Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2021, 09:14 AM

Default Hunting in Old Mexico

I have never been a big fan of our cold winters so once upon a time I flew down to Mazatland in Old Mexico for a week or so. The chartered plane was full of similar folk as I and I mostly met Albertans and a smattering of Americans at the resort.

I eventually hared it over to the beach and soon found myself chatting with two young ladies lounging on their reclining chairs. They admitted that they were from San Jose, California.

I instantly started singing the old Dione Warwick song, ' Do you Know the Way to San Jose?' They smiled a bit weakly at that.

One lady told me that she worked in an office and also did fortune telling on the side. And then the top of her bikini fell down. I quickly averted my eyes. (I have a long history of making poor decisions)

Later I thought that if she could tell the future, maybe she could have averted that clothing mishap?

The beaches were actually full of beautiful tanned folks with some of the lovely ladies wearing gold ankle bracelets. Marvellous.

And then I walked around a corner and this chap came by. Big belly, wearing a speed-o .. burnt red as a lobster and coated in a thick layer of what looked like cold cream.

It was beyond time to go to the wild lands and do some hunting.

There was a lady in the hotel that set up trips for the Canadians to go on tours and such. I wanted to do some big game fishing and some bird shooting if that was possible.

The chap ahead of me in the line was also talking to her about hunting so I asked the fellow what he was looking for. He told me that he wanted to shoot a black jaguar.

I knew that was ridiculous. I also wanted a black jaguar and a tiger in far of India but some things are just beyond our reach for many reasons. That is just life.

The lady put me into a bird shoot with the Avilla Brothers (if I remember the name correctly) but I needed a partner. A fellow from Prince George showed up as my new friend and hunting buddy.
The trip was actually quite expensive for about 1983 and with gun rental (870 pumps) and shells and such the tab was over $200 for each of us.

We hunted doves in the morning and this was my first experience with those little guys. The guide explained that the shooting was much better on hot sunny days that the cool overcast day that we were suffering through.

Be that as it may, I shot like a wild man for a few hours and managed the grand total of only 8 white winged doves. My new friend shot the same number but probably shot at least a box or two less than me.

It was then time for lunch so the fellow dropped us off at an outdoor restaurant and disappeared for nearly four hours. We ate a huge platter of battered shrimp that was so good we ordered another platter and polished that off, too.

I walked over to a market of some kind and bought my wee baby boy back home a white Corvette Sting Ray toy car. The lady charged me 10 cents.

I had the real thing back home at it cost me $9,000. I still have the toy in my garage.

Eventually the guide returned from his siesta. It was time to shoot ducks. They were all little guys like shovellers and teal. All were fully plumaged out.

I stood beside one pond in the jungle and these little ducks would rocket by me as I unleashed hell fire at them. They would flare and then go over my friend at his pond further down in the jungle.

They seemed much easier to hit than those miserable doves and I started really piling them up. They were, of course, much harder for my partner to shoot as they were higher and flairing when they got to him.

My guide finally asked me to spare a few to give the other shooter a better chance. No problem as, by then, I was not at all low on the flat foots.

I soon finished my limit of 15 ducks and then cheered on my new friend as he started in earnest to catch up to the great duck hunter from Alberta.

By then we had been hit by a hot rain for a couple of hours. I had never actually ever been in a hot rain before. Eventually the nice guide handed us a bottle of brandy to warm us up.

I was touched by his thoughtfulness. I think that he eventually charged us about $7 U.S. for the brandy.

That evening I took the 16 doves to a fancy restaurant next door and asked if they would cook them for us.

The chef looked at the plucked birds and said that with gravy and potatoes and such - he would have to charge us $2.60 each.

16 roasted birds in a circle were presented to us the next evening. The cerveza and Margaritas increased the tab substantially.

I asked the guide while I was hunting if they had ever taken a black jaguar as they were famous jaguar guides back in the day.

He told me that once they had heard that there was a black jaguar in one area.

I did run into the chap who wanted one before I flew home and asked him if he had gotten his black jaguar... he said that he was trying to set up an ocelet hunt. I wished him well.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:58 PM

Scruffy… I do love your stories.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:23 AM

Great Story, Thanks