Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Bow River

I was out today it was really nice out. I'm really intimidated by the big water being a small stream guy. I just can't figure it out.

Is there anyone out there willing to meet up with me later this week and help me get an idea how to fish the Bow.

It's supposed to be really nice later this week.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Banned

Low and slow. Find a deep hole or two, go deep, go slow. Maggot on the end will help.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 PM

JoeandSally is correct about slow deeper and get it down.
JoeandSally is wrong about maggots. First this is the fly fishing section, second you can't use maggots this time of year.

Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir*(including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).
*CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
*June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir*(includes 500 m of the Highwood River and*the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year.
*Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:18 PM

take a lot of boots on the ground and fly in the water to learn the bow.

in the winter you'll usually find fish in deeper holes, fish small heavy nymphs.
Also, just cause it's a big river doesn't mean they're in the middle, work the water closest to you first (if it's fishy water).

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Doesn't sound like anyone wants to meet up with you...I would, but I'm in northern Alberta...
Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM

I don't fly fish in the winter much, or I would meet up with you. My best advice is to charter a drift boat. That will give you the lessons for fishing the bow, it's can be a tough slog, especially now after the flood.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it another try on Wednesday if it works out.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Heard best during this season is during the warmest hours of the day, I assume this is correct? First winter fly fishin'.........
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM

DON'T HIRE A DRIFT BOAT GUIDE.
This time of year the fish are pooled up in wintering holes and drifting will not give you the time you need to effectively fish each hole. During the winter the best bet is to wade and walk, many guides will do that for you.
I won't be fishing much on the Bow during the winters so I can't meet up with you.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Hiring a guide will teach you more in a 4 hour float than you will ever learn online. Not to mention, they will take you to the spot that hold fish. Not sure what kind of guides Jayhad has fished with, but ALL of the outfits I have fished with, we have done plenty of walking and wading. Many of the spots while walking and wading are accessed best from a boat, such as island seams and tail outs.

If you split it with a friend, you will have a great day and learn a lot, for a reasonable price.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:46 AM

I would brush up on some research and DIY the Bow for the winter months. Book a guide now for a day in June/July and get into those stoneflies.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Hiring a guide will teach you more in a 4 hour float than you will ever learn online. Not to mention, they will take you to the spot that hold fish. Not sure what kind of guides Jayhad has fished with, but ALL of the outfits I have fished with, we have done plenty of walking and wading. Many of the spots while walking and wading are accessed best from a boat, such as island seams and tail outs.

If you split it with a friend, you will have a great day and learn a lot, for a reasonable price.
Well jayhad is a former guide. On both the lower and upper bow river sections. He knows his stuff more then most of you.

Floating this time of year is a total waste of time. In some stretches, you can have 5km worth of summertime trout, pooled into about a 1km stretch sometimes less of river. Its just how it works, the fish conserve their energy and sit in the deepest pools, why would you float a 14-21km stretch of river when all the trout could be 4km of it? Once you've found a wintering pool especially now post flood, remember it, there will be fish in it all winter long.

For example, you will not find fish in shallower tailouts, or mid depth island seams. You're looking for 8-14' deep pools. Usually they are loaded with trout.

Book a guiding service, ask for a walk and wade winter lesson. Take in everything you can. You'll be surprised just how much walking you'll be doing versus, lengthening leaders, and fishing every inch of wintering pools effectively before moving on.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Well jayhad is a former guide. On both the lower and upper bow river sections. He knows his stuff more then most of you.

Floating this time of year is a total waste of time. In some stretches, you can have 5km worth of summertime trout, pooled into about a 1km stretch sometimes less of river. Its just how it works, the fish conserve their energy and sit in the deepest pools, why would you float a 14-21km stretch of river when all the trout could be 4km of it? Once you've found a wintering pool especially now post flood, remember it, there will be fish in it all winter long.

For example, you will not find fish in shallower tailouts, or mid depth island seams. You're looking for 8-14' deep pools. Usually they are loaded with trout.

Book a guiding service, ask for a walk and wade winter lesson. Take in everything you can. You'll be surprised just how much walking you'll be doing versus, lengthening leaders, and fishing every inch of wintering pools effectively before moving on.
very true, however one question from me is if a far a cast is necessary to reach the deep pools or most are closer to shore?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 PM

I used to fish a pool that was 3' from shore in the winter.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
JoeandSally is correct about slow deeper and get it down.
JoeandSally is wrong about maggots. First this is the fly fishing section, second you can't use maggots this time of year.
What's wrong with tying your own maggots? I think that was what he was talking about…
Here is one of my early prototypes from a while back…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4dbcc0e28ac011e2896422000a1fb003_6.jpg (9.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
very true, however one question from me is if a far a cast is necessary to reach the deep pools or most are closer to shore?
In the summer most people wade where the fish are.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations