Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Savage 10FP or Stevens 200

I am looking to buy a rifle to use for long range target shooting and possibly a little hunting. I have narrowed it down to the Savage 10FP w/ accutrigger (little over $800) or the Stevens 200 (around $300 cheaper), both in .308. Is the more expensive Savage worth it, or should I get the Stevens, and spend more money on optics and possibly a little gunsmithing (trigger, stock). I have heard good things about both rifles.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 PM

I was going to get a 10FP but there weren't any available and especially at last years prices. I snagged a 12FV .308 (last one by the way) from WSS Edmonton. And at last years prices too.
Check with Russel Sports in Calgary, the last email they sent was that they had 3 12FVs in .308 left at old prices.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 AM

I never knew the 12FV was offered in .308. I just checked the website and it says .223, 22-250, .204. Although, if it is offered in .308, it is a definite option.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Gone Hunting

I don't own a Savage but I do own a Stevens 200. With some trigger work its a great shooter, throw in the price factor and I don't see how you can beat it.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
I don't own a Savage but I do own a Stevens 200. With some trigger work its a great shooter, throw in the price factor and I don't see how you can beat it.
X2. The 200 is called a cheapo, a bargain gun, a beginner's choice, a POS, ad nauseum. Don't you believe it. They're light and a great little rifle, particularly in the short action. My 7-08 is my #1 pack around in the truck gun. It needed a trigger and a Rifle Basix fixed that very nicely, thank you. Direct ordered from RB it was here in no time, hassle-free. Sure, the stock's a bit flimsy, but who cares? If I wanted a showpiece I'd have bought a Cooper or a Kimber or something like them. I have enough rifles that are too pretty to hunt with so the 200 is great. Another terrific choice might be the Marlin XL7. I'm no Savage fan, but I'll sure give them credit for the Stevens 200. I paid $200 bucks for mine last year, unfired!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Good luck finding a Stevens under $400 now. I was at the Calgary show today and saw 1 Stevens the whole day...$460
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM

The gun show isn't the best indication though. They had a regular, run of the mill, russian m44 with nothing special about it for $400. These usually sell for $150...

I got my Stevens for $350, and with a bit of tinkering, you can turn them into quite the rigs. Here's my Stevens 25-06 after a bit of playing:

Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansol View Post
The gun show isn't the best indication though. They had a regular, run of the mill, russian m44 with nothing special about it for $400. These usually sell for $150...

I got my Stevens for $350, and with a bit of tinkering, you can turn them into quite the rigs. Here's my Stevens 25-06 after a bit of playing:

Where'd you get the stock? Looks like a nice cutdown of a military? Stocks to fit the 4.40" screw spacing on the later 200's are damned near impossible to find...
Old 04-11-2009, 11:00 AM

I actually made it. I had a stock blank kicking around that was supposed to be inletted for my 375 Taylor, and instead they shipped me one for a 88 mauser... Long story short, I got out my carving tools, and inletted the wood to fit the long action Stevens. I think it turned out pretty well, the inletting and wenge end-cap worked, although the wood grain running through the stock is pretty plain. I still think it looks much better than the factory tupperware thing.

So it goes to show you go do a lot of "upgrading" to a Stevens. Their action is the same ones used for the entire Savage lineup, so it makes for a good starting platform for a custom job.

Tags
hunting, rifle, savage, stevens, target