Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Default Auctioned bears

How many of you have sent bears into auction? It doesn't seem like there is much of a market for them and in years past it seems they don't always sell. Have any of you sent any in? Is it worth it? I have one I could send in but not sure if it is worth the hassle.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Was wondering the same. Alot of guys bear hunt every year, but I only want one rug!!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Then only shoot one bear.
I have been bear hunting for 20 some years and have only shot 3 bears.
The next one will be a large colored bear.
Why shoot them if you dont want them???
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Then only shoot one bear.
I have been bear hunting for 20 some years and have only shot 3 bears.
The next one will be a large colored bear.
I think the days of shooting a large colored one are long gone...too many hunters willing to shoot the first color phase they see,,, sad really
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 PM

I don't think the question is whether he wants them but rather is there a market for bears. Every RFMA holder has a right to harvest black bears and if there's a market for them why not harvest them. I believe a good spring bear will sell at auction but many bears sent in are crap. Price will never be high but five bears at $150 each isn't that bad.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I think the days of shooting a large colored one are long gone...too many hunters willing to shoot the first color phase they see,,, sad really
So true. We saw a nice chocolate this year...6' ish. Hopefully nobody shoots him, but...I think I'm dreamin in technicolour. There are some good ones around but this chocolate was the largest I've seen in years in the area and he wasn't about to get shot by us.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I think so as well. Really sad seeing small blonde sows being shot and then bragged up. Kind of like shooting a spiker with a 1/2 inch drop tine.....
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM

Funny how all kinds of guys go out every year and shoot bears and then not have a house full of bear hides? Very few are sold in the sale, yet they are shot by the thousands?

A few make it to the taxidermists and a few more get tanned, but where do the rest of them all and up? Anybody? Any guesses?

I bet lots get thrown out, perhaps more than the rest combined. Just a guess. Guesses should not warrant a thrashing?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM

Default Auction Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
Funny how all kinds of guys go out every year and shoot bears and then not have a house full of bear hides? Very few are sold in the sale, yet they are shot by the thousands?

A few make it to the taxidermists and a few more get tanned, but where do the rest of them all and up? Anybody? Any guesses?

I bet lots get thrown out, perhaps more than the rest combined. Just a guess. Guesses should not warrant a thrashing?

Bet most are left to rot, That is the diff of trapping to sport hunting, RFMA holder can harvest the bears for a profit, hunting is for sport....
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 PM

I would disagree. I think most guys that make the effort of baiting for weeks and sitting in the stand for days will not let the bear just rot. At least not the guys I hunt with.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 PM

Ya there is quite a few color bears where i hunt
, and not alot of hunting pressure.
I will keep baiting as long as i can till i get a large color phase bear or i will get lots of video of everything else.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I think it's ridiculous to have to keep the hide but not be obligated to keep the meat. I hunt bear for the meat, not the "trophy" hide. IMO, it should be the other way around and it's stupid to have to keep the hide over the meat. Someone on here may be able to educate me as to why it is this way. And I welcome that. Demo

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post

I don't think the question is whether he wants them but rather is there a market for bears. Every RFMA holder has a right to harvest black bears and if there's a market for them why not harvest them. I believe a good spring bear will sell at auction but many bears sent in are crap. Price will never be high but five bears at $150 each isn't that bad.
$150 for a bear hide seems like alot of work for very little pay tho isn't it Brian ? I mean compare that to $10 for a muskrat ..
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 PM

Default Doom profit.

Quote:
just like all the deer are gone ? And everyone should stop hunting deer out east. Lots of large colored phase bears if you know where to look. Lots of deer on the south east side too.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Bet most are left to rot, That is the diff of trapping to sport hunting, RFMA holder can harvest the bears for a profit, hunting is for sport....
My guess is very few are left to rot outright, maybe in the private land. I suspect most are shot and skinned and took home and left to freezer-burn, then they are taken out and thrown away.

I also suspect that many are skinned and then they convieniently rot, so then your only option is to happily throw away your bear! Who wants a new bear rug every year.

The alternative is over population and big bears. Over population is never good.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM

I didn't think I asked the question for a debate on what is going on with the hides guys. I simply wanted to know if people are selling them and what are they gettiing for them? I have seen in the past they they sell 100% and sometimes not at all and wanted to know what kind of success you have had. For those guys out there that like to eat the critters and have no use for the hide it makes sense that I could sell it couldn't I with just a regular hunting license? I have friends that have shot bears for the meat and have hides kicking around and we figured to auction them off and get a few bucks would be worth it but I am not going to bother if they don't sell.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Well that's the funny thing about forums. You ask a question but don't get to control the conversation and sometimes they turn into debates. Welcome to the world of forum.

