. years ago when i was growing up nobody had jobs that they had to be there or your fired type attitudes. i grew up in a farming community where the streets in town on a friday afternoon were packed with people shopping, curling, ball teams, etc and now those people and lifestyles are long gone or dwindling quite fast. but seriosly the time i believe has come to reclaim those days as costs of living have risen so dramatically.just think about the things that we used to enjoy that were free or cost was very minimal ie. tv- 3 channels,nothing to watch, now 75/month cable 200channels nothing to watch.radio-the local stations or at night the ones from calgary, now sirius and listen to some dork from new york who spouts nothing but sewere from his mouth.
i personally believe that you can have a place to live ,raise your familyand persue the things you love to do without have to suck up to some person that you normally would never want to associate with. if buying a farm sounds crazy just think about it for a while. a lot of peoples basic needs can be raised quite easily and for very little outside investment. generally just time and a little sweat equity can produce all the food your family will need and when that requirement is met you can sell some to your neighbors or friends wherever they live. my background is agriculture but my motto for life is one i took from my 4-H days as a kid which is "learn to do by doing". there is no problem i cant handle without that form of thinking. the other motto that i have is one i come up with on my own is "if money were my god do you think i would be doing what i'm doing here". that statement comes the decision not to attend university and get some type of degree allows me to put some little letters behind my name. sorry if i offend some of you people that have worked hard and tirelessly for that priviledge. its not that i dont believe in higher eduation (pun) but some of us aren't meant for the boardrooms of fortune 500 companies or the classrooms of schools but are meant for the smells of poplar in spring, watching a heifer have her first calf, or fixing a tractor or combine in the middle of the night under the headlights of an old pickup. i travel into calgary or edmontons downtown cores very infrequently but when i do i cant believe all the people that are running around with what appears no direction but they know that they have to get where they are going or face the rath of not having the almighty dollar that affords the homes that they live in. then something like a power failure happens and listen to the cries of unsaved data on a computer or whatever and i think of times when i was little and the power went out and all you heard was silence and darkness and how that just seemed ok at the time and you just went to bed.
Maybe i'm just growing older and some psychologist can explain by some study that was done at a university that can explain my need for a simpler life. but i found that being happier in my head is a whole easier than having to deal with the problems associated with living in large centers and maybe its a good thing i live out here on my farm as i would have probably gone postal quite a while ago.
If you need help or direction in this crazy idea of "being a farmer" i am more than happy to share some of my experience in this endeavour. it is possible and the choices are endless but my prefernce is the simpler you can make life the better. the one thing i do know is the guy who puts in the most hours per week is not the winner.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Calvin i hear ya on that last part.I lived on a farm for a bit growing up,It was some of the best times in my life.It was where i learned about the out doors.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Not true dude. There is no limit on hours per week. There is a limit on hours per day, and a guideline on days off per work period, but you won't find 40 or 44 anywhere except in terms of payment of overtime. And many people are exempt from the rules altogether... ie. managers, supervisor, professionals, sales people, etc.
Like I said check the regs! It also makes a difference if the job is federally or provincially regulated.