Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Grampa Jim

Duffy, so what defines a 'Big" hit?
How do you manage to call such a thing?

Did you see anything wrong with Dions hit on the iceing call?
I guess D men are getting tired of being knocked around chaseing that puck..

Jamie
Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 PM

duffy no not you.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
SNIPER

One thing that everyone should be able to agree on is, Sarich's hit was closer to a penalty then McLaren's phantom elbow.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 AM

Sniper that was a joke too. I think it was all in the angle of the ref????????? hmmmmm the elbow was up for sure however it did not hit him. It's all in the view of the ref and his thought process at that instance........

Thank God they have the instant replys for goals now or whew lala

GO FLAMES GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Banned

yup on the instant replay....we won the cup on our run
Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned

The Sarich hit was a thing of beauty - clean and solid. The effects of that hit will be felt for the rest of the series by both teams.

You didn't hear Marleau whining about it, so I'm not sure why anyone else is whining about it. He got caught with his head down and he paid the price for it, next time he'll have his head up on the side boards.

The "attempt to injure" or match penalty has nothing to do with that hit. It's there for things like stomping/kicking, hitting from behind, kneeing, stickwork to the head, spearing, etc... - in other words, deliberate attempts to injure that are not within the context of the game. Attempting to apply that rule to the Sarich hit shows a lack of understanding of the rules and the game in general.

Waxy

P.S. Go Sharks.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
The Sarich hit was a thing of beauty - clean and solid. The effects of that hit will be felt for the rest of the series by both teams.

You didn't hear Marleau whining about it, so I'm not sure why anyone else is whining about it. He got caught with his head down and he paid the price for it, next time he'll have his head up on the side boards.

The "attempt to injure" or match penalty has nothing to do with that hit. It's there for things like stomping/kicking, hitting from behind, kneeing, stickwork to the head, spearing, etc... - in other words, deliberate attempts to injure that are not within the context of the game. Attempting to apply that rule to the Sarich hit shows a lack of understanding of the rules and the game in general.

Waxy

P.S. Go Sharks.

X2 except the sharks thing at the end. lol.

He had his head down and got slammed. Same as drury last year against the the sens. Clean hit for sure. I was in the 22 row of the second deck right above the hit and could easily hear it from there. The electricity it added to the crowd was amazing and the difference in the game for sure. great for marleau to keep going after both those hits. he showed a lot of heart for sure. Can't wait for 8PM tonight!!!!

GO FLAMES GO
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Grampa Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post

Waxy

P.S. Go Sharks.

Well at least not till this morning. He`said Sarich was going for his head.

I wonder if he will even look down while he stands to go to the bathroom for the next few days.

jamie
Old 04-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Give it a break Duffy

It's over with. Sarich's hit was legal, it was not an attempt to injure, there was no jumping, or elbow involved. The only reason it was close to the head is that Marleau started to fall backwards when he saw Sarich at the last second. If a penalty was to be called, I would go with charging, but that was borderline. You have to remember that Marleau was moving at a good clip also, having had his head down along the boards, when Sarich decided to step into him, he had no place to go. If his helmet strap was tight, his helmet likely would have stayed on and he may not have been injured. The Shark attack on Sarich had nothing to do with the legality of the hit, but he was coming to the aid of his captain, just like I hope the Flames would if Iginla got smoked.

The Sharks did not fight back after that hit. You would think that they would have tried to hit everything in sight.

Bottom line, the Sarich hit changed the game, and possibly the series. We will find out tonight.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Grampa Jim

Ab.. You bring up a good point.
Why on gods green earth did the sharks not stick up for their Captain.
Dion pasted him on a icing call, then Sarich sent him into next week.

I would hate to see what would happen if Iggy was hit like that.
I think it says a bunch about that team.
BUT Iggy had better watch out tonight. I am sure someone will be looking for some payback.

GO FLAMES GO
Jamie
Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Well at least not till this morning. He`said Sarich was going for his head.

jamie
I don't get that. If you have your head down at waist or shoulder level looking at the puck, how can anyone hit you and not be "going for the head"? Sarich had his arms down and didn't leave his feet - there was no attempt to go high or after the head - he simply made solid contact with his shoulder. A hip check would have caught Marleau in the head...

