Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Default New scope?

Hey guys, not sure if this should go in the hunting or guns and ammo section, but figured i'd throw it in here.
Last year I bought the savage 111 package in .30-06 and everyone warned me about the scope, but it did fine for me last year, one shot, one deer down.
This year started the same, one shot, one deer down. Then I took a few longer shots and missed, went to sight my gun in and found out I was shooting about 6" right at a hundred yards and it didn't get knocked around much at all. I have to re-zero my gun every time I take it out of the case pretty much.
So my question is, what is a decent scope in the $200-$300 price range?
I know lots of guys shooting the bushnell elite 3200 and im definitely considering it, but what about nikon, or vortex or redfield? any of you folks have any experience with them?
Thanks a lot.

Schian
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Scope.

i watched the redfield revenge videos they look like pretty good scopes for the price.! I have been considering picking one up. You should also check out hawke scopes. never had one but they look pretty slick..
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Hey guys, not sure if this should go in the hunting or guns and ammo section, but figured i'd throw it in here.
Last year I bought the savage 111 package in .30-06 and everyone warned me about the scope, but it did fine for me last year, one shot, one deer down.
This year started the same, one shot, one deer down. Then I took a few longer shots and missed, went to sight my gun in and found out I was shooting about 6" right at a hundred yards and it didn't get knocked around much at all. I have to re-zero my gun every time I take it out of the case pretty much.
I know lots of guys shooting the bushnell elite 3200 and im definitely considering it, but what about nikon, or vortex or redfield? any of you folks have any experience with them?
Thanks a lot.

Schian
Wait till boxing week after xmas. There will be some good deals on scopes at WSS. You will be able to get a VX 2 3x9 for under 300.00 and Bushnell 3200 for under 200 if its anythung like last year.. Ive had a Redfield and it was a decent scope for the money. Had a lot troubles with Bushnell years ago and won't go near them again. Can't comment on the others as I only buy Leupold any more.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Go with a red field...great scope for the money. Put one on my 17 mach2 and its great optics.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't know why people recomend Bushnell. I've owned several including three binoculars and always regretted it. Actually passed on on an elk once because my stupid bushnell blacked out on high magnification. Maybe it was legal, maybe not, I'll never know. Poor glass compared to the others in my opinion. I would take a look at Nikon, Zeiss or Leupold or Redfield. Just my two cents.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know why people recomend Bushnell. I've owned several including three binoculars and always regretted it. Actually passed on on an elk once because my stupid bushnell blacked out on high magnification. Maybe it was legal, maybe not, I'll never know. Poor glass compared to the others in my opinion. I would take a look at Nikon, Zeiss or Leupold or Redfield. Just my two cents.
Bushnell markets several grades of optics, from cheap garbage to quite decent optics.I use European glass myself ,but I know several people that are very happy with the Bushnell Elite series scopes.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I know lots of guys shooting the bushnell elite 3200 and im definitely considering it, Schian
Bushnell no longer offers the 3200 and 4200...they now just offer an Elite. It's basically the same quality as the old 4200 (maybe even slightly better) but at the same price as the 3200.......definitely worth a look in that price range.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Schian

I have two redfield revolution 4-12x40 scopes and I love them,they have way better clarity then the vortex diamond back for the same price.I paid $230 including tax for mine.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
ya, too bad zeiss and leupold dont offer anything in the $200-$300 range otherwise i'd definitely be looking at them too.

thanks for the heads up sheep, i know lots of guys that are happy with their bushnells, and i have some of their binos, cheap, but really good glass for the price actually.

sounds like it mostly depends on what i like, and what i want to spend eh?

i have looked at the vortex and thought they looked really good, and i have also heard good things about the redfield (from the little that i have heard about them)

thanks so far and keep the info coming guys!

Schian
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Cool my thoughts.

