Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Default Fly Casting Lessons

I'm newly retired and have decided to take up fly fishing this year.I'm looking for someone to give me a few casing lessons. I've been practicing using You Tube videos but I would like a few lessons from a living person! Please PM me if you or someone you know would be interested.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:07 AM

Default Fly casting

If your in the Calgary area send me a message. I would be happy to help you out Russ C
Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 PM

I forgot to mention that I'm in Edmonton! Too bad! I sure would've taken you up on that offer! Thanks anyway...
Old 05-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Default I'm in Edmonton.

I live in the west end and I would be willing to pay you whatever you think is appropriate for your time. Even one lesson would be great just to tell me what I"m doing right and wrong and to point me in the right direction.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 PM

I learned most of what I needed from these clips and a few others
Fly Casting Tutorials from On the Fly Productions: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540

I also headed out to an open field to practice as well.
It takes less power than you think. Watch your rod tip on your back cast. To low and you're hitting the ground with your line and possibly causing tailing loops.

Other than that. Practice... Practice... Practice.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 PM

One big thing that I had trouble with and see many other beginners not doing is let you fly line unfold long enough on the back cast. As stated earlier, casting is not all muscle but rather technique. Just take your time and it will come!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Stryker 2, pm sent.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:59 PM

Google Hanson's Boot Camp. $200 gets you a full day lesson AND a very good 4 piece rod/reel/line set. In Calgary though.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 AM

When you are practicing your casting set up a video camera to record yourself. It will be much easier to Analise your casting technique and make appropriate corrections. Many of us false cast way to much so try to false cast just enough to get the line out. Try to resist the urge to get the last five feet of line out that puts you in the zone where you lose control of the fly line.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys! I found someone from NLF to give me a few lessons on the casting. Practicing is most definitely a must but if you're practicing the wrong technique, then you're just reinforcing the wrong method you're using! It's kinda like golfing! I was going to the driving range all the time practicing and was wondering why my swing wasn't getting better, until I took a short 20 mins lesson and found out I was making some critical mistakes in my stance and swing. And just like that I was able to swing much better!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Good analogy practice doesn't make perfect.Perfect practice make perfect.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:11 PM

I've always been the self taught guy. Got my wind knot issues figured out. Was keeping my wrist to tight on forward cast. Allowed the tip to just dip a little bit with more wrist movement and now I'm enjoying nice tight loops with the proper roll out with my leader etc. You can learn it with practice...
Lessons are a heck of a lot faster though!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 PM

I watched tons of videos. Also tied a piece of wool on and had at in the park alot.

Seems to be a few different ways people cast and teach it. Probably why so many videos. Best video for me by far was Joan Wulff's one titled "Casting Basics". Thats the one that was the magic needed for me. Probably will be different for each individual though.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:08 AM

Default Update on fly casting Lessons!

Just wanted to let you guys know I got my first lesson on Wed night with a great instructor from Northern Lights Fly Fishers. I was able to cast properly with distance after 20 mins of instruction, it honestly just blew me away! He spent over an hour with me and at no cost!! He has restored my faith in humanity that's for sure!
So I went to a pond yesterday morning to try out what I learned and I caught my first fish!!! Wow! That was a moment I'll never forget! Now I'm really hooked!!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:48 AM

Way to go! Feels good dont it? Your hooked now.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:03 PM

Congratulations on the first catch! Always the most memorable. I'm pleased to hear you found an instructor!
It's an addiction. I'm hoping to sneak out tomorrow am...
Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingPenguin View Post
Congratulations on the first catch! Always the most memorable. I'm pleased to hear you found an instructor!
It's an addiction. I'm hoping to sneak out tomorrow am...
Thank you! Yes it's an addiction but a good one!!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:48 AM

Default Update on the newbie fly fisherwoman!

I have to say yesterday was one of the most exciting days of my life! I caught my first bigger fish, a nice 17 1/2" rainbow fly fishing! I had to take my time and play that fish for a bit as it kept wanting to run off! My heart was pounding the whole time! I didn't want to break the line or rod tip so I had to be disciplined and I'm sure it took me 10 mins to land it! I was fishing in my float tube, that was a little awkward as I'm not used to it yet (only 2nd time out).. Oh but that was so awesome!!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM

I'm 5 hours away, and am no help from here, but my two biggest ''ah-ha!" moments were accelerating to a stop, and waiting an extra half second longer then you think you need on the back cast.

I kept hearing the whip crack behind me, and found out about waiting almost uncomfortably long on the back cast.

Also, keeping a stiff wrist, and bending at the elbow like you're throwing darts, and accelerating through the stroke to a definitive stop. Gets a nice throw.

These are just things that work for me, though.... Good luck! if you can launch a fly more than ten feet close to where you want it, and not get a rats nest, you're doing better then lots!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
I'm 5 hours away, and am no help from here, but my two biggest ''ah-ha!" moments were accelerating to a stop, and waiting an extra half second longer then you think you need on the back cast.

I kept hearing the whip crack behind me, and found out about waiting almost uncomfortably long on the back cast.

Also, keeping a stiff wrist, and bending at the elbow like you're throwing darts, and accelerating through the stroke to a definitive stop. Gets a nice throw.

These are just things that work for me, though.... Good luck! if you can launch a fly more than ten feet close to where you want it, and not get a rats nest, you're doing better then lots!
Thanks for your tips, I'm doing pretty good, with the instruction I got from a kind gentlemen I'm able to cast a good 25-30 ft without anymore nests! LOL! And yes it's always that back acceleration to a stop that often gets me! Then I remember to do it right and miraculously it's perfect!!