Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 08:06 AM

Default Unwritten rules and info

Hi there,

Yesterday i went for a walk on crown land, set out a trail camera that i got for christmas and enjoyed the day. I ended up on a trapline which i saw no indication was active. My question is, is there any way of knowing if or when it will be active, and whats the "good guy" rules for "visitors", Is it frowned upon to be on the trapline if its active? I plan on hunting this area and dont want to be stepping on toes, thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 AM

Just stay away from any areas that look like they are being trapped. And if you do find yourself close to a set, don't Dick with anything.

I don't mark sets because it's more of a curiosity thing and most people don't know much about trapping so they will wonder in to check it out.

My most frustrating time on the line was at a wolf bait, they finally got used to my setup and were coming in, then someone went traipsing around and got a new scent all over the area, and that was it for that bait spot.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Avoid any bait sites if possible if you cant travel straight through , dont check out any traps or walking trails that he has
Keep your pets on a leash
Help keep the trail clean dont trash it
It is crown land everyone has a right to use it just have to use some common sense and respect and you will be ok
Keep in mind if you let curiosity get the best of you and you decide to check things out you can be charged with tampering with sets
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the reply fellas. So it sounds like im fine to wander around as long as i see no sign of active trapping? I looked up the seasons online and unless im reading it wrong there are many different months someone can be trapping (depending on species). Is there anything that tells me if someone plans on being there in the near future? Do those little silver signs indicate any info? I dont want to waste my time scouting an area to find out in a couple months that someone is trapping there.

On a side note, i ask these questions so that im not interfering with any ones hard work, i have zero desire to tamper with traps or scare away a potential harvest.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:34 AM
Banned

I don't have a trapline but fellas that I've talked to that have one around here don't start trapping until end November when the rifle season has ended. It works out well for everyone.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:16 PM

Have had bear baiters already calling about setting out bait on the line. When the time is right for the season. Don't want to get in the way if we are active in certain areas like spring beaver.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 AM

Why do you believe the area to be a trap line ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbax View Post
... Do those little silver signs indicate any info? ...
Those are probably markers for a seismic program.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM

Almost "All" the green/crown area of Alberta is a registered trapline. There were around 2000 RFMA's ( Registered Fur Management Areas) in Alberta, number is around 1700 now. Some trappers divide their line into 3-4 quadrants and trap a different quarter each year. Some traplines are not trapped/managed well and may not be to active. If it has signs "Active" suggest you respect them or your may be dealing with "mad trapper" that usually carries a gun.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 PM

Are there any products for your phone that show the RFMAs? I'm sure Mark from iHunter would add them in if enough people wanted them. Like add them into the Public Lands Layer maybe. Or would people pay to integrate them? Do they change every year and is that important to know about to anyone other that the trapper there? I am not trapper and mostly curious.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:50 PM

In northern Alberta if your on crown land your on a trap line and lots of southern area to. Don’t mess with the sets and have fun.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Are there any products for your phone that show the RFMAs? I'm sure Mark from iHunter would add them in if enough people wanted them. Like add them into the Public Lands Layer maybe. Or would people pay to integrate them? Do they change every year and is that important to know about to anyone other that the trapper there? I am not trapper and mostly curious.
Buy a map,it shows all RFMA'S on it
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Default trapline

To make it simple, if it is west of highway 22 and north of highway 16 it is a RFMA trapline.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 PM

If you want to be safe on where to go then contact F&W and have your contact info passed on to the trapper.

I for one, encourage and enjoy contact with people on my line. Its crown land and available for everybody to enjoy. I have made many friends from the people that hunt and enjoy the land that encompasses my line. Now not everybody might be of the same mindset that I am but if you plan on being in the area, I believe the least that you can do is reach out to the trapper.

If the area is actually being trapped then the trapper will most likely be the most educated person on wildlife in the area. Get to know the trapper and you may get more info then you expected....