Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Bear Hunting in Southern AB

I am new to this site and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out. I moved to Lethbridge last year to go to the college. I would like to go bear hunting somewhere kind of close. Me and a couple friends were out near lynx creek and allison creek but didn't see any bears or much sign(one set of old tracks). I would welcome any suggestions on where to go. Also does spot and stalk work or would I be better off setting up a bait next year?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM

You might want to try looking at some of the canyons behind the Pecton Shell plant. North and south Drywood, Pincher, Buther, Yarrow, Mill and a few more i can't spell Park at the locked gates and go for a walk and look at the south faceing slopes.. Good luck.... If you are looking for some one to show you the area let me know, I might be able to help you out... Oh ya, welcome to the site...
Jim
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM

By the way, you can't bait down south....
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Good advice EH1234 Dutch creek area is good and also the Porcupine hills west of Fort Macleod
Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I might try head out on thursday if my friends vehicle is fixed. On the weekend when we were out the transmission sprung a leak and we almost didn't make it out of the hills. Luckily we weren't very far from Blairmore and could coast most of the way back to town. Good to know about the no baiting you would think the guy in Conservation Enforcement at the college should know about that haha.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

up the Atlas road west of Coleman. I do not know how far the road is open past the snowmobile parking area. As there are lots of grizzlys in the pass area keep your eyes open. If I was going looking for a grizzly to take pictures of I would go up the Atlas Road and try the trail at the back of Crowsnest Mountain. Also on the ridges across from the seven sisters below the Allison range.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Default Bears in Crowsnest

Lots of them around, Up the Adanac there are lots. Your best bet would be to call the the guys at fish and wildlife in Blairmore. 403-562-3289.
They are always dealing with problem bears and they would be your best bet for starters. Real good guys with just the knowledge you are looking for.
Might even find one of those M.D. Phase bears with the orange spots on their fur. If you want one of those forget the south facing slopes. Favorite habitat for them are those real short above ground culverts.

Tags
bear, hunting, southern ab