Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 06:46 PM

Default John Deere Zero turn mowers

We have recently bought a new hone with a large yard. Looked at a few Deere mowers today on the lot but no salesman around. Seen a couple youtube videos of them and thinking about the Z425 mower.

Anybody have these mowers and what are your thoughts? Thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 PM

I don't have a zero turn mower just a regular ride on, but something I've been told by a few people is that it's very hard to drink a beer while mowing the grass with one of them. Just something to keep in mind lol
Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I don't have a zero turn mower just a regular ride on, but something I've been told by a few people is that it's very hard to drink a beer while mowing the grass with one of them. Just something to keep in mind lol
Ya I suppose
Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Great Machine!

Bought one last year and mow 3 acres of grass around over 200 trees. Mows and turns fantastic. You can't go wrong with this machine.

Very easy to maintain also. RUNS LIKE A DEERE!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper23 View Post
Bought one last year and mow 3 acres of grass around over 200 trees. Mows and turns fantastic. You can't go wrong with this machine.

Very easy to maintain also. RUNS LIKE A DEERE!
You buy the 425 model or a different one. I'm sure the guys at Deere would love to sell me one since I work for a Case dealer. Haha
Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 PM

The idea of trying to steer a machine with two levers seems almost prehistoric. Is there a unit that steers with a single joystick like a skidsteer does?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM

We bought a new Z425 48" cut last year. Works great, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Deere.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Exactly. They come with cup holders, but you can't really use them. Silly engineers.

Mine is a 52" , I think, and other than having to stop to drink your beer, I love it. Once you buy a zero turn, there is no substiture for cutting grass. Twice as fast, at least, as using a traditional ride-on. Plus donuts and wheelies are fun.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
something I've been told by a few people is that it's very hard to drink a beer while mowing the grass with one of them. Just something to keep in mind lol
Solution found.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
Solution found.

What, the helmet or your blow up doll, haha.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM

I haven't owned a Deere but I did buy a new zero turn last year and ended up buying a Gravely ZT HD 60". After shopping around and comparing w/ Deere and Husky it just seemed I was getting way more when comparing bang for the buck type of stuff.

I not knocking Husky or Deere, both great names. They just didn't want to deal on price and both dealers gave me a kinda stunned look when I asked if they stock common wear items like bearings, spindles, and belts. The dealer where I bought the Gravely assured me this would not be an issue. I've only had the Gravely for a year so the jury is still out if I made the right choice, no issues yet. You could not pay me enough to own another Cub Cadet, no offence to anyone who owns one.

The beer thing is a major con of the zero turn, I just bought one of the hats that holds a couple beers at a time with built in straws, problem solved.

Have fun shopping...
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Default Zero turn

Father in law bought the deer and I brought a Kubota you will never go back to a conventional mower again.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:26 PM

If your going to buy the Deere, check in the USA. I bought a 465 zero turn and it was 2500 to 3000 less then my local JD dealer. The nearest dealer to the border is in Conrad, Montana and they usually have stock and that where I purchased. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 PM

I have a z465 , 62" awsome mower! Deere makes a good quality zero turn . Yes they are pricey but you get a good product . I would like to upgrade to a brand new one but this year they decided to go to a 24 hp on the 465 and I don't like that ! As far as drinking a beer on it there is no way I could the amount of dust that it makes and speed I mow at I would shake the heck out of the beer . You will love the zero turn mower .
Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Mine is a John Deere 445. This machine is super quick! Parts and Service are always available unlike its Competitors. Resale of Green is always great!
When i finish i have lots of time to have a Beer!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 AM

I looked at a lot of mowers, and went with the Cub Cadet z force 60 commercial. Heavier spindles, and transmission, bigger engine.

I wouldn't get too caught up in green paint. John Deere, Cub Cadet, and Kubota all use the same transmission manufacturer, Hydro-Gear. But different models.
I think when I was looking, comparing Kubota to the Cub, they were comparable models, but the Kubota had a lighter transmission with either aluminum gears I believe, where the Cub used the model with cast. I think that's what it was, it was a part that sees a lot of where anyway.

