Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
West you have it right on. 30 years bush trapping give you REAL life outlook on real wildlife situations. To many others have no clue what they are flapping thier gums about.
Enlighten me with your wisdom gained from 30 years in the bush. I’m no expert but I’ve had wolves kill 20 of my calves in a season and noticed a remarkable increase in the elk population when the wolves were shot and trapped out. If you’ve witnessed wolves and ungulates living in Disneyesque harmony, I’d like to hear about it.

Lots of you old guys that enjoyed great hunting in the 70’ and 80’s as a result of government poisoning campaigns think that it was all Mother Nature’s doing.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-13-2020, 05:26 PM

Deleted... it takes all kinds

Last edited by 6.5swedeforelk; 02-13-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Banned

I know how hard wolves are on game. Because I hunt them, Im constantly reminded of how easy they kill.

From this morning. And I didn’t kill a wolf...

Old 02-13-2020, 07:03 PM

It all boils down to man interfering with Mother nature. Screwing up her balance. Every time man thinks he can beat her he get's swatted sooner or later.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Enlighten me with your wisdom gained from 30 years in the bush. I’m no expert but I’ve had wolves kill 20 of my calves in a season and noticed a remarkable increase in the elk population when the wolves were shot and trapped out. If you’ve witnessed wolves and ungulates living in Disneyesque harmony, I’d like to hear about it.

Lots of you old guys that enjoyed great hunting in the 70’ and 80’s as a result of government poisoning campaigns think that it was all Mother Nature’s doing.
The wolf population has really increased in the past 5 years in the country west of Calgary. We never used to see them and now they are very common. Winter time tells the tale with their tracks and ravens locating their kills for you.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 AM

"Lots of you old guys that enjoyed great hunting in the 70’ and 80’s as a result of government poisoning campaigns think that it was all Mother Nature’s doing."

Well said NCC, wolf numbers were often managed this way back then with little interference from outside groups(unlike now). The increased hunting opportunities and success reflected that back then....
Old 02-14-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
What I find funny is so many people complain about to many wolves but wont do any thing unless they are paid. Do they get paid for shooting a deer, elk moose sheep etc
Yes, Most counties have some kind of bounty for them. As sportsman protecting our wildlife and getting out there, do some hunting and collect what bounties we have out there in Alberta.

Don't complain about wolves and complain that we don't get paid enough to control them. When did hunting become about getting over paid for being out there? There is some money out there for them now. Bounties, sell the wolf to a fur buyer. This will make enough for gas, beer a dinner at the local bar etc.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
Yes, Most counties have some kind of bounty for them. As sportsman protecting our wildlife and getting out there, do some hunting and collect what bounties we have out there in Alberta.

Don't complain about wolves and complain that we don't get paid enough to control them. When did hunting become about getting over paid for being out there? There is some money out there for them now. Bounties, sell the wolf to a fur buyer. This will make enough for gas, beer a dinner at the local bar etc.

Why are we now relying on bounties and citizens to manage wolves with very limited resources, legal methods?

Until recently, the government would take action to control wolf numbers, be it in a small localized area or on a Much larger scale.

It is obvious that the current "the hunters must do it" approach does not work.
The government needs to get back to real and proper wolf management.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Why are we now relying on bounties and citizens to manage wolves with very limited resources, legal methods?

Until recently, the government would take action to control wolf numbers, be it in a small localized area or on a Much larger scale.

It is obvious that the current "the hunters must do it" approach does not work.
The government needs to get back to real and proper wolf management.
Hunters must do it approach is not the thinking here. I just think it is ridiculous that the sportsman will only go out for them if they get a $1600 bounty and that is what the statement refers to as that is what people have said. If " the hunters" want to help, go help, spend some time in the bush, try to see how hard it is to shoot wolves and how much work they are. how many hunters in the past posts have complained about wolves? How many of those people have went out and hunted wolves? Is that not the sportsman part of it. Do I need to do it only of there is $1500 bounty? There are already options out there to make money as a sportsman if it is about the money. Which is not were we want sport to go. More wolves you get the more money you make. Not one for $1600 and done, Or becoming a job for people.
The gov has been culling wolves in the province for the past few years, Poison, using helicopters.
It is a shared responsibility.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
Hunters must do it approach is not the thinking here. I just think it is ridiculous that the sportsman will only go out for them if they get a $1600 bounty and that is what the statement refers to as that is what people have said. If " the hunters" want to help, go help, spend some time in the bush, try to see how hard it is to shoot wolves and how much work they are. how many hunters in the past posts have complained about wolves? How many of those people have went out and hunted wolves? Is that not the sportsman part of it. Do I need to do it only of there is $1500 bounty? There are already options out there to make money as a sportsman if it is about the money. Which is not were we want sport to go. More wolves you get the more money you make. Not one for $1600 and done, Or becoming a job for people.
The gov has been culling wolves in the province for the past few years, Poison, using helicopters.
It is a shared responsibility.
You made it tough to follow the bouncing ball...
I'll ricochet it back to you.

