Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Default Pattern?

I've never heard anyone ever mention pattern when talking about buck shot. I have shot a coyote with 00 buck out of an 870 at the end of my drive way, about 20 yards. I have just finished patterning a .410 at 40 M and it was not very good. You will have 2 problems, range estimation is essential and as a bow hunter you know all about that. Round projectiles loose velocity very quickly, that's what limits the effective range. I'd like to know how many pellets you get into a 6" circle at 50 yards.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I've never heard anyone ever mention pattern when talking about buck shot. I have shot a coyote with 00 buck out of an 870 at the end of my drive way, about 20 yards. I have just finished patterning a .410 at 40 M and it was not very good. You will have 2 problems, range estimation is essential and as a bow hunter you know all about that. Round projectiles loose velocity very quickly, that's what limits the effective range. I'd like to know how many pellets you get into a 6" circle at 50 yards.
Who cares how many land in a 6" circle?
I'd be more concerned with how many land in a 30"
circle.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Who cares how many land in a 6" circle?
I'd be more concerned with how many land in a 30"
circle.
I would estimate the vitals of a deer would be about 8 inches and a bit smaller if you are head shooting. With your concern about a 30 inch circle, there could be and probably are a few vital sized areas within that 30 inch where few or no pellets hit. There could be lots of air in that 30 inch circle, but worse, there could be lots of none vital flesh. So, since you are experienced and quick to answer, how many 00s or 000s can you put in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards with your point of aim being the center of the 30 inch circle? Just askin
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

With the right choke,all of em.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM

choose a much smaller target zone, the size of the vitals area. there is some pretty good info on the web and some actual test of buckshot that indicate all buckshot in the kill zone at distances of 45 yards and closer. the energy and velocity at this range(or nearer) is enough to ensure a clean kill. it's a great choice for tree stand hunting in the primitive zones where shotguns are permitted.