At the end of the day, nobody builds their own equipment. They buy engines from one manufacturer, transmissions from another, after that its just belts and pulleys.

I'd look at the components more closely, than the brand. And get the biggest engine available, makes mowing wet grass much better.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 AM

I went with the cub cadet zero turn turn with the steering wheel. I really like it!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter17 View Post
I went with the cub cadet zero turn turn with the steering wheel. I really like it!
And yeah, get a steering wheel. I don't even know why they have these levers, or why any one would buy them. If levers were user friendly, swathes would still have them.

My wife wanted levers cause that's what her dad bought, and he loves his. So we demo'd one and she was going along, and I told her to scratch her nose, so she had to stop the machine.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 AM

I've got a cub cadet that I'm happy with. 52" mower and it takedown 3 hours to cut my lawn. Wish I would've bought a zero turn because I bet I could save a 1/2 hour per mowing.
What has the jd got for a motor? When I was shopping around I thought they had a Briggs and scrap iron. Cadet has a kohler.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM

I have a John Deere Z520 and it's great. The only thing that I've seen that was a nice feature was on a Country Clipper (I think) the deck pivoted and lifted up 90 degrees in front for easy access to clean the deck and maintain the blades. It's a nicer system than jacking it up and lying on a creeper, but I don't know how the overall quality of the mowers compare. Oh, and the John Deere is very loud, I have to wear shooting ear muffs with my ipod earbuds inside. If you try and wear earbuds or cheap headphones to listen to music, you just can't hear it. Minor issue though.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM

Default John Deere

I am looking at buying one of the John Deere D130. I am also looking at getting the 2 stage snow blower attachment.
Does anybody have experience with this model and the snow thrower? Pros and Cons appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

I have a Troybilt,steering wheel type with a suicide knob.It aint zero turn but sooooo damn near,it hooks around really tight.Best part is come winter I drop the 4 foot deck and put on my 4 foot blade and chains and wheel weights ,never shovel again.Hydrostatic trans too.17 horse KoehlerI can have my beer and drink it too.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM

Since no one has mentioned Ferris zero turn mowers, I'll put in a plug for them. Great machine, smooth ride, fast cutting speed, lot's of fuel capacity, cheaper than Deere. Not saying Deere is a bad machine though.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM

I have the model your looking at and have had it for 7 or 8 years. Great machine but I agree the access under the mowing deck is not good. I use my skid steer to lift it up and then block it before working on it. The pivot deck sounds like the answer.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Cub Cadet

I bought the 52" Cub Cadet RZT. It's as good as any mower in my opinion, and $1500 cheaper than the Deere or the Toro. Has a Kawasaki not a Kohler but either is fine if well maintained I'm sure.

One thing to keep in mind is a zero turn takes a little practice. Your pivot wheel will bore a hole in your lawn if its wet at all. But once you get the hang of it it doenst happen as often. 3 point turn is the key.

Also a little hairy on side slopes. Wants to slide downhill real easy.

The handles ride close enough you can steer with one hand on the straightaways and get a quick gulp.

Kids can do a pretty good job with these as well. With a little supervision. My 8yr old mows sometimes, but not as straight of lines as the old man.

Looper
Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM

The Country Clipper is a neat machine. It has a steering joystick versus the typical twin lever steering. The joystick steering is great, you can also get twin lever steering if you choose. They have many accessories to offer as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I am looking at buying one of the John Deere D130. I am also looking at getting the 2 stage snow blower attachment.
Does anybody have experience with this model and the snow thrower? Pros and Cons appreciated.
Thanks
I have seen this as well. I wonder how prone the belt is to slipping when it gets wet in the snow
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 PM

My vote is for the Cub Cadet RZT with a steering wheel. Made all my neighbours look twice last year. and side hills like a RZR side by side
Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 PM

My old John Deere packed it in last year and I did a lot of looking around both up here and state side and end up getting a Bad Boy Mower out of Great Falls. Awesome machine and saved 3 grand by driving 3 hour south to get it, come take a look at it if you want Jordan.

Jim..