The whole "going for the head" thing is a tough one. It's like when they started cracking down on hitting from behind (and rightfully so), guys would spin around and turn their backs to the player so they either couldn't be hit or they'd draw a penalty. It put those players in a very dangerous position, and it left the defender in a no win situation. If you skate around with your head down all game, can you then not be hit because any hit would be targeting your head?

I agree that we need to protect the players, we're learning more and more about the negative effects of concussions all the time, but how do you go about it in a manner that doesn't take the physical aspect out of the game? The NHL is going to have to figure that one out, but so far, I think they've done a pretty good job of identifying the cases where the head was specifically targeted and punishing those players.

Waxy

P.S. I'm disappointed in Marleau for whining about it if he did. Getting up and continuing to play after taking those hits, and not complaining about it in the interview, made my respect for him grow big time, he'll lose a lot of that respect if he's whining about it today. I'd feel the same way as a teammate of his - it's not inspiring to the other guys on the bench if you're whining about it, that means you let the other guy get the best of you.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
The Sharks did not fight back after that hit. You would think that they would have tried to hit everything in sight.

Bottom line, the Sarich hit changed the game, and possibly the series. We will find out tonight.
I totally agree.

I knew the Sharks were in trouble from that moment on. They didn't, or couldn't, respond in the following shifts. Very telling when your captain gets crunched and there's no outburst from the team. I think Calgary has them dominated physically and mentally at this point. I don't know what happened to the Sharks, but they look soft to me.

Thornton in particular is going to have to get it together, and Sharks desperately need to start playing with some urgency and toughness, or I'll be cheering for the Flames next opponent in short order.

Waxy
Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Grampa Jim

Here is the link to the story

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey...88461-sun.html

He doesnt complain to much as he damn well knows it was clean hit.

Jamie
Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Ab.. You bring up a good point.
Why on gods green earth did the sharks not stick up for their Captain.
Dion pasted him on a icing call, then Sarich sent him into next week.

I would hate to see what would happen if Iggy was hit like that.
I think it says a bunch about that team.
BUT Iggy had better watch out tonight. I am sure someone will be looking for some payback.

GO FLAMES GO
Jamie
big difference........Iggy can hold his own. The team would come to his aid. However Iggy can hold his own and plays better when he's mad. IMO
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Score tonight

Who going to win and what is the score going to be?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Whether or not the hit by Sarich was "clean" or not legal is up for interpretation.

Just because a penalty was not called at the time does not really mean it was legal. I'm sure you will all agree that on any given night there are calls made that should not be and non-calls that should be made.

Whe I look at the NHL rules that I have quated here (from the NHL Rules sight), I think Sarich's hit was not legal. Marleau from his recent comments thinks so too.

Think about this, what is the speed limit on the QE2 ? And what speed do most people drive on it?

Most drivers do not follow the speed limit rules and they mostly get away with it. The wost ofenders do get caught occasionally and get punished.

Most hockey players do not follow all the rules ("The BIG HIT") and most of the time they get away with it. So much so that we now call it "part of the game" we call it the "physical style of play" we call it "a clean hit".

If it was a "clean hit" then why would the Sharks want to retaliate ?

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 PM

Well, I thought it was a good clean hit. Stick and elbows down, body on body. Maybe his chin strap is too loose and the flying helmet is what made it look bad? I do mine up nice and tight, mostly because I can't skate well.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
any player who deliberately attempts or who deliberately injures an opponent
Only the player making the hit knows what his intentions are.If he doesn't use an elbow or a stick,and doesn't charge or hit from behind,the ref can't simply assume "attempt to injure".

Quote:
A "body check" is body contact to seperate a player from the puck and is a legal hit
It could also be intended to throw the player off of his game if he fears that he will be hit whenever he has possession of the puck.

Quote:
If it was a "clean hit" then why would the Sharks want to retaliate ?
Because a big hit can change the momentum of the game the same way that a goal can.Returning the hit can neutralize the effect.

Quote:
Whether or not the hit by Sarich was "clean" or not legal is up for interpretation.
And the refs made their interpretation by not calling a penalty.Are you saying that you are more qualified to interpret the rules than the refs?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM

3-2 sharks
Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 AM

On a night like last night if you look south of Edmonton you can see the flames go out!!!!GO SHARKS GO!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 AM
gopherslayer

Funny

I could swear we had an NHL thread going already *scratches head*
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherslayer View Post
Funny

I could swear we had an NHL thread going already *scratches head*

We do, guys please keep your hockey talk in there.