Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Exclamation Always carry a tow-strap ... always!

You just never know when (and for what) you're going to need one . . .

Mac
Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Good on him.there are lots of people that just refuse to help people these days
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Good on him. there are lots of people that just refuse to help people these days
True ^ ... I couldn't agree more!

But there are also lots of people who are just too damn scared, and don't know what to do ... not all of us are cut out to be heros. For them, the best thing they can do is call for help, stand back, and watch and learn.

Mac
Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM

It's nice to see good news for a change.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 AM

wow that's awesome, terrifying, incredible.

Good for him, I can not see how anyone could possibly not stop, but have witnessed it many times.

Nice to see good things happening.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Tow strap and rope are standard equipment in my rigs!
Good on him for saving the lady!!
Cat
Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 AM

good for him.

Most people don't know what to do in emergencies and usually end up doing the wrong things or stand there dumbly watching bad things happen.

Really glad he was happening along that day.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:00 PM

I've got a question relevant to the thread....

I like towing people out, it's a good feeling to help people. BUT what if you pull someone out of the snow and somehow damage their vehicle when towing it?

There's always a little fear in the back of my mind that their tow hook is going to break, or the vehicle will slip somehow and the strap (I NEVER use chain) will break their plastic bumper or something....

could you be liable for damage if this happened?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post

I like towing people out, it's a good feeling to help people. BUT what if you pull someone out of the snow and somehow damage their vehicle when towing it?

There's always a little fear in the back of my mind that their tow hook is going to break, or the vehicle will slip somehow and the strap (I NEVER use chain) will break their plastic bumper or something....

Nope not responsible!
I always tell them they have to hook up their vehicle and if something breaks it's on them!
Cat
Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Whenever possible, make the towee hook the strap to their own vehicle. Sometimes this rule has to be broken. For obvious reasons.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I always tell 'em I'll be glad to help, chain, strap, or whatever - but it MUST be at their own responsibility, and they must agree.
And yeah, they should hook up their vehicles themselves as catnthehat mentioned.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nope not responsible!
I always tell them they have to hook up their vehicle and if something breaks it's on them!
Cat
That's some good advice
Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM

I sorta wondered if it fell under the "good Samaritan law", ie if you break someone's rib doing CPR on them, they can't sue you (unlike the US).

but I guess having them hook up their own vehicle would absolve you of liability.

thanks

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Might want to use an CSA approved tow hitch for pulling anyone out...last year Husky had and instance while pulling using a tow strap hooked to hitch with a 2 inch ball...the ball broke off and became a missle went through the window of the truck that was pulling seriously injuring the driver of said vehicle
Old 03-31-2014, 03:39 PM

I've always had my jumper cables with me, but I suppose even if i can't tow someone it's a good idea to have it. Another addition to the car kit.

Great to see someone with the mind to help others. I think many don't know how to react in real time, or just believe someone else will do it.

Now stop staring at my rack.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nope not responsible!
Cat
Sage advice.

Always have two strap, booster cables, fire extinguisher, car jack, 4-way, etc. Never hurts to have things that you (or someone else) might need.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Might want to use an CSA approved tow hitch for pulling anyone out...last year Husky had and instance while pulling using a tow strap hooked to hitch with a 2 inch ball...the ball broke off and became a missle went through the window of the truck that was pulling seriously injuring the driver of said vehicle
Good advise.
I saw that safety bulletin and know of another incident where the broken ball went through the gill.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 PM

The fellow was a hero but as far as I'm concerned the woman was an idiot. You risk your life and the lives of others for a dog that by the way, can swim. Unbelievable. The dog was smarter than her.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The fellow was a hero but as far as I'm concerned the woman was an idiot. You risk your life and the lives of others for a dog that by the way, can swim. Unbelievable. The dog was smarter than her.
Right or wrong, most family dogs are considered part of the family (a family member). People have been known to risk their lives for family members ... even the canine variety. Idiot or not, the term 'instinct' comes to mind.

It is true that most dogs can swim, but very few know how to get back up on the ice. In most cases hypothermia eventually sets in, and they drown.

Mac
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I can't believe how many people still use a tow-ball as a recovery point. Those things are deadly. If you have a removable hitch, take the hitch out, poke the strap into the reciever and use the pin to hold it there. It's stronger and if it does break, it won't become a deadly missile.