Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 PM

There are parts of Ugly's post I would agree with and some I wouldn't. The problem lies with the fact that whats ours is ours and whats theirs is ours. They can't roam freely in much of the land without crossing somebody and getting shot or run off. With a human population such as it is these bears no longer have a sanctuary where they can avoid people no matter what they do. There is bound to be problems and if we kill them every time something comes up then at some point they are going to hit the skids.

If we are going to use the "threat" issue as a reason to kill them fair enough. But we as an intelligent being better be respectful enough leave them a place where we aren't going to ride roughshod over them and they are left to be an apex predator. We like to think of ourselves as a smart species who's life is of the highest value (lo the person who thinks we are just another cog in the nature machine) ...lets not forget that we do a heck of a lot more damage to ourselves and other animals and the planet than any bears do. We are a far bigger risk to ourselves...isn't that ironic. SMRT
Old 04-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
There are parts of Ugly's post I would agree with and some I wouldn't. The problem lies with the fact that whats ours is ours and whats theirs is ours. They can't roam freely in much of the land without crossing somebody and getting shot or run off. With a human population such as it is these bears no longer have a sanctuary where they can avoid people no matter what they do. There is bound to be problems and if we kill them every time something comes up then at some point they are going to hit the skids.

If we are going to use the "threat" issue as a reason to kill them fair enough. But we as an intelligent being better be respectful enough leave them a place where we aren't going to ride roughshod over them and they are left to be an apex predator. We like to think of ourselves as a smart species who's life is of the highest value (lo the person who thinks we are just another cog in the nature machine) ...lets not forget that we do a heck of a lot more damage to ourselves and other animals and the planet than any bears do. We are a far bigger risk to ourselves...isn't that ironic. SMRT
Elkster, you aren't being a proponent of respect, responsibility and accepting consequences now are you? Won't get you far around here. After all, they're just animals.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
chevy427

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post

The part of this that I find hard to swallow is we supposedly do have these areas, they are the national parks like Banff and Waterton.

Maybe we need to shut them down for vehicle traffic so bears are not killed on the roads. Maybe we need to rip out the development in them too so the bears don't get shot becasue they come into the townsites and eat garbage.
Fat chance that will ever happen, as long as there are other people like hunters to point the finger at and the money is rolling in it will never happen.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Wow,you guys are still going on this.I read up on this story and now think they did the right thing.F&w that is.Uglyelks post kinda opened my eyes.Thanks uglyelk. it`s easy to forget who you are in the big picture sometimes. Thats just my opinion.

Last edited by jaybull; 04-14-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM

What's with the debate, if a dog bit your kid you would have the dog killed, the bear ate someone, just a bit more gruesome I think, have the bear killed. it wasn't killed by vigilantes it was done by the law. Done deal.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy427 View Post
The part of this that I find hard to swallow is we supposedly do have these areas, they are the national parks like Banff and Waterton.

Maybe we need to shut them down for vehicle traffic so bears are not killed on the roads. Maybe we need to rip out the development in them too so the bears don't get shot becasue they come into the townsites and eat garbage.
Fat chance that will ever happen, as long as there are other people like hunters to point the finger at and the money is rolling in it will never happen.
Thats part of the problem. They aren't even protected in the parks. This isn't just a hunting problem and honestly I've never heard hunters put out there as solely to blame for the problem. Mostly people argue that with ALL the pressures surely we can give them a break from intentional killings. Given that the grizz hunt isn't even a meat hunt and is really a pure trophy hunt its pretty hard to argue that IMO. Of course some aren't going to like that but given that everyone drives and few hunt its pretty obvious what the outcome is going to be. Should we have to make up for what are killed by other development?...we could argue that one til the cows come home but I don't think we are going to beat progress.

I guess we could just exterminate them all and eliminate all risk and management issues. I mean we are the top apex predator "hear us roar!"
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM

I have never encountered a problem bear.

I have been charged by a grizzly, only because my buddy and I didn't see the signs. But we should have! Had one of us been mauled, it would have been our own fault. Maybe even the bear that charged us no longer saw humans as a threat, especially considering that we backed off and left him to his territory. Did we create a problem bear by backing off and allowing him to feel dominant?

Using the same logic as that which was demonstrated in this recent dilemma, maybe the parks should track down the grizzly that charged me all those years ago and destroy it too.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM

Default rbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I have never encountered a problem bear.

I have been charged by a grizzly, only because my buddy and I didn't see the signs. But we should have! Had one of us been mauled, it would have been our own fault. Maybe even the bear that charged us no longer saw humans as a threat, especially considering that we backed off and left him to his territory. Did we create a problem bear by backing off and allowing him to feel dominant?

Using the same logic as that which was demonstrated in this recent dilemma, maybe the parks should track down the grizzly that charged me all those years ago and destroy it too.

Just curious, say the charging Grizzly caught your buddy, 2 warning shots did nothing, what would yo do then?

Tell his wife and kids " well we were in his territory"
Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM

i do not know if this is true ,but this is what i herd
that bear had been threatining the lodge more then twice and
wildlife managment tried to scare the bear off more then once with rubber bullets,and it did not work,and i dont think there is much shorteg in grizzly`s seeing that i have seen more grizzly`s than black bears in the last few years.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Well I don't agree with them killing the bear. But on the other hand if they relocated it, they would have moved it to my bow hunting area!! I say this because there seem to be way more grizz where I have hunted all my life. We have always had black bears but know all the sign I see is from grizz!!! Pretty scary when all you have is a bow in hand. I know for a fact that they have been relocating bears to our area's. Problem for me is why??? Are they problem bears??I have run into some pretty aggressive black bears in the last couple years. I spend alot of time in the bush hunting, and I have no problem taking out an aggressive bear!!!! BLACK OR GRIZZ!!!! It comes down to him or me it's always going to be the bear in my mind. I personally think black's are more aggressive. I hunt with grizz all around me when out bow hunting elk, and have never had a problem with a grizzly yet!! Knock on wood. I think grizzly's are smarter they just move off if your in the area, we probably don't even know they are there half the time. So In short if they have to move a bear to a new area they may as well just kill it. If they don't someone out there will. It may be you or it may be me. An aggressive bear is a dead bear!!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

i was talking about this last night and i also herd that they have tried to relocate this bear a couple of times and it just kept coming back...soo if that is true i absolutyl agree with killing it