Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Default spring beaver

All done spring beaver got 61 in total just wondering how everybody did this spring,moving on to bears now
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM

You done good, ice is just off in this neck of the woods. Was out on the line last week and most of it was still fozen.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
All done spring beaver got 61 in total just wondering how everybody did this spring,moving on to bears now
That is a real pile of potential bear bait .. good job . Hope you get rewarded with good prices for all the hard work .
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM

I have quit a bit of ice floating around still as well,kept enough beaver carcasses for bait for this winter and a few for bears baiting sold the rest.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM

Nice haul. How was the quality overall? The price is starting to make trapping beavers attractive again with castors and carcass figured in.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Excellent quality Would have kept going but I had to go back to work got a lot of large to extra large beaver hopefully the price holds up, I really love beaver trapping, sold my carcasses for 10 bucks a piece
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM

Sounds like you have some nice pelts there. I had a bunch of mine tanned up last year and have been using them to get some aboriginal work done. I swap a tanned beaver hide for a credit towards moccasins or gloves. Amazing how much credit I get for a tanned hide and legal as the hide has been processed. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
are you willing to sell any?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvkilz View Post
are you willing to sell any?
Already sold all my carcasses
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Amazing how much credit I get for a tanned hide and legal as the hide has been processed. Thanks for sharing
quick question....are you saying that you have to process a fur to sell it then? and if so, what constitutes processed? i have recently started to collect a few of albertas furs as id like to tan and display some of them. so far i have a skunk, fox, coyote, and badger. there are more id like, but i know some are off limits to hunting and will have to be purcahsed if i want them. just wondering what the legal requirements are. a mink, fisher, otter, marten, lynx etc fit that category. i dont really know any trappers, but i know where to look to buy hides.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
quick question....are you saying that you have to process a fur to sell it then? and if so, what constitutes processed? i have recently started to collect a few of albertas furs as id like to tan and display some of them. so far i have a skunk, fox, coyote, and badger. there are more id like, but i know some are off limits to hunting and will have to be purcahsed if i want them. just wondering what the legal requirements are. a mink, fisher, otter, marten, lynx etc fit that category. i dont really know any trappers, but i know where to look to buy hides.
They have to be tanned in order for a trapper to sell them to someone other than a licensed fur buyer if a trapper tans or gets fur tanned he can sell them to who ever he wants,just can't be raw fur.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

ok, so if i go to one of them auctions, i should be able to get what i want then? or maybe if someone here wanted to strike a deal with me, could that home tanning solution be used to satisfy the law? i need to get hold of some trapping regs for this province i guess. i dont want to land either me or a trapper in any hot water.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM

I'm sure it would be a liuttle pricier , but I would check with your favorite taxidermist ISB .. he would likely have a line on some tanned furs and maybe even have them there .
Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

there is a guy that comes to town with a trade show every year. he wants about 150 for each animal he has. i didnt think that was too bad, but at the same time, i was kinda hoping to do some of this stuff myself.

i paid attention to keg and wwbirds posts a while back on prepping skins and home tanning them. i am in the middle of doing a bunch as we speak. another couple days and theyll be ready to hang on what im calling the "fur post".