Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Default Abs glue removal

Question for the plumbers out there. What is the best way to remove ABS glue from your hands? did some plumbing for my cousin today and made a mess of my hands. I use to plumb but now I know why I got out of it. Now I just let the welder glue the pipe together. any trucks would help out a lot thanks.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:21 PM

It is chloroform solvent base AFAIK (if you can get some), or could try acetone
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Banned

Paint thinner
Old 02-29-2016, 11:12 PM

Wear gloves beforehand :P

I avoid chemical thinners, some abrasive cleaners can remove a good amount, then let the rest lie and it will come off within a day or so. Any on hair will have to be peeled. My favorite hand cleaners are Worx and Stokovario Solopol (very gritty with finely ground walnut shell). Worx is handy on my service truck because as a powder it can't freeze in winter so remains useable. The Solopol I just recently mounted the dispenser in my laundry room so can start using it again. Both products leave your skin feeling good and don't strip out the skins natural oils.

Does anyone else recall using smelly Lustre Sheen a few times a day and then later on your solvent-reeking knuckles would crack open and bleed when making a fist?

If you get some ABS glue dropped onto your shirt don't try to wipe it off, instead try to leave the glue alone to set and peel it off easily once its dried fully. If you have a spare shirt in your vehicle or are at home then change and let the glue dry undisturbed. The same goes for glue spilled on a concrete or plywood floor. use drop cloths when working in areas with finished surfaces.

http://www.worx.ca/en/products/worx-...d-cleaner.html

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-29-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 PM

It will wear off in a day or two. I pick away at it in a hot shower.
I started wearing thin gloves more regularly after my oldest daughter was born. I didn't like sticking a soother in a new baby's mouth with green copper fingers, or crusty glue fingers.
Speaking of that, who has a solution for cleaning green fingers from working with copper?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
It will wear off in a day or two. I pick away at it in a hot shower.
I started wearing thin gloves more regularly after my oldest daughter was born. I didn't like sticking a soother in a new baby's mouth with green copper fingers, or crusty glue fingers.
Speaking of that, who has a solution for cleaning green fingers from working with copper?
Or how to keep soldering flux out of nicks and cuts!

The above cleaners work for me, I'd rate the Worx # 2 of the two based on the better abrasive nature of the Solopol. I had to source the Solopol from a janitorial supply outfit, I can't even recall their name so I hope they still have the same location The wall mount dispenser is handy. I first encountered the stuff in client industrial facilities and tracked it down around 16 years ago.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:58 AM

WD40 cleans a lot of stuff. Give that a try first as everyone has a can of that someplace.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 AM

Flux in cuts....ouch
gloves are best but sometimes it's just inevitable like when gluing overhead.I use alot of ipex aquarise piping products . The primer will work to remove it from clothing but not so much from skin but not so great in cut. Put on a layer of hand lotion or barrier cream beforehand it works well to but it may cause gripping issues or leave marks everywhere. Glasses are vital when working overhead as well.
pending that you can soak it in cider..

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Banned

Default Carnuba

I use paste wax (auto) to remove contact cement from my hands, but when I am cleaning up after the job and not several days later.

Isopropyl alcohol is a good solvent also.

Free
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Wear gloves beforehand :P

I avoid chemical thinners, some abrasive cleaners can remove a good amount, then let the rest lie and it will come off within a day or so. Any on hair will have to be peeled. My favorite hand cleaners are Worx and Stokovario Solopol (very gritty with finely ground walnut shell). Worx is handy on my service truck because as a powder it can't freeze in winter so remains useable. The Solopol I just recently mounted the dispenser in my laundry room so can start using it again. Both products leave your skin feeling good and don't strip out the skins natural oils.

Does anyone else recall using smelly Lustre Sheen a few times a day and then later on your solvent-reeking knuckles would crack open and bleed when making a fist?

If you get some ABS glue dropped onto your shirt don't try to wipe it off, instead try to leave the glue alone to set and peel it off easily once its dried fully. If you have a spare shirt in your vehicle or are at home then change and let the glue dry undisturbed. The same goes for glue spilled on a concrete or plywood floor. use drop cloths when working in areas with finished surfaces.

http://www.worx.ca/en/products/worx-...d-cleaner.html
Lustre Sheen .... boy there's a product from the past .
It had the strangest consistency/feel to it , ya , the smell was quite something as well.

What got me , was that it came in a smooth sided can ( black , I think ) , with a lid , that was just as smooth , with rounded over edges , so once you got some of the inside on the outside , it was very slippery , and difficult to open .

Wasn't there also a similar product around that time frame called " Goop "
Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 AM

Acetone is what I use - but I don't have to do it often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Totally! That brings back memories.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Default Sort of along the same lines..

I actually have a similar sort of question..we had a renovation done last year and when the guys replaced the furnace and hot water tank they spilled something all over an upturned ceiling tile that they were using for a drop sheet, and it spilled out of the tile and into the carpet. It was blood red in the yellow backing for the tile, but purple where it is in the carpet. But the stuff has never dried..and it is super sticky like honey. It is hard enough to wash off of my hands so needless to say we have had no success getting it out of the carpet. The contractor told us that he had withheld money from the plumber to get this resolved, but unfortunately, seeing a penny from him is just not going to happen. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Trevor.
Oh ya, the plumbers said that it was tree sap leaking out of the ceiling or molasses....shakes head...
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 PM

I've been plumbing residential homes for 25 years. The only thing that worked was pick it off in the shower! Now I don't touch anything without gloves. Just waiting for those years of exposure to cost me dearly. Just my 2 cents, plan ahead.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:53 PM

Whitlam makes a product called "Glue Wash" which softens and dissolves away ABS or PVC glue. It is however a little hard on the skin. My normal go to is a pumice stone in the shower.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 PM

another trick I use is to put surgical type gloves on after it dries, then do work...yes work...until you sweat the glue scab off the skin. now im not recommending that you actually do work, that eventually leads to death and sore muscles.
food for thought...

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31