Redfield revolution ++ made in Oregon USA. Redfield revenge-- made in Taiwan. not much of a choice really. My 4x12- 40 was mounted on a 7mm rem mag for two yrs . Now lives on my .270 the change over took less than 10 rds to hit 2" of bull at 100 yards. For the $ it's hard to beat. My 05 cents.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM

I have a 3x9 vortex on my model 99 savage. Have only got one deer with it so far so its still pretty new to me. But at about 100yrds I smoked it dead where I was aiming. Was able to group nice with it. $210 ish and the warranty rocks. Pretty much got a scope for life. They also told me when I bought it (not yet proven to me) that if I ever want to up grade to say a 4x12 or whatever, if the scopes in good enough condition, they'll send it for warranty and I just pay the difference. But that's just what they said. And I haven't had it very long. But I aint had no reason to complain yet.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM

my wife bought nikon as she uses nikon for photography.i think its a good scope for the price and has good warranty.it worked for her first elk
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM

I used a Redfield Revolution scope on my .300WM this year when I took my buck at 320yds. Forget the magnification range just now but it's the 50mm objective model, I think they only make one.

It's very bright, clear, and easy to pick up the reticle when you raise your rifle. In the $ range you're considering I'd say it's the best. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:43 PM

I just mounted a new VX 2 3x9x40 Mon night on my 270. retired the 25+ year old tasco. Wow what an improvement. that's my vote for the $
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM

The new Bushnell Ultra legends have very good glass in them for around 200-250 bucks. Vortex are alright too for the cash, their glass is pretty decent with a good warranty.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Scope

Quote:
ya, too bad zeiss and leupold dont offer anything in the $200-$300 range otherwise i'd definitely be looking at them too.Schian

Picked up a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 today at Bass Pro, for $439.99

Wouldn't look at anything else, for the few dollars difference, IMO.

...........oh, and IDNVFH
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM

You might find this comparison interesting:

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...views&Itemid=4
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM

my only suggestion is spend as much as you can afford...and a little more.
much the same info as when your building a shop/garage
optics is one of those places is which the more expensive version IS better.
it can transfer to every rifle could own in the future.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You might find this comparison interesting:

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...views&Itemid=4
great read!
thanks a lot.
Schian
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM

well guys, based on all the research and the reviews and then going to check them all out in person, i decided to go with the vortex diamond back 3-9x40. picked it up and got mounted today and P&D. Haven't had a chance to shoot yet, but the glass is as good if not better than most of the ones i looked at in the same price range, and according to everyone i talked to at P&D and WSS and Cabelas your going to have to spend a fair bit more to get the same quality in another brand, also the warranty is better than most.
the only sucky thing that i found out today is that its actually not made in america. everything is outsourced to asian countries so that is why they can keep their prices down.
anyway, just thought i'd let you folks know what i went with and after i get it out to the range i'll let you know how its working out.
thanks for all the input.

Schian
Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM

Did you pay extra to have them install it? I have also been looking at the vortex line of scopes. I'm leaning towards the viper. There is also the viper HS, but I don't know what the HS stands for. It sounds like the quality ranks up there with the top brands, but less money. When are you going to sight it the new scope Scian?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee Swagger View Post

I just picked up the same one, You did a lot better price ways then I did!
I am pleased with mine.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee Swagger View Post

Ya same here,,,I just got one as well and it was not even close to that price
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
Did you pay extra to have them install it? I have also been looking at the vortex line of scopes. I'm leaning towards the viper. There is also the viper HS, but I don't know what the HS stands for. It sounds like the quality ranks up there with the top brands, but less money. When are you going to sight it the new scope Scian?
I paid $25 for them to instal it because i bought the scope there, otherwise i believe they usually charge $45.
My goal was to get everything done for under $300, and all in (including rings, bases, mounting and the scope itself) it was about $290 so I was pretty happy with that.
I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to get it out to sight it in, but I'm hoping to head to phoenix at some point this week/weekend.

I have heard very good things about the viper. Definitely comparable to some of the other top brands but for a lot cheaper.
The warranty is unreal too.

Schian
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 PM

Congrats & enjoy your new rig!