Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Default Double standards for people with medical hardships?

Not sure how everyone else feels but to me this young man gets a lot of publicity.
I feel for the young man by what happened to him and his team mates.

Seems the News people can not leave this guy alone, by what he all gets, his home got all fixed up so he can move around from top to bottom floors, got send across country , and abroad for treatment. Why is this guy so special? And gets all these hand outs.
My brother broke his back 20 years ago while at work, he just got married 3 weeks prior and he has to make it all on his own, the Government will only give him a new wheelchair every 5 years. And after 5 years his chair is finished.
He has never been down his basement as it would cost him an extra 30k to put in a chair lift.
To me there are so many people with disabilities and have to try to make it on their own, and Ryan gets it all.

Also with this Humbold bus crash what if it was a bus of seniors ?

Just a bit frustrating.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:37 PM

You have to remember there was a Go Fund Me page set up that was for all people involved in this bus crash. Pretty sure it was over $15 million raised. Plus I’m sure the SJHL as well as the team had some sort of insurance that covers when something like this happens. You have to also remember that some organizations also weren’t part of the go fund me fundraiser. They made separate donations. Like NHL teams and as well as the NHL organization itself. So it’s not handouts it’s from kind people who made donations to the cause like I did. You have to remember this accident touched people worldwide.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 PM

I have been having a few of the same feeling on this.I also think he is a scared young boy who has not stopped yet to really process what happened on that night ,and I have a bad feeling when he is finally forced to its not going to be pretty.I really hope I am wrong on that point.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Banned

Simplest way to put it is, circumstances.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 PM

My step sons first cousin is Parker Tobin. He was their goalie. It hit hard.
I do know that this accident did receive ALOT of attention because it was young kids that played “our game”. It was a tough go....
Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Sorry about your brother. Ryan and the Broncos happened to have touched the heart of every Canadian and the money poured in for them. Those that miss out, justifiably feel they missed out. It sucks to be on the outside looking in. Have you considered starting a go fund me page for your brother's needs? Often it is a close friend or family that is a catalyst for change for those that need it. Watching, it seems to me that those who have the strongest advocates are the people that do the best.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
You have to remember there was a Go Fund Me page set up that was for all people involved in this bus crash. Pretty sure it was over $15 million raised. Plus I’m sure the SJHL as well as the team had some sort of insurance that covers when something like this happens. You have to also remember that some organizations also weren’t part of the go fund me fundraiser. They made separate donations. Like NHL teams and as well as the NHL organization itself. So it’s not handouts it’s from kind people who made donations to the cause like I did. You have to remember this accident touched people worldwide.
Well said. The government didn’t send him to Thailand for the operation. Everyone that contributed did.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Well said. The government didn’t send him to Thailand for the operation. Everyone that contributed did.
Can’t forget about the lawsuits as well.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 PM

I work with cognitively and physically handicapped teens all day, seeing the lack of real supports there are for people in these situations. I certainly sympathize with your family's profound challenges.

I just don't know that pointing out the current situation of this young fellow who survived the tragic crash is a good look. Sure he is getting some help right now, but the spotlight will fade and move on when the next tragedy happens. I get it, but I don't want people flaming you because I know this is exactly what is gonna happen as soon as the after dinner highballs start to flow.

Fellas, if you have strong feelings one way or another, let's keep it classy please.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I work with cognitively and physically handicapped teens all day, seeing the lack of real supports there are for people in these situations. I certainly sympathize with your family's profound challenges.

I just don't know that pointing out the current situation of this young fellow who survived the tragic crash is a good look. Sure he is getting some help right now, but the spotlight will fade and move on when the next tragedy happens. I get it, but I don't want people flaming you because I know this is exactly what is gonna happen as soon as the after dinner highballs start to flow.

Fellas, if you have strong feelings one way or another, let's keep it classy please.
Agreed entirely.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Perfect. Thank you

BW
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned

How much of a PR boost will this person's hardship bring to me if I donate to him will be the questions of organization and people with blackhole deep pockets.

