Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 09:39 PM

Default Pierre Grey Lakes and area

Heading up to do some tent camping the third week of July. Never been there before, going to try some fishing while I am there. I've read Brook's and Rainbow's are stocked in a couple of lakes.

I don't have a boat. Is it a waste of time trying to fish without a boat on these lakes or can you fish from shore/wet wading?

Any other suggestions within an 30 min drive?

TBH- I am very new to fly fishing, could just be happy practicing casting.

cheers.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:36 PM

It has been a number of years since up that way but if memory serves there are a few spots to fish from shore at one of the rainbow lakes.

We had no luck on Brookie lake with pontoon boats but it was also 30 degrees for the four days we were there and a few locals said it got hit pretty hard from ice fishing.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as things may have drastically changed with rainfall, time and other factors.

I do recall it was a pretty spot to camp ( again that may have changed with time, etc.) and there are a few rivers within reasonable driving distance if you're willing to do some walking to find a few fish.

Muskeg and Wildhay would be the closest I think( could be others) but don't quote me on that.

Probably best to get advice from someone that has been there recently and knows the area much better than I.

You could also try calling a CO from up there for a report.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:48 AM

You should be able to catch fish off the docks at the two larger lakes (brookie lake, and the lake with the large island w/ bridge). The first lake is too shallow at the launch, and the lake bottom is very soft and mucky.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM

thanks

We've rented a canoe since my original post. That should open up some other options for fishing. Hopefully explore all the lakes now.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 PM

fished those lakes a lot. usually end up there every other year for a week.
having a canoe is a big plus. very tough fly fishing from shore as heavily treed shore with few open areas to cast. Moberley Lake has brookies can be very hit and miss as too catching them but can get into some bigger ones with some patience. Desjarlais Lake has the island and rainbows. fished the hardest so expect a lot of stockers with the odd larger one. McDonald lake is the one they are trying to turn into a trophy lake with a size limit in place. sees the least pressure as you have to walk down to the lake with your gear and boat. rumoured to have bulls in it from the flooding, but can't confirm.
also lots of streams to explore along the hiway. Muskeg is a good one to try just have to walk a bit from the access point to get into some good holes. can be tough to walk and wade if water is hi though. alos headwaters to Little Smoky is in that area and if the grayling are present can be very fun.
beautiful country all along that hiway, just watch out for Grizzs as we always see one or two on dive there.
good luck
Mike
Old 07-11-2020, 06:00 PM

this is earlier than your trip but we did well with over 20 Brook Trout most in that 2# range ... the Brown was 25 inches ... got a 24inch the year before ... wooly buggers work for us both brown n black .. most were on the right side of lake just a it comes up ... u really need a fish finder for trolling ... for still water fishing where the fish are rising worked for us .. Moberly lake #2

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347168

good luck

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0921.jpg (68.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0925.jpg (60.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 PM

10 years ago I went to the Mason Creek day use area of Muskeg river just on the north side of HWY 40 between Grande Cache and Pierre Grey lakes. I explored a couple hundred yards downstream and didn't catch much until I moved to a faster riffle and then good sized brookies were constant on spinners. I imagine flies would have been great too. It was the faster riffles where the brookies liked.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets