Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2022, 03:02 PM

Default Antelope draw

We are Priority 12 on antelope in WMUs 102 and 118 this year (Draw code 803). I think we have an almost sure thing to be drawn this year. We’re planning to head down early to scout and get permission. Any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2022, 03:52 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

One thing of note would be the time of year you plan on getting permission. If fire bans are on in the counties, most leaseholders will deny access. Often times the closer you get to that antelope season, the better chances that fire bans are off and makes permission easier. That being said, I've hunted antelope during that 3rd week in Oct and still had fire bans on, so its worth paying attention to.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:05 PM

I hunted antelope last year and thought I was going to get a bunch of permission locked down early, but the fire bans put the kibosh on that.

Any of the lease holders that said no access, I just thanked them and said I would call back when the bans got lifted. They all seemed OK with that.

Then once they were lifted, the ones I called back were easy to get access from.

The hutterite colony near my hunting area was good about foot access. Thats where I ended up getting mine.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:27 PM

I’m sorry for not knowing, but why do fire bans prevent access? Landowners don’t trust hunters because of the potential of brass to start fires?
Old 04-10-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I’m sorry for not knowing, but why do fire bans prevent access? Landowners don’t trust hunters because of the potential of brass to start fires?
Hot exhausts, broken glass, and there's always someone who thoughtlessly tosses their cigarette butts. The ranchers don't want anyone out there, unless it's absolutely necessary. Can't say I blame them, although waiting 12 years to get drawn and then get locked out, is a bitter pill to swallow.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:15 PM

Permission is tougher to get these days. Last year on the opener there was 58 trucks on every antelope in 102. Be prepared to have a race or put some miles on the boots.

It's a tough hunt and not as enjoyable as it was in years past when there wasnt so many tags and the zones were more open for access.

Lots of goats around though.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:50 PM

That's a lot of trucks considering there were 37 Trophy tags allotted in that zone.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchfisher View Post
That's a lot of trucks considering there were 37 Trophy tags allotted in that zone.
There is 185 tags for 102/118
I had took this draw for my last alberta antelope
I’ll wait longer before I pull a tag to avoid this rodeo
Old 04-11-2022, 06:56 PM

My bad it was 37 for archery.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:18 AM

I've antelope hunted a fair number of zones when you got drawn every couple of years, but eventually settled on hunting 102/108. Generally go out for a look-around a couple days before the opener, find a nice area, knock on doors and get permission. Carry your paper map to the farmhouse ( hunting boundaries will be clear and a rancher will often put an X on the spot for you - nothing's sweeter than hearing "Well, when the shooting starts, the big ones usually head here..."). I look for wide, open valleys/coulees or low spots that are not visible from the road, but usually within 1 km of the road. If there's a fence-line cutting the valley, all the better - it'll provide a little cover. Then take my rifle for a walk opening morning. I seldom see another hunter.

Or, use the truck traffic to your advantage. If you see a herd moving towards a road a mile away, slip in behind them once they've past, and find some good cover and get concealed. Chances are, they'll be intercepted by a cruising truck as they approach the road. As the truck stops and the shooter jumps out, the herd'll do a 180, and head right back the way they approached - they feel safer retreating over terrain that they just covered......and come right into your lap.

Have exactly where you want to be a 1/2hr before sunrise on opening day all picked out in advance - even build a rough blind with tumbleweeds if you need to. The rough ground and a little height from livestock dug-outs works well. Use flagging or GPS so you can find it in the dark, and be there with time to spare on opening morning. Try to approach in low runs or wash-outs - even in the dark. Don't let the low, morning sun light you up, no matter how good your camp is, stay broken-up shaded and sit tight - antelope can be late risers, but once they're up, the low sun will make them pop. And take the time to breath it all in - it's a classic Alberta experience!