Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 AM

Default Underwater Cameras

Question for the forum on using underwater cameras for fishing.

Are cameras only of any use during hard water season, when the water is clear? Does anyone use their camera during soft water season, and if so, how are you using it? (e.g., checking structure, weeds, presence of fish, or watching your jig).

I recently picked up an Aqua Vu Micro Plus and tried it out on Sylvan last weekend and I can't say I was too impressed. The device ran me about $500. The screen is quite small, glare is pretty bad and actual visibility/resolution felt years behind current cameras found in cell phones and point and shoots. But I'm wondering if the issue is just the user rather than the gear itself.

I'll probably give it another shot and see how it goes, but it seems like it won't be very useful until ice fishing season.

Cable length: Is it worth getting cable longer than 50 ft? The only times I can see this paying off is if you're fishing in crystal clear lakes in winter, such as Spray, where the lakers are often around 80 to 100 ft of water.

And if anyone has recommendations on cameras, let me know. It seems difficult to find more than a couple of reviews on most underwater cameras.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM

I have a larger marcum camera and recently picked up a aqua vu micro 2 as well.

I will try my aqua vu a couple times this summer just using it to check for structure, bottom type etc. Maybe try and confirm what species of fish I am seeing on fish finder. Other then that they are much to difficult to use in the summer since there is no way to have it hold still enough.

I used it once already and I too was disappointed in the screen glare, I had to hold it under my jacket to be able to read it, hope it isn't that bad when it comes to winter time as well although I will primarily just be using it to check structure etc and only will use it as a permanent camera to watch fish on hike in lakes where I don't want to lug in my bigger camera. I was happy enough with the resolution etc on mine, its not HD but I also know that waterproof cameras and lenses will never be as high a quality as say an iphone. The technology used is very different.

As for using your camera in deeper then 50 fow I am guessing they won't work due to the lack of light. You could try fishing with it in the dark first to see if it actually works, if it works in pitch dark then it will work in 80-100 fow but otherwise it won't. A flasher is the way to go for lakers.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll definitely be using one for hard water season, especially in very shallow water where sonar/flasher is basically useless.

Now I'm conflicted though. Jet, I think you have a bigger screen than me. I think. It could just look larger in the photos. My screen is only 3.5 inches. It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Vu-AVMIC.../dp/B00A2VB30S

Either way I think my best bet is to return this unit and upgrade to a unit with a larger screen and more cable.

Is there a hands down winner in regards to underwater cameras? They all seem to use the same extremely tiny image sensor, so it looks like the only thing that changes is cord length, and screen size/resolution.

Anyways, this one seems like the best option so far: http://www.aquavu.com/Products/Aqua-...ras/AV-Micro-5

This could be good but there are no specs on image sensor size or cord length: http://www.aquavu.com/Products/Aqua-...ras/AV-HD700-i
Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 PM

The Micro 5 would have a larger screen but then it also isn't as portable either. My Micro ii has the 3.5 in screen and it is already big enough for going in my pocket etc.

For the larger cameras Marcum cameras are usually more highly regarded. I use a Marcum 625 and know others with Marcum 385 and Marcum 825 and all are good cameras. I haven't used a larger aqua vu myself but have seen other comments that leads me to believe they aren't as good as a Marcum. Aqua vu definitely has the market on these hand held units though.

I don't see the use of a longer cable myself, usually after 30 feet a camera is of little use. Maybe good to 40 in a nice clear lake on a sunny day. I haven't tried my aqua vu in deeper water yet though to know how it does.

As far as the micros are concerned the one thing I wish mine had was the recording option. It would be nice but I got mine used on trade so can't complain. Also mine doesn't have a cover which would be nice to reduce glare.

What camera will work best for you depends on your situation. If you want something to sit and watch while ice fishing look into a large screen marcum. If you want something to hole hop, check out structure, fit in your pocket stay with an aqua vu micro(maybe just change models if you feel the need). Both have their place and that is why I now own both.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
For the larger cameras Marcum cameras are usually more highly regarded. I use a Marcum 625 and know others with Marcum 385 and Marcum 825 and all are good cameras. I haven't used a larger aqua vu myself but have seen other comments that leads me to believe they aren't as good as a Marcum.
Yea, I think you're spot on. The Marcum has a much bigger sensor size, so that right there tells me image quality, and low light image quality, will be better.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM

I use my Marcum at Crawling all the time.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 AM

I have wondered about this myself.

I was thinking of taping my camera onto a retractable painter's pole so I can drop it down and pan around to see what's down there.

I'm thinking, at least that way, it wouldn't be swinging around so much and I could still get down 12-15 feet to see what's there.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM

If you really want to use a camera in summer your best bet that I can think of is to build some sort of base that the camera sit on and can rest on the bottom. Then you could just drop it down while anchored and leave some loose cable and it should sit still down there. Take a little bit messing around to point it the right way but once set up would be good.

I never sit still enough in summer for a camera to be of use to me other then to check structure etc though.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 AM

The suns rays definitely affect the picture quality in the summer...vs hardwater. I use a marcum 825 and have rigged it up on the lund track system with the panner. I use it mainly for still fishing to see what structure and species is there. I am waiting for the adapter video cable to come in to be able to connect the camera to my hds-7. The screen is much brighter on the HDS so i'm hoping that it will be more visible on the sunny days.

The lakes I fish in Northern Alberta are not very clear, so 50' of cable is plenty.

Good luck with your decisions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.JPG (182.2 KB, 25 views)