Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-24-2012, 05:08 PM

One day I do want to hunt Deer with both flintlock and selfbow, but at this time in my life I don't have the finances or time to pursue those goals.
From what I have seen buying a flintlock with the required gear would be far more expensive than buying the old Cooey and shot. And there is no one near where I live that teaches the bowyers art. One day though I will have time to look for a teacher, and have the time to devote to the project.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:37 PM

doubt you will be able to find them here in Alberta,but these are the ultimate buckshot shells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triball.JPG (54.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Default new challenge for next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Black View Post
Thanks again everyone for the replies and advice.
I'll keep an eye open for a suitable shotgun (preferably the Cooey), and I'll research what brands/types of shot are available and recommended.
If the shotgun and loads don't produce a pattern I am comfortable hunting with, then of course I won't use it. And as far as shot placement goes, it sounds like neck shots are the best option, and I will choose a load/pattern with that in mind.
Really looking forward to walking through the woods wearing a plaid coat, carrying a Canadian made shotgun, with a few #6s in one pocket for the Rabbits and Grouse and some buckshot for a Buck.
hi bud i have done a little bit of testing of buckshot i used a rem 870 12 g and a rem 1100 20g in the 870 i used a rem super full choke with rem 3 1/2 mag oo buck they had 18 pellets they was good for about 50 yards and the 20 g were rem 2 3/4 3 bk with 20 pellets using a rem super full choke i never shot deer with these but shot red fox there was not alot left of the fox i also shot a 50 gallon oil drum at 50 yrds there was not alot left of that as far deer i have not got clue but i would say that they would damage the meat very bad indeed in a model 84 you would be using 2 3/4 cases if am not wrong i think remington do a 9 and 12 pellet 2 3/4 case, sorry cant be more help but if it was me i would use a one once slug it would be alot cleaner but thats just me atvb steve
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I am just wondering if buck shot fits in these catagories.
•ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
•ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
Lead shot is not allowed, are the buck shot loads .23 calibre and do they expand. My thoughts are no they don't I could be wrong. Just doesn't seem right to me IMHO. I have never had anything to do with buck shot. How many are in one load? What size are they?
00 buck is .33 or 8.4 mm
There are 9 balls in a 2 3/4 load and maybe 1 more in a 3 inch load.

I would practice and pattern on a deer sized vital target starting at 10 yards. The distance you can get 3 or better 4 in the vitals every time is your maximum distance for an attempt. Sure, one ball may kill that deer but probably will not be quick.

Last edited by covey ridge; 12-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
can't imagine getting shot simultaneously with 15-18, 30 cal rounds, no automatic can match that performance.
Pretty awesome performance but I can not imagine ever getting that many balls on target.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM

check out the new Hornady Zombie Max or their Critical Defense buckshot rounds. Shooting these from a 36" barrel should be nothing less than AWESOME! They turn the Goose Gun into the Moose Gun!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Default Bunch skit

Justin you've been bowhunting and can get close to deer, I wouldn't be into buckshot myself but if you genuinely keep your shots to 20 yards or less it'll work. One thing about a gun is you can get incredibly close shots because of the lack of movement before firing so really a 10 or 15 yard shot is easy to do.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM

I bought some 3" 000 buck a year or so ago at wholesale. Cut one open and found 10
.375" - .380" balls inside. I reckon inside of 30 or 40 yards one to the melon would result in getting your knife dirty. I throw in a couple boxes and the coach gun when we go camping.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

wow look at that there is a picture of a buck on that box of BUCK shot
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Good luck with you shotgun hunt, make sure you are close.
Next year I will try deer (doe maybe) with my straight sights Win Legacy lever action Colt 45. Got a few Hornady loads up to 1700 FPS.

TBark
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM

If this was bear defence then buckshot would be the 'bestest ever'

Good luck on the hunt. Sounds like you know what you up against and will do well.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post

Good luck on the hunt. Sounds like you know what you up against and will do well.
Having shot a few bears with buckshot as well as the two deer mentioned, I prefer slugs for them as well, unless I am literally inside 15 feet.
Cat
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Don't let the "armchair experts" discourage you,buckshot is deadly effective when used within it's range limitations,which in my experience is probably 50 yards or so if you've patterned your gun and KNOW how it prints at that range.Anybody who doubts that is more than welcome to stand downrange 50 yards and soak up a center mass hit of triple ought,lemme know how that feels,LOL."Sorry,whats that??I can't understand you,stop all that gurgling and speak clearly."
Personally speaking,I've shot a handful of WT (5-6?)and a few coyotes with 00 and 000 buck,from 5-50 yards,none of which took another step,although one or two needed a coup de grace slug to head to finish them.My old SxS 12ga,choked IC and MOD,with buckshot in the IC tube and a slug in the Mod was a deadly combo for stillhunting WT in thick bush where close range shots are the norm.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm no "armchair expert" and have used buckshot on both bears and deer and hate the crap for sporting/ recreational hunting.
If a person wants to ingnore real world results and advice, fine by me......
Cat
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

So....ummmmmm.....what are you saying?That YOUR real world experience is the only experience that matters?
A)I didn't direct my "armchair experts" comment at you nor anybody specifically,it was intended more for the "theorist ballistician" crowd that have never used buckshot and don't know wtf they are yapping about.....at least you have some experience to draw from.

B)I offered my own "real world experience"....that's it,that's all.I've had impressive bang/flop results using buckshot within it's limitations.Anybody that doubts the effectiveness of a load of 000 to the head/neck region of a WT inside typical bowhunting ranges should maybe spend more time hunting and less time preaching unfounded theories on their computer as if it were Gospel?

And fwiw,I normally don't advocate head/neck shots on big game,but with buckshot on a WT @30 yards from a patterned tube....that deer ain't going nowhere but down!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post

No it wouldn't....
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Don't let the "armchair experts" discourage you,buckshot is deadly effective when used within it's range limitations,which in my experience is probably 50 yards or so if you've patterned your gun and KNOW how it prints at that range.Anybody who doubts that is more than welcome to stand downrange 50 yards and soak up a center mass hit of triple ought,lemme know how that feels,LOL."Sorry,whats that??I can't understand you,stop all that gurgling and speak clearly."
Personally speaking,I've shot a handful of WT (5-6?)and a few coyotes with 00 and 000 buck,from 5-50 yards,none of which took another step,although one or two needed a coup de grace slug to head to finish them.My old SxS 12ga,choked IC and MOD,with buckshot in the IC tube and a slug in the Mod was a deadly combo for stillhunting WT in thick bush where close range shots are the norm.
50 yards!?!

What reliably drops in its tracks at 50 yards when hit by any shot.... sparrows?

50 yards and I'd be willing to bet most of those pellets wouldn't penetrate much past the near side hide and a good number wouldn't even be in the animal.

Good arm chair advice there professor...

The only challenge of using a shot loaded shotgun over a bow or other firearm at close quarters is if you can't hit a garbage can lid at 20 paces with a single projectile weapon.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 12-27-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
50 yards!?!

What reliably drops in its tracks at 50 yards when hit by any shot.... sparrows?

50 yards and I'd be willing to bet most of those pellets wouldn't penetrate much past the near side hide and a good number wouldn't even be in the animal.

Good arm chair advice there professor...

The only challenge of using a shot loaded shotgun over a bow or other firearm at close quarters is if you can't hit a garbage can lid at 20 paces with a single projectile weapon.
And exactly how many deer have you shot with buckshot Mr.Knowitall??personally speaking,I've shot several,the farthest being just about 50yards give or take....if you don't believe 6,8,10 .33 cal lead balls to your head/neck/shoulder is enough shock and awe to put you down instantly,I guess you must be armor plated and bulletproof,apparently not unlike the WTs that roam your neck of the woods??

Like I said above,yer welcome to stand downrange 50 yards if yer up for a penetration test?Cmon...what's the worse that could happen??Barely penetrate your skin right??Hell,you can even wear a fur coat if you like?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM

What am saying and what said in earlier posts is that my experences in using buckshot were less than satisfactory and Iwon't use it again less Ihave nothing else.

I would not use a .45 rond ball in a traditional muzzle loader again ether, but many seem to think they are okay.
I found them lacking and there are better bullets to cast if one insists on using a .45.This is another thread that I have been lead into an argumetn about something so I will remove myself from it and go on my way.
Have a great day!
Cat
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
50 yards!?!

Ducks and geese, every fall. They even drop at 60 and 70 yards...
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
What am saying and what said in earlier posts is that my experences in using buckshot were less than satisfactory and Iwon't use it again less Ihave nothing else.

I would not use a .45 rond ball in a traditional muzzle loader again ether, but many seem to think they are okay.
I found them lacking and there are better bullets to cast if one insists on using a .45.This is another thread that I have been lead into an argumetn about something so I will remove myself from it and go on my way.
Have a great day!
Cat
I'll go a step further... There may have been a time - long ago - when buckshot would have been acceptable method of dispatching animals. That day has come and gone. I'm not about to get into an argument with anyone, and will check out of this thread after this post, but the animals we hunt deserve the RESPECT of being dispatched in as humane a manner as possible, as opposed to the next thrill. 00 Buck does not meet that criteria, there are infinite numbers of better choices. My guess is that most who have tried it successfully, won't do so again.

Finally, I doubt the veracity of your claims GRINR. Normally I wouldn't go as far as to say so, but you started by referring to thread contributors who don't agree with your opinion as "armchair experts." When you are condescending you open yourself up to people calling BS on your claims. So not that it matters a hill of beans, but I call BS.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'll go a step further... There may have been a time - long ago - when buckshot would have been acceptable method of dispatching animals. That day has come and gone. I'm not about to get into an argument with anyone, and will check out of this thread after this post, but the animals we hunt deserve the RESPECT of being dispatched in as humane a manner as possible, as opposed to the next thrill. 00 Buck does not meet that criteria, there are infinite numbers of better choices. My guess is that most who have tried it successfully, won't do so again.

Finally, I doubt the veracity of your claims GRINR. Normally I wouldn't go as far as to say so, but you started by referring to thread contributors who don't agree with your opinion as "armchair experts." When you are condescending you open yourself up to people calling BS on your claims. So not that it matters a hill of beans, but I call BS.
Yep
Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM

hmmm,wonder if anyone knows the energy required for a clean kill on a deer size target with one projectile of say....25-38 cal?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM

welll then, perhaps we should compare some of the more common handgun calibers with the new buckshot loads and to make it absolutely clear, make sure you use a hunting lenght barrel on that shottie,say 26"-36" as were not talking home defense here. my guess is that the energy of the buckshot combined with the multiple hits on target will far out weight most common handguns. is there a hole in your boot?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

good luck with this justin. i dont care who has what to say about it....its legal and if you want to, then do it. you could make the argument that archery isnt as effective as a scoped 300 mag....who cares? it seems you know and accept the limitations, so get at it. looking forward to your pics next fall.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Pretty awesome performance but I can not imagine ever getting that many balls on target.
Again,got two think out side the box,others might say,learn to hunt. it's all about effective range and self control.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Again,got two think out side the box,others might say,learn to hunt. it's all about effective range and self control.
15-18 .30 cal bullets? Not only can I not imagine getting that many on target, if I was a learned hunter as yourself, I can not imagine wanting to hit a deer with 15-18 .30 cal bullets.

Anyway. in Alberta it is legal so to the OP I say have at it!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

You can call it wutever u want sport,I got nothin to prove and no reason to BS.....just giving my .02 on buckshot as somebody that's ACTUALLY USED IT and not just sat around a 'puter desk thinking about it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM

All this talk of shooting deer with some buckshot makes me want to get some to reload and go hit the patterning board for the afternoon...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm no "armchair expert" and have used buckshot on both bears and deer and hate the crap for sporting/ recreational hunting.
If a person wants to ingnore real world results and advice, fine by me......
Cat
My experience has been different than yours, however that certainly will not invalidate your experience as everyones circumstances are different, shot a deer at about 25 feet with 000 3" buckshot many years ago out of a full choke Remington 870 shotgun.
The deer dropped like it had been hit by the hammer of Thor, was a full broadside on a large bodied white tail and most of the pellets exited the animal out the far side.
Shot a problem bear at about 30 feet with a .22 LR loaded with 40 grain lead between the eyes (dumb two year old wouldn't get out of the back yard) and he dropped the same way.
Personaly inside of 25 meters I trust 00 2.75" buckshot in a cylinder bore barrel of 14-18" on anything smaller than grizzly bear.
That is all based on real world experience as well, both experiences are worth something and goes to show that the OP needs to test his ammunition and think carefully before he pulls the trigger.