Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Birch lake ice condition

Has anyone been out on Birch lake NW of Sundre this year? Wondering how the ice is. I was up in that area a few days a go it was showing -17C. I imagine there must be some ice by now. TIA
Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Had a successful trip out there last weekend. I'm sure it's still good.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
Had a successful trip out there last weekend. I'm sure it's still good.
Wow, I was there on the 22 of nov and there was just some ice around the edges (maybe 5-7ft out) and I could break it with a good stomp. It was frozen and you were out there fishing on the 26-27?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:57 PM

I was out in that area on the 28th on 4" of solid awesome black ice like glass for my yearly trip out for a little brookie action but action was slow for me. The trip itself and the surroundings with the light snow atop a good frost and man what a morning and afternoonpure silence other than the 4 gunshots I heard from the last few hunters out and about getting their game before the end of season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
Wow, I was there on the 22 of nov and there was just some ice around the edges (maybe 5-7ft out) and I could break it with a good stomp. It was frozen and you were out there fishing on the 26-27?

I had enough to get some great fishing done. Solid 2" Some places a bit more, some a bit less. I had my safety measures setup just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Suggest you guys stay away from the south end where the two aerators are and you should be ok, ice has been growing since last Saturday when we dropped in for a look.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 PM

I'm heading out that way tomorrow (Thurs. Dec. 22nd/16) and will post an update on ice & fishing conditions!

I'll be the guy with the 2 sleds camped south of the main island, directly west of the boat launch area.

Feel free to drop by and shoot the ****e if you'd like!!

The jegermiester :-)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:36 PM

It was a great day to be out on the ice!!

Quite a few people scattered all over the lake, the ice where I was fishing measured a good 8 - 10 inches....although I did hear one guy mention that the ice wasn't as thick for a hole he had drilled further out!

Anyways, it's all good for walking on and the aeration system on the south end of the lake is snow fenced in....so if anyway chooses to fish inside the warning barrier....well, you know what they say about the shallow end of the gene pool :P

Fishing was what I'd consider slow, with bites occurring sporadically, but throughout the day! I caught a total of 4 Rainbows and 2 Brookies(which had the black spots on them).

Released all but the one RB. It was amazing to me how lightly these fair sized RB's were biting. Caught 2 RB's actively jigging a Slender Spoon and the remainder were caught on the JawJacker.

Here's a couple of pics for you to enjoy. The RB in the 1st pic I kept and the football shaped RB in the 2nd pic is kinda neat...at least I think so :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002A.jpg (143.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 004A.jpg (72.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Wicked!! Looks like a super day. Lots of snow on the ice up there? What kind of bait did you put on the set lines?
Old 12-23-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Wicked!! Looks like a super day. Lots of snow on the ice up there? What kind of bait did you put on the set lines?
Not much snow cover at all, in fact the slope down to the lake was kinda bare for a stretch and made pulling the sleds back up a bit of a challenge!

I was using a mealworm cut in half or a small sliver of plain old cocktail shrimp.....both worked equally well.

I also caught one of the brookies on a bead headed Prince