But it is about who must do it.... the government is no longer controlling wolf populations through lethal measures other than in emergency situations. They are passing the responsibility off to hunters so that they don't have to risk losing votes. Your example of gov. action only applies when the endangered species act threatens resource extraction. The only widespread action by the gov. is the starve the wolf campaign, Eliminate moose to starve wolves....

It is well known that wolves in Alberta cannot be managed by hunting. Why should we beat our heads against a rock? Trapping is the last currently legal method for civilians to have an impact on local populations, and the current trapping system/economics is not viable either.

Recent bounties are a measure taken by governments to pass the buck and responsibility, or by organizations in desperation due to lack of government action. It wasn't long ago that the WSF attempted to help control wolves. Well, the pro-wolf crowd got wind, cried to the government, and wow.... did the gov ever jump.... you would think that the WSF had the coronavirus.....
the gov. did everything they could to appear bloodless and nothing to help those attempting to effect some wolf control.

We have good reason to complain about there being too many wolves.
Until recently (1990s), the government investigated, and took lethal action when they recognized that wolves were impacting moose/elk/deer populations resulting in a hardship for humans to obtain this food source.

Now the government will not take action or spend the require funds to manage wolves (emergencies aside), but won't relax or mend the legal avenues for citizens to do it. The gov. has absolved themselves of this "shared responsibility" and restricts

Lets promote hunting wolves without and with a bounty.
Both are good in my mind.
BUT this will not solve the problem!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Default wolf

Only solution for good wolf control is rabies outbreak. It worked in 1950's and will work in 2020 when provincial government will finally take action. Regardless of Bambi types now in our society. However very hard on other fur bearing animals.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:53 PM

Parvo might thin them out if the wolves start interacting with dogs.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield303 View Post
It all boils down to man interfering with Mother nature. Screwing up her balance. Every time man thinks he can beat her he get's swatted sooner or later.
Mother Nature’s balance is few ungulates and few wolves. Why not manage it so we have few wolves and many ungulates?

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 AM

After major wolf control in the 50's we had so many moose in Alberta in 60's F & W had $20 moose license for Americans. There were American campers parked on almost every cutline, no guide required.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:10 PM

I got two wolves this year in January and got my cheque from the county of Opportunity, (Wabasca) in Feb. $200.00 per wolf and I keep the pelt. I had to register the wolves with the county rep and fill out the paper work. He took a 8mm plug out of the base of the left year of each. That stops the double dipping.
That all being said, I believe most hunters don't have the equipment and the time to go out for wolves when it is a very low success rate even when they are targeted. This is the first year I have gotten two, and only have three others and one was not while targeting them (moose hunting).

Unless you are a trapper, and you can snare them, here is your options, or at least what I do to give myself a chance.
1. You need to have a sled that can make many miles to cover country to find fresh track. Right now unless you have machine that can handle the power snow we have right now in northern Alberta, at slow speeds, your out of luck right there. I have a Ski-doo expedition. Remember, you are not following roads and trappers trails, but virgin cutlines and drainages. Oh, you need extra gas, a 100km or more day is not unusual.
2. Once you have a idea that the wolves are in an area, you need to either stay right till dark, or be there before legal light to call. That can easily be an hour or more once you park the truck.
3. WE've found the colder the better for success. Of the seven my son and I have gotten over the last five years, the temperatures have been minus 18 or colder, for six of them. So now you need all your survival gear incase something goes wrong. It's not an inconvenience like it is in a fall hunt where you can just hunker down for a night around a fire. Minus 20 and colder is not to be fooled with. I also hunt where cell service sucks. I have hand warmers and a plug in helmet to help on the long morning rides in the dark.
4. You have to have belief you can actually get one. With so little knowledge out there on how to call, what to call, when to call. It's a guessing game. We have only specifically called in two, the others were by just waiting over a kill that we stumbled on, or seeing them and then doing a stalk, and or ambush like on the last one I got this year.
I have a cabin that is in wolf country and getting out of bed on a cold winter morning takes a lot of determination. This wolf hunting is not for the faint of hart. Of all the hunters I know, my son and I are the only ones I know that target them. It's just too hard for most, or expensive, and the time it takes.
As much as I love the trophy deer, elk and sheep I have gotten over the years, a rifle hunted wolf is a very rare and worthy trophy. Why??? Because they are so darn hard to get. Maybe someone else has an easier way, but I'm still looking.
If I was a tech wiz young guy,I would add a picture or two. Sorry boys and girls.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:46 AM

