Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 11:50 AM

Post Are cheap red dot sights worth it?

I just picked up a Ruger 10/22 and want to get a red dot for plinking. I see Cabelas has a few options for <$100. Would these be adequate for plinking at 50-100yards, or should I wait to get a more expensive one?

In a perfect world I would like to buy a nice Vortex and be done with it, but I am wondering if for my case a cheapo job would work.

Never used a red dot, so I am entirely new to them.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10120...e-reflex-sight
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/42409...-red-dot-scope
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Cheap red dots are great for low recoil firearms , putting it on a 10/22 will be perfectly fine.

Only time I had trouble was with heavy recoil
Old 11-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Know what you're getting into. A red dot scope has an illuminated dot that comes in various sizes. The real benefit of a red dot is quick target acquisition.........at the expense of accuracy. Do not get a red dot any larger than 3 MOA. Smaller is better. At 100 yards a 3 MOA red dot scope will cover up 3 inches of your target. At 50 yards it will cover 1.5 inches, at 25 yards...you get the picture? A good yet fairly inexpensive red dot scope is the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. You can get them on Amazon.ca for $100. It has a 3 MOA dot.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:43 PM

I have a Bushnell TRS 25. It'll work fine for your 10/22 without breaking the bank.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I have a Bushnell TRS 25. It'll work fine for your 10/22 without breaking the bank.
I agree, had one of these for awhile with no issues, also a vortex spitfire and sparc 2, all worked well with no issues, I curently have a rioland brand with 4 different reticle choices from Amazon, there is many of the same ones to choose from, just rebranded, I paid $40 shipped and use it on my 10/22 for steel challenge with no issues after several hundred rounds, but there is a fair bit of reticle distortion so not a good choice for smaller targets at distance. Amazon has lots of reddots to choose from read some reviews, watch some vids and make your decision. Hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot73 View Post
I agree, had one of these for awhile with no issues, also a vortex spitfire and sparc 2, all worked well with no issues, I curently have a rioland brand with 4 different reticle choices from Amazon, there is many of the same ones to choose from, just rebranded, I paid $40 shipped and use it on my 10/22 for steel challenge with no issues after several hundred rounds, but there is a fair bit of reticle distortion so not a good choice for smaller targets at distance. Amazon has lots of reddots to choose from read some reviews, watch some vids and make your decision. Hope this helps!
Never thought to give Amazon a look, I'll try that. I had good luck buying a bipod that I am pretty sure is the same as a Caldwell, but rebranded. Thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 10:57 AM

I have a trs-25 that spent a few years on a 45-70. Currently it's on a Enfield 303 Brit. I also have 2 CHEAP tasco red dots ( under 100$) both have been moved around between a few guns. 22lr, 30-30,sks and 12g shot gun. I've had both tascos for over 5 years and both still work great. The heavyest use they have seen was mounted on a 12g shooting #4 buck for close range coyotes. Probably shot 100rds or so and it's still going strong. The other taco is currently mounted on a 10-22 and has had no issues holding zero. My only issue with the tasco red dots are the 3moa dots. Fine for a called in coyote over a shot gun or a white tail deer running in the thick stuff but a bit big for pdogs when all you see is top of head and eyes sticking out of a hole.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:29 PM

I have a Vomz Pilad on an SKS, works great until about ten below then the watch type battery loses its mojo and the dot fades.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 PM

You can put basically anything on a rimfire. But cheap scopes on anything with decent recoil will result in broken scopes.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:51 PM

I have a TRS-25 on my SKS. Seems to work "good enough" for me.