Never assume people with deep pocket money do it for free. They do it for PR purposes i.e. virtue signalling, increase good exposure, w.e.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 PM

a month or so after the humbolt crash a very similar accident happened a few miles up the road . the driver that blew the stop sign was a young white local man . the car that got hit was driven by an older lady who passed away . never made the news . both tragedies , both destroyed peoples lives . one never made the news and the other is still talked about .
ive wondered the same thing . why does the news get to decide why one persons life is more important , or , newsworthy , than another's ? everyone has a story .
hopefully the young man makes strides in his recovery and gets past all this .
Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 PM

The way the world is today the hardest part is finding the truth.

The right thing to do is to help someone who really needs it.

The hard part today is doing the right thing, finding in fact and getting
the help to them not someone else.

That is the problem right there.

That's the way it is these days, not the way it was in the past.

Sad.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
My feelings on this is, are they spending the money on a legitimate medical procedure, or is it a Faint Hope thing ? Lot of those outside our medical system, the standards of those do not meet ours. Why does he have to go to a third world country like Thailand to have it done.

Grizz
Old 11-07-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My feelings on this is, are they spending the money on a legitimate medical procedure, or is it a Faint Hope thing ? Lot of those outside our medical system, the standards of those do not meet ours. Why does he have to go to a third world country like Thailand to have it done.

Grizz
The procedure was offered in a couple other countries as well, the USA being one and Switzerland being the other one. It was decided to be done in Thailand because it was much cheaper.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:56 PM

Sorry to read that your son is in this situation.

I know this is a little off topic but still relevant in its own way.
What is really sad is that companies like boston dynamics are spending millions to make robots for the military that can go anywhere and do most anything and meanwhile people with mobility problems have to sit in some prehistoric chair with 2 wheels. Very poor priorities and a double standard in a way.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sorry to read that your son is in this situation.

I know this is a little off topic but still relevant in its own way.
What is really sad is that companies like boston dynamics are spending millions to make robots for the military that can go anywhere and do most anything and meanwhile people with mobility problems have to sit in some prehistoric chair with 2 wheels. Very poor priorities and a double standard in a way.
Don't think I disagree with the point you're making, just not sure I agree with said example. Isn't the point, or at least part of it, of the robots to avoid more people ending up in said chairs, or not making it?

It's very true though that investment/effort/advancements/etc. (whatever you want to call it) follows the money.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Not sure how everyone else feels but to me this young man gets a lot of publicity.
I feel for the young man by what happened to him and his team mates.

Seems the News people can not leave this guy alone, by what he all gets, his home got all fixed up so he can move around from top to bottom floors, got send across country , and abroad for treatment. Why is this guy so special? And gets all these hand outs.
My brother broke his back 20 years ago while at work, he just got married 3 weeks prior and he has to make it all on his own, the Government will only give him a new wheelchair every 5 years. And after 5 years his chair is finished.
He has never been down his basement as it would cost him an extra 30k to put in a chair lift.
To me there are so many people with disabilities and have to try to make it on their own, and Ryan gets it all.

Also with this Humbold bus crash what if it was a bus of seniors ?

Just a bit frustrating.
I understand. It does seem unfair.

My back was injured on the job when I was 16, so a kid.

I have never received any treatment of any sort even though I have asked many times. And I have never received one cent in compensation.

I've just had to manage on my own. Not the same as being in a wheel chair I know. Still it has been life altering. One example of how much, I had to give up trapping years ago because the work bothered my back too much.

Meanwhile I see sports celebrities getting injured in much the same way, but they get fixed. So why not me?

To be fair to this young man, he had no part in the response to his and his team mates treatment after the accident.
That was all or almost all due to the media coverage and the media coverage was more because of the game they play then anything else.

I have a close friend, a school bus driver who was injured in an accident.
That was a year and a half ago and she is still in a wheel chair even though her only injury was a broken ankle.
Somehow she got infection in her ankle bones and the doctors didn't catch it until a couple of months ago.
Now she may never walk again.

No kids were injured and there was no media coverage of the accident.
In another accident up by Fort Vermilion, kids were injured. Again no media coverage.

It doesn't seem fair.

I tell myself that is just how life is and I know that is true, but that doesn't make it feel any better. My back still hurts, even now as I sit in front of my computer.

I try to stay upbeat and most of the time I am, but there are times, like when I see others getting everything provided for them when all they had was some cuts and bruises (not talking about the Humbolt kids) and it gets me down. It shouldn't but it does.

George Bernard Shaw