Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 07:56 AM

Default Mega Live - Video finally released.

Humminbird’s Mega Live has been talked about since last fall with no video or pictures really released for a long time. That led to speculation around what it would be, how good it would be, etc. They finally released a video today that shows it in action. Looks to be every bit as good as Garmin and Lowrance, without the need for a seperate powered processing box. It also is compatible with Helix 8 and up G3N and G4N units that are MDI or MSI. Pretty sweet that they didn’t just make it G4N MSI units to make everyone have to buy new sonars...

https://youtu.be/Yx7maUPiDD8

I know a bunch of shops have units on preorder. Hopefully they start showing up soon!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-09-2021, 09:11 AM

Damn!! would look nice on my kayak

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-09-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Looks to be every bit as good as Garmin and Lowrance, without the need for a seperate powered processing box.
I wouldn't get too excited about promo videos from the manufacturer. Lowrance's early videos looked great, but then they had stitching issues in the real world. Time will tell.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:37 AM

Lol. I just got a minute into that video and if you think that looks anything like Garmin and Lowrance you definitely have a huge sponsorship commitment with Humminbird or you're trying to secure one. I'm just gonna flat out say it...MEGA Live sucks. Wow. I can't believe it took them that long to come out with that garbage.

Also, I had to giggle at their claim to have the best units for mapping at 2:02. Simply not true. Lowrance wins hands down.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:56 AM

Slowly removing the "sport" out of the pursuit.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:14 PM

Pretty cool. Im a lowrance guy mostly, and i hate to say it but Garmin has more or less had this for at least a year.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:22 PM

I scrolled down the comments section below that video and couldn't find a single positive comment. HB fanbois be like
Old 06-09-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Lol. I just got a minute into that video and if you think that looks anything like Garmin and Lowrance you definitely have a huge sponsorship commitment with Humminbird or you're trying to secure one. I'm just gonna flat out say it...MEGA Live sucks. Wow. I can't believe it took them that long to come out with that garbage.

Also, I had to giggle at their claim to have the best units for mapping at 2:02. Simply not true. Lowrance wins hands down.
Not sponsored by Bird. I like that it doesn't require the "black box" that Garmin and Lowrance use to process the images. One less thing to suck power in my boat and also easier to use on the ice or on a kayak. I also like that it's compatible with the Helix 8 G3N MDI and up. Usually a new technology requires the latest and greatest in head units, costing more to the consumer.

The two things that I would like more detail on are the width of the beam and the effective range. Looking at the images, I suspect the beam is wider than the Lowrance or Garmin. That makes it cut a broader path without needing to be as direct with pointing, but it does cut down on the resolution. High frequencies also have a tendency to have less range, so I'm wondering if that is the case here as well.

WRT mapping, I think we have to disagree there. Throw Lakemaster into the mix (for anywhere but Western Canada) and Humminbird is every bit the equal if not better than the others.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-09-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Not sponsored by Bird. I like that it doesn't require the "black box" that Garmin and Lowrance use to process the images. One less thing to suck power in my boat and also easier to use on the ice or on a kayak.
The black box isn't the limiting issue for portability. It's the transducer and incredibly thick cable that's the problem. At any rate, HB looks like they need something to help the MFDs generate a decent live image because their current effort is severely lacking.

Quote:
I also like that it's compatible with the Helix 8 G3N MDI and up. Usually a new technology requires the latest and greatest in head units, costing more to the consumer.
No argument there. The constant industry churning of customers' wallets by springing new tech on them with no warning sucks.

Quote:
The two things that I would like more detail on are the width of the beam and the effective range. Looking at the images, I suspect the beam is wider than the Lowrance or Garmin. That makes it cut a broader path without needing to be as direct with pointing, but it does cut down on the resolution.
If I want to cut a broader path and get a general idea what's around me, I'll drop a MEGA 360 transducer and be done with it.

Quote:
High frequencies also have a tendency to have less range, so I'm wondering if that is the case here as well.
They also have a tendency to provide greater detail, so highly unlikely based on the horrible image quality.

Quote:
WRT mapping, I think we have to disagree there. Throw Lakemaster into the mix (for anywhere but Western Canada) and Humminbird is every bit the equal if not better than the others.
If they want to say they have the best maps, maybe. Who knows? They all suck out here. "Mapping" to me is the ability to make your own maps. In that area Lowrance excels. And we won't even go into HB's waypoint/track/route management woes over the years.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not sponsored by Bird. I like that it doesn't require the "black box" that Garmin and Lowrance use to process the images. One less thing to suck power in my boat and also easier to use on the ice or on a kayak. I also like that it's compatible with the Helix 8 G3N MDI and up. Usually a new technology requires the latest and greatest in head units, costing more to the consumer.

The two things that I would like more detail on are the width of the beam and the effective range. Looking at the images, I suspect the beam is wider than the Lowrance or Garmin. That makes it cut a broader path without needing to be as direct with pointing, but it does cut down on the resolution. High frequencies also have a tendency to have less range, so I'm wondering if that is the case here as well.

SS

Fair assessment keep us updated on your pro’s and con’s.....a video by the manufacturer tends to enhance the product

Now back to my little helix 7

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-10-2021, 09:33 AM

By the video you can't really tell bait fish from the bass. The image is the same size and shape. With garmin and lowrance you can make out the type of fish size and mood. I think bird has a long way to go befor they catch up.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:00 AM

By the video you can't really tell bait fish from the bass. The image is the same size and shape. With garmin and lowrance you can make out the type of fish size and mood. I think bird has a long way to go befor they catch up.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:02 PM

I've learned not to be an early adopter of stuff like this so Ill revisit this about a year after its actually released.

But this video is very underwhelming.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
And they also show male or female, and what its wearing too. Haha ...not making fun, just goofing around.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
And they also show male or female, and what its wearing too. Haha ...not making fun, just goofing around.
Nope I like the hoofing arround. But if go watch this video of garming vs lowrance you will see which one is more superior.

https://youtu.be/HHdmpWEIRZk

Gbuss