Here's the truth, there is very good demand for big clean bears, especially if they are well handled. It also seems that the rest of the bears sell just fine, but smaller bears don't commando the big prices, but the trade seems to use them all up.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Good to know and I appreciate the answer. I would hate a hide to go to waste and if I or my buddies don't need them then I am glad they could be put to use.
What is the best way to get them to the Auction? I had heard you can just take them to Halford hides with your hunting license and they send them in, is that correct?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
just like all the deer are gone ? And everyone should stop hunting deer out east. Lots of large colored phase bears if you know where to look. Lots of deer on the south east side too.
Sorry, I forgot that you know everything...long time with no posts...guess who was asking about you the other day?????.......NOT A FRIGGIN' SOUL!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Well that's the funny thing about forums. You ask a question but don't get to control the conversation and sometimes they turn into debates. Welcome to the world of forum.

Here's the truth, there is very good demand for big clean bears, especially if they are well handled. It also seems that the rest of the bears sell just fine, but smaller bears don't commando the big prices, but the trade seems to use them all up.
I have shot several bears over the last 30 yrs.I have 2 rugs and 1 full body mount in my house and not one of any of the many bears I shot has ever been wasted.There are several ways to get rid of unwanted hides if your not to greedy.I have sold several to my taxi who in turn sold them to a taxi from England.Some I had tanned or rugged and sold them and just a few months ago I gave 2 away so I could go bear hunting again this year.So just cause you dont know how to make use of them does not mean they are bieng wasted.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Are bears sold at auction often just skinned, fleshed, and dried similar to any other pelt, or are they sold salted? What methods of skinning do the auctions prefer?

I'll have to do some looking into this for future reference.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM

If you dont need them or want them let them grow up to be booners then you will want them
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 AM

I agree. Only shoot if you want a rug or mount.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
If you dont need them or want them let them grow up to be booners then you will want them
Do you guys not read?????? Like I said some people eat them and it is illegal to waste the fur. We are trying to find a way around being illegal and throwing the fur in the garbage. We could care less if they are boon and crocket or not.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Are bears sold at auction often just skinned, fleshed, and dried similar to any other pelt, or are they sold salted? What methods of skinning do the auctions prefer?

I'll have to do some looking into this for future reference.
If you do decide to ship your bears , ya skin , flesh , and stretch your bear to dry , it never hurts to salt the paws either.
I've salted paws and after turning the eyes, ears nose and lips work a little salt into those too. Make sure the face dries good before shipping you don't want those hard to dry areas to spoil. I think all bears shipped are bought by taxidermists and keep a keen eye for a good put up . It's a lot of work for a little money but hey that's trapping.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just lucky View Post
Do you guys not read?????? Like I said some people eat them and it is illegal to waste the fur. We are trying to find a way around being illegal and throwing the fur in the garbage. We could care less if they are boon and crocket or not.
If you dont want them simply post them in the buy&sell "to give away"someone willgladly take them.You can also tan them and then sell them.Remember you can only sell a raw hide to a licensed fur buyer,but you can give it away to anyone who wants it.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:44 AM

I have never hunted bear and really not sure if I would, but I would take a bear rug if anyone wants to get rid of one.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:05 PM

If you know wht you are doing, then skin, flesh and stretch the bear open, flat and symetrical, salt in the paws and sensitive areas such. Turn the ears inside out and make sure it is turned to the tip so the end user gets a good bear, not a good bear with naked ears after all the fur fell off the ears in the tanning process.

If you aren't good at fleshing, try your best to get all the fat off and try to skin off the meat without knife nicking the leather. Then pour the salt on the bear. Then stretch it symetrical and make it clean. A bear that looks like you pulled it out of the muck hole and is caked with blood doesn't bring the bucks. Itis a presentation market so present it the best you can and you will get the most possible.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
If you know wht you are doing, then skin, flesh and stretch the bear open, flat and symetrical, salt in the paws and sensitive areas such. Turn the ears inside out and make sure it is turned to the tip so the end user gets a good bear, not a good bear with naked ears after all the fur fell off the ears in the tanning process.

If you aren't good at fleshing, try your best to get all the fat off and try to skin off the meat without knife nicking the leather. Then pour the salt on the bear. Then stretch it symetrical and make it clean. A bear that looks like you pulled it out of the muck hole and is caked with blood doesn't bring the bucks. Itis a presentation market so present it the best you can and you will get the most possible.
Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. I might as well take the little time to do it up right and put it on the market than giving it away after all of the work. At least if I could fetch $50 to pay for some gas it always is a help.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Default Eating Bear Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition101 View Post
I think it's ridiculous to have to keep the hide but not be obligated to keep the meat. I hunt bear for the meat, not the "trophy" hide. IMO, it should be the other way around and it's stupid to have to keep the hide over the meat. Someone on here may be able to educate me as to why it is this way. And I welcome that. Demo
I have been what I call an opportunistic bear hunter, that is I carry a black bear license when I hunt ungulates in the foothills & mountains, and would shoot a bear if the opportunity presented itself. Have only seen a few over the yrs but they were too far away or moving too fast for me to catch up with at the time. I would like to hunt bear to eat as I don't see any reason to just hide hunt but the wife would like the rug I'm sure. What is your opinion - is a spring or fall bear better eating? Do you do anything special with the bear meat? Have you ever made hams or bacon out of bear meat? Sausage? Roasts? Steaks? Would like to pursue black bear a bit more seriously this year? Thanks.