Default wolf

Good post Barry, excellent explanation why wolves so hard to hunt. Also good advice on how to up your chance of success. Well done.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Mother Nature’s balance is few ungulates and few wolves. Why not manage it so we have few wolves and many ungulates?
Exactly
Old 02-18-2020, 08:45 PM

I got it to work, man that was almost as hard as wolf hunting. This was a large male that was all on his own on Jan 4th. It was the first time I spotted a wolf coming my way before he spotted me. I guess if you spend enough time in wolf country, you have to get lucky once in a life time. That won't stop me from still trying to use up some other guys luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (44.3 KB, 172 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:05 PM
Banned

Very nice Barry congrats!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:21 PM

Man, that’s a wolf and then some! Well done, Barry! Congrats!

I tired going for wolf a few times, no dice, even when I found some fresh tracks.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:13 PM

Thanks, I'm trying to smile, but those things are heavy and I'm not a spring chicken anymore.
If you just keep going out and spend more time sitting and howling once you find fresh track, that will give you a better chance than covering more country and not giving yourself an opportunity. Everyone has a story of the long shot at a moving wolf, and then the regret of a miss. Don't be that guy.
We've had our best success in late Dec and Jan, but that is also a busy time of year for alot of us. The wolves are targeting white tail bucks in our area, and push them onto lakes, sloughs, beaver ponds, and rivers. Very seldom will we find a spiker, it will usually be a three year old, or older. Then we don't have many deer that even make their third year. The most mature bucks that do most of the breading, pay the price with their life after a long rut.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:38 PM

Default Bounties are nice, but the idea to save the caribou is lost when the caribou are poached regularily

I'm in Yellowknife and the incentive program is the harvest of wolves that are smashing the bathurst barrenground caribou herd that are in their wintering zone near our diamond mines east and north of our 3 diamond mines.
There is still an outright bounty to bring the carcass in from any hunting zone within the NT, but the crazy prices are for 1 particular zone.
If you hold a GHL(general hunting license) aka a trappers license then you will get the full amount for the taxidermy quality boarded fur. Though chances of you getting your money now because the auctions are all done online and most people are only buying the cheaper quality furs from lack of physical inspection( a friend of mine is a trapper and has gotten quite a few wolves this year and makes the trip up the winter road to the mines, but it's mostly been his beaver fur taken at the past auction). Also the winter road is now closed, as there is no maintenance done by crews so if you get caught up and stuck in the sometimes 4 ft wide or more and up to 6 ft snow drifts, no one is coming to get you or it'll be at your cost to hire a crew to come get you and they charge by the hr for their equipment. That road can be nasty this time of year ( I've done ice profiling for a company on the tibbet-Contwoyto winter road and even in a Haaglund it's ****ty).

To add, I went up in april of 2017 and harvested a bull with 2 friends who also tagged out and we saw a ton of wasted meat as wanton waste. To clarify, NT resident hunters are only allowed 1 bull for barrenground and the majority of the waste piles were from multiples and up to dozens of animals. You can guess who has the rights to harvest that many animals...
It was just released by our Environment and Natural Resource division that 85+ caribou were harvested in the no-go zone for EVERYONE, including indigenous harvesters, an amount of wanton waste accumulated to 15 complete animals was found. Many local band councils from surrounding communities signed a moritorium to not hunt the BG caribou in those zones to help the population recover. Sadly this COVID-19 situation is turning many into the worst version of their hunter-selves and one Band Chief has been quoted in the media as saying that "You can't expect indigenous hunters to follow the rules( ones they agreed to, mind you) and not hunt in the protection zones, while they are out on the land, doing on the land isolation with their families". He basically gave an out for what is under any other situation called poaching. And we've had a problem with locals on many social media and local buy/sell/trade websites selling what they refer to as 'Dry-meat' for up to $60-80 per large size ziplock bag. Essentially a black market meat sale attempting to be disguised as ' traditional food'. As it stands, even for indigenous hunters, in the hunting regs, it states that one can gift portions of wild game up to 5 lbs to any one person in one 'gift' with no fines or penalty, and monetary gain from wild game meat sales in the NT is illegal.

