Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Buying Flies During the Pandemic

Hey everyone,

Wondering where you are buying flies these. I was going to Cabela's, but their inventory has been decimated. I know Bow River Troutfitters is offering online sales, but I am not interested in their online options. I see Fish Tales is opening on May 19, 2020, but I need some flies for this long weekend!

Let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:43 PM

reelflies.ca has been my go to for a couple years.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 PM

Give one of the shops a call, I'm sure they'd help you get a variety of flies picked out over the phone above and beyond what they have online.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:29 PM

https://trickflies.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Iron bow fly shop. Great selection and they are doing curb side service.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
https://trickflies.ca

I'm with Jason, Trickflies.ca is the ONLY place I buy flies and a lot of my gear too.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedubius View Post
I'm with Jason, Trickflies.ca is the ONLY place I buy flies and a lot of my gear too.

Yes, only place I have bought my flies for the last 3 years. Craig is a great guy.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:23 AM

Most recently I've purchased flies from Big Y Fly company out of the States and also from the Fly Anglers warehouse in BC . The fishn' hole has good selection and Icky Flyworks looks like it has good deals as well .
Old 05-15-2020, 05:26 AM

I think it called icky flies online $1.00 a fly.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:55 AM

The Fishin' Hole is open, i bought some flies earlier this week at their store in Calgary. There selection isn't as good as some of the dedicated fly shops, but they've always had more to choose from than Cabela's does.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleisle View Post
I was going to Cabela's, but their inventory has been decimated.
I haven't bought any flies lately. I too, used to go to Cabelas. I had the opportunity to buy in the US when I was working there or in Canada. Don't know what's going on. They hardly sell individual flies anymore, just 'assorted bunches'. cabelas.ca, hardly anything there as you said. cabelas.com, no better. I thought maybe they were moving everything to basspro. Had a look there and it isn't much better. For whatever reason, it sure doesn't seem to be the company's focus. Just an observation. Thankfully, lots of other places to buy flies.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:21 AM

go buy flies from Reids fly shop or fishing hole. Cabelas selection and quality is not good. Especially for the price they are selling for.

Another option is to buy all the components and start tying! Its a deep dark rabbit hole but nothing beats catching great fish on flies you have created.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
go buy flies from Reids fly shop or fishing hole. Cabelas selection and quality is not good. Especially for the price they are selling for.

Another option is to buy all the components and start tying! Its a deep dark rabbit hole but nothing beats catching great fish on flies you have created.
What makes you say that the flies from Cabelas are not good quality? the ones from the bin or the pre-packaged ones?
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 AM

primarily cheap hooks. I have had hooks that have bent out on larger fish. Which is a crappy feeling when we has fly fisherman spend all this money to catch these fish and then have sub par hook cost you. This was the bin flies
Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Josh has just opened his store O.F.F
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgdEAE&adurl=
Old 05-15-2020, 02:38 PM

Default Flies

I have been tying all winter, if your interested I can help you out. Text 4038283292 if interested
Old 05-21-2020, 05:11 PM

Default Buyer beware

Just got an order in from one of the recommended fly shops above and low and behold all I got was a packing receipt 2 business cards and a couple of Jolly Ranchers . Not cool , going to fire off an email and hopefully things are made right .
Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Banned

I ordered from both Reel Flies and Trick Flies, about a week apart, Trickflies should have shipped either Monday or Tuesday. Reel Flies should have shipped mid to late last week.
I did screw up with Reel Flies though. It asked for my postal code for a shipping estimate and gave me a funny name for curbside pickup but it sounded right so I picked that option, only later realizing they are in Ontario. I sent an email right away asking them to ship them, free shipping anyway. I never got a confirmation email back to that but did get an order shipped notification. I was hoping to see the Reel Flies order already and hoping to see the Trick Flies order tomorrow.
Trick Flies communication was really good. Website stock wasn’t quite right and I got an email from him very quickly asking if he could substitute with a different size, which was dealt with very easily and packaged and shipping notice within 20 minutes of our emails.

I will be learning to tie very soon I hope, but I think I will still continue to use one of these retailers, if not both for the flies that will be out of my realm for the future.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 PM

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/TroutClapperFlyCo

Local one man show 👌

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-22-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Just got an order in from one of the recommended fly shops above and low and behold all I got was a packing receipt 2 business cards and a couple of Jolly Ranchers . Not cool , going to fire off an email and hopefully things are made right .
Got a reply from my email , all is good .
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I checked that site out , those flies are pricey .
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Why not support our sponsors...I've been buying from icky flyworks for six years and have no complaints whatsoever..good flies, great service...what more do you need?
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Bought some for the first time from Trickflies. Decent quality,priced right and prompt service.
Ill continue purchasing from Craig right here in Edmonton. Supporting the local guy is good.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Why not support our sponsors...I've been buying from icky flyworks for six years and have no complaints whatsoever..good flies, great service...what more do you need?
Same here they are my first choice.

Unfortunately it seems that their website shows down for vacation until Sept 2019. I'm assuming the date is incorrect and that they really are on vacation but I'm hoping nothing worse has happened. It's been like that for the past three weeks or so.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I checked that site out , those flies are pricey .
Pure quality
Also It is sold in packs of 3 i believe.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Pure quality
Also It is sold in packs of 3 i believe.
Quality they may be but even in packs of 3 they're averaging $3 - $4 per fly, just looking at his nymphs. Most other online tiers aren't much more than $1 each for similar nymphs.

The only difference I can see is the expensive ones look like they're tied on jig heads. Not sure that's worth pay 2 or 3 times the cost of a regular bead head fly pattern.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Default Icky is good when they're good!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
I think Icky is great too...but they have had some issues with popular flies and sizes out of stock. I know that's a normal thing, maybe just a run of bad luck on me...haven't had any success the last 3 times I've tried...

When I have had good luck with them, I have been quite pleased with quality and service.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Same here they are my first choice.

Unfortunately it seems that their website shows down for vacation until Sept 2019. I'm assuming the date is incorrect and that they really are on vacation but I'm hoping nothing worse has happened. It's been like that for the past three weeks or so.
If you click on the banner add in the forum it takes you to that message. Try this one. All seems well for me.
https://www.ickyflyworks.com/?product_cat=all-flies

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 PM

All of these posts make me glad I tie my own, maybe about $0.50 for a chironomid and under $1 for a balanced leech. And, I don't have to wait for delivery. Of course that doesn't cover the amortization for a high end vise, but hey, what else ya gonna do in the winter months?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Default Flies selection

I just got gifted the mother Lode of good quality fishing gear from early 60's to early 70's this fella knew some excellent tiers and has a pile to choose from. I live in Edmonton, happy to meet an avid fly fisher if some one is interested in some of these flies, thanks

FS