Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM

Default Lake mead Nevada fishing

Hey guys! I am going to Vegas for 5 days and I am think about taking a trip to lake mead for some strippers and large mouth. Has anyone used any guides out there? Not sure if I should take a cab or rent a car. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
Hey guys! I am going to Vegas for 5 days and I am think about taking a trip to lake mead for some strippers and large mouth. Has anyone used any guides out there? Not sure if I should take a cab or rent a car. Any advice is appreciated.
Most people will stay in Vagas for the strippers I don't think the lake has that many. Stripers, on the other hand, probably better off at the lake.

Last edited by cube; 06-18-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM

adventureinangling.com

I was there is march and this guy is pretty good. It was too early in the spring to get into the great striper fishing. There is supposed to be 40 million plus stripers in lake mead. the landing he uses is about 45 min from the airport.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Lol ya I am sure there will be stippers and stripers. Kind of excited never caught a bass
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM

I suggest you rent a car, it will be a long & expensive taxi ride. A 5 mile ride from the middle of the Strip to Fremont Street runs about $25, Lake Mead is about 30 miles. We're headed down next week and the rental for 5 days was $120 including all taxes.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM

All I know about that lake is that there are some huuuuuuge fish in there. I could see them from the Hoover Dam. I dunno what species they were though
Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM

The largest of the stripers are below the hoover damn were they stock it 2 times a week with rainbow trout. Lake Mead itself is extremely hard to fish from shore because most of it is on private property or the access is limited from the steep drop offs. Talk was some guy got lucky and got a large laker but it was thought to be all gone from the strippers taking over.
They got in their because they didn't think they would reproduce and ended up causing a mess for the native fish making it hard to compete. The average sized striper in Mead isnt nothing to be excited about unless you fish the spilllway.
They were a pond just south of Bass Pro by the Airport that has stripers that can be caught on the fly. Talk to the guy at the Fly Shop about lake Mead theres 2 of them that shift off and both do extremely well from a boat in numbers.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to hire a guide. And I think renting a car is probably the best bet.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Did a day trip a few years back. The guide seemed to know where he going we caught a few stripers, but mostly yellow catfish. It was March and they were deep. The guys gear was pretty crappy in my opinion so if you have room for a couple of good rods bring them. Tried for bass for a couple of hours but no luck with swim baits, he said live bait would have got us a couple but he couldn't find any shad to net.
All in all cool pretty cool day nice to get away from the city.
BTW you could rent a car for the whole time you are there for what a cab ride would cost you.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Just did a trip for bass in early June.

I can recommend a guide for large-mouth in St. George Utah (a little north of Vegas)
and can recommend against two guides on Lake Mead.

Definitely rent a car.
The HUGE population of Striped Bass in Mead, made me wonder about the point in a guide. *shrugs* Maybe because of the less than stellar experience I had and the apparent ease of catching them. Ordinarily I love guided trips.

PM me for details if you want them.