Basically our finite resource is being treated like ****ing toilet paper and it makes me sick, especially being of Native American heritage and being brought up with the idea of conservation and stewardship in mind when hunting or being in the bush.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:28 PM

Isnt it amazing how money can get lazy people active. These same people have the right to hunt wolves now but cant be bothered cause it will cost bthem a buck
Old 04-14-2020, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
I got two wolves this year in January and got my cheque from the county of Opportunity, (Wabasca) in Feb. $200.00 per wolf and I keep the pelt. I had to register the wolves with the county rep and fill out the paper work. He took a 8mm plug out of the base of the left year of each. That stops the double dipping.
That all being said, I believe most hunters don't have the equipment and the time to go out for wolves when it is a very low success rate even when they are targeted. This is the first year I have gotten two, and only have three others and one was not while targeting them (moose hunting).

Unless you are a trapper, and you can snare them, here is your options, or at least what I do to give myself a chance.
1. You need to have a sled that can make many miles to cover country to find fresh track. Right now unless you have machine that can handle the power snow we have right now in northern Alberta, at slow speeds, your out of luck right there. I have a Ski-doo expedition. Remember, you are not following roads and trappers trails, but virgin cutlines and drainages. Oh, you need extra gas, a 100km or more day is not unusual.
2. Once you have a idea that the wolves are in an area, you need to either stay right till dark, or be there before legal light to call. That can easily be an hour or more once you park the truck.
3. WE've found the colder the better for success. Of the seven my son and I have gotten over the last five years, the temperatures have been minus 18 or colder, for six of them. So now you need all your survival gear incase something goes wrong. It's not an inconvenience like it is in a fall hunt where you can just hunker down for a night around a fire. Minus 20 and colder is not to be fooled with. I also hunt where cell service sucks. I have hand warmers and a plug in helmet to help on the long morning rides in the dark.
4. You have to have belief you can actually get one. With so little knowledge out there on how to call, what to call, when to call. It's a guessing game. We have only specifically called in two, the others were by just waiting over a kill that we stumbled on, or seeing them and then doing a stalk, and or ambush like on the last one I got this year.
I have a cabin that is in wolf country and getting out of bed on a cold winter morning takes a lot of determination. This wolf hunting is not for the faint of hart. Of all the hunters I know, my son and I are the only ones I know that target them. It's just too hard for most, or expensive, and the time it takes.
As much as I love the trophy deer, elk and sheep I have gotten over the years, a rifle hunted wolf is a very rare and worthy trophy. Why??? Because they are so darn hard to get. Maybe someone else has an easier way, but I'm still looking.
If I was a tech wiz young guy,I would add a picture or two. Sorry boys and girls.
Awesome post, this is something i'll be doing more of, the boys are just getting into the age range. Agree completely, have called one in while targeting them, he bested me. Have howled them in once at night while in camp, pack surrounded us in the timber. Howled another one in recently in k-country on a drive up hwy 40 by the gas station, came to 150 yards before catching my wind, no gun, in the park, was just out for a drive but heard howling when i stopped and cracked a window. Will eventually target them harder like you, the reward is a driver for me, done the big deer thing, sheep etc. also.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:03 PM

Yes the Alberta goverment should do this like the NWT did in remote access areas that normally don’t see a lot of hunters.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The wolf population has really increased in the past 5 years in the country west of Calgary. We never used to see them and now they are very common. Winter time tells the tale with their tracks and ravens locating their kills for you.
100% correct, all over hwy 40 and back in 406
Old 04-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Well said Barry D. I have called and killed them twice while taking a break from shooting coyote control in MT. They were shot in Idaho. I find the most success in howling during the spring mating season. It only works if you are in tight on them and have a very good knowledge of the terrain.
In MN we had two wolf seasons 6-7 years ago before the anti's shut it down. By draw license hunters hit the woods first and the success was poor. Once the trappers were allowed to start a few weeks later the quota was reached quickly.
In winter a good bait or "jackpot" as a fellow I know calls them properly placed and hung with cable will do the best job at taking wolves.
We had a very good moose and deer population here where I am until the wolves expanded unchecked. It's incredible the destruction wolves can do to the ungulates.
Good luck up there and be ready, when it starts going your way against the wolves, the natives and anti's will then become a worse enemy to your effort.

Osky
Old 11-12-2022, 07:40 AM

Where would you fly into?
Old 11-12-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
The NWT program only sounds good, $900 for the non-native, and the wolves have to be taken in specific area accessible only by the ice road to the mines and there are check-ins as you enter the area. Overhead costs to do this don't leave much for profit. I've looked at flying in to remote areas with gear to hunt for a month but the bottom line is that I'd need 40 wolves to cover the overhead, .......aircraft aren't cheap!

Where would you fly into on the barren lands.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Deer and moose are food.
Lots of folks don't have the $ to hunt wolves but with a bounty, it's more doable.
Due to wolves being who they are, can be a lot more difficult and time consuming.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8