Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Mazda 5 questions

Both the wife and I are having problems getting in and out of our present car and looking into a SUV. Research on the CX 5 sees them running either 1-2 with the Honda CRV in most reports. Does anyone have one and pros cons appreciated. I will be looking at and driving both in the next few days. Have friends with the Honda but the Mazda intrigues me from the write ups. Would go with the basic engine GS Model.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:19 AM

We have a '14 CX5 it has just over a 100k on the clock and so far so good never had any issues at all. Ours came with a factory remote start which is a real pain to use. The other thing that annoys me is when the car is running and yo want to take something out of the rear hatch or put something in you have to shut the engine down or else it wont unlock.

Before we bought the CX5 we test drove a bunch in the same class like the Honda crv, Nissan rogue, and Toyota Rav 4 and out of all of those the Mazda had less wind noise on the highway, but that was 4 years ago.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:26 AM

Just got the wife a new car, we went with the CRV, but looked at the CX-5. CX-5 had nice leather and felt high quality inside, but we didn't even take it for a drive because the seat didn't go far enough back for me. I have long legs and most full grown men that get into my truck have to move the seat way up though.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys. I'll be driving one this AM so we'll see. Nice to know about the legs as my son-in-law may drive it and he's a long legged guy. We may end up with the CRV as its a toss up on reviews.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Both the wife and I are having problems getting in and out of our present car and looking into a SUV. Research on the CX 5 sees them running either 1-2 with the Honda CRV in most reports. Does anyone have one and pros cons appreciated. I will be looking at and driving both in the next few days. Have friends with the Honda but the Mazda intrigues me from the write ups. Would go with the basic engine GS Model.
Basic engine is on the GX. GS is same displacement, but has cylinder deactivation.Gets slightly better mileage.

I was a huge CRV fan until the 1.5l Turbo.Would not touch one with a 304.8cm pole. Drove one in the mountains and it was so underpowered. Not to mention the winter issues with that engine. They say the old 2.4l is available on lowest trim level, but I have never actually been able to find one in the flesh

I vote Mazda
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 AM

I'm a sucker for looks on a vehicle and generally don't like Honda.

I'd vote Mazda on the paper race. Curious to know your thoughts following a test drive of each though.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Have you checked out the Subaru Forester?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-04-2019, 03:11 PM

Checked both out today and the Mazda won hands down in my opinion. Body panels fit better and seem solider. Lots of sound proofing and more quiet on highway. Better power curve and it handles very well. Took a right angle corner on sales guy's advice and no lean etc and powered right around it. Would have been sliding in my car. Overall I'm very surprised as I've never had any contact with a Mazda over the years. The dicker fight is on so time will tell if I own it. The Honda did seem under powered but they sure sell a lot of them. I drove a 1.5 Equinox and it works hard as well. Their 2.0 calls for premium fuel so ruled it out. Will look into Subaru if I lose the dicker.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Is it just me or do a large portion of newer Mazdas on the road have rust issues? Seems to be on the doors, quarter panels, and trunk whenever I see ones with rust. Might be something to consider if you plan on owning for a long time.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Never owned a Mazda but have driven some as longterm rrntals. One I drove for a monthin Australia. It had 70000 klm on it when I rented it and about 90000 when I turned it back in. All the ones I drove handled well got good gas mileage and okay to good engine power. What impressed me with the Aussie rental is their roads are really rough and twisty and the car was still tight and rattle free at almost 100000 and most rental cars are driven pretty hard. The other half dozen had a lot less miles but never found one that wasn't
tight. There were a couple with the smaller motor that I found under powered. Would love one with a normal aspirated 6 cyl with about 300 hp.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Subaru Forester Test Drive

Here are my thoughts after taking a Subaru Forester for a test drive a few months back...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=subaru
Old 07-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Biggest difference between the two is the Honda holds its value far longer. Lots of CRV's out there with 300 - 500k on the odometer and still ticking along. I don't like the look of them, although the new versions are an improvement, but used they go for ridiculous prices.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Here are my thoughts after taking a Subaru Forester for a test drive a few months back...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=subaru
Still funny months later
Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Still funny months later
YEP, I'm still laffing
Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 PM

In-laws just bought one a few months back. Driven it once and I much prefer my wife’s Jeep Cherokee. They haven’t had any issues with it but I find it underpowered and the location of the controls for the radio and heater/ac are bizarre. It looks good and the fit n finish is nice but again not my cup of tea!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:04 PM

Two weeks ago I'd have suggested test driving a VW Atlas but after they gave me a Tiguan for a loaner during service I can't recommend VW crossovers. The Atlas is big, offered with a V6 and reasonably priced but man I did not like that Tiguan one bit. Loud, rough and jerky. I think it's the best looking crossover on the road but that's about where the positives end. I'm curious where the Atlas ranked in those comparisons you were reading.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:42 AM

We have a Cx-5 One thing about the mazda over other small suv's is the drivability It is a very nice driving car! You will enjoy oyu selection!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Thought I'd update as a decision was made. Ended up with a loaded Equinox with 7000 K's on it. Long story short proximity to dealer and price point. Offer at Mazda didn't work because my math skills were different than theirs. 34500 price tag- deduct 14000 for trade is 20500 in my rule book plus gst and they ended up wanting 23000. Oh there are hidden costs. Gonzo out the door. Yup, I had calls with better pricing but when ticked off I go.Wife actually likes the Equinox better than some of the imports and we have owned Toyotas before.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM

My MIL has one, 17 or 19” tires don’t recall but she had issues getting winter tires.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
My MIL has one, 17 or 19” tires don’t recall but she had issues getting winter tires.
Interesting. I have 17s on my wife’s Jeep and haven’t had any issues finding winter tires.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Interesting. I have 17s on my wife’s Jeep and haven’t had any issues finding winter tires.
!9 and 20" are quite hard to find a good selection of winter tires for. Getting better but still can be a challenge. 15,16,17 and 18 are now pretty common and so is winter rubber for them. Problem is 18" and up the rubber is REALLY expensive compared to the more common wheels.