Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2015, 06:45 AM

Thumbs up Crossbows, to be or not to be

This is for information only, I am not trying to or will I participate in a debate. This has been debated over and over and other than arguing nothing has been accomplished.
For those of you that are interested in hunting with a crossbow during the archery season. I contacted via email, the ESRD, MLA Shannon Philips, regarding the use of crossbows during the archery season. She replied that the regulations for hunting would be looked at in June.
If you are interested in hunting with a crossbow during the archery season I would suggest that you send an email to her. The more interest that is shown may sway them to change the regulation concerning the use of crossbows.

Constituency Office
402 - 8 Street South
Lethbridge, AB
Canada T1J 2J7

Phone: 403.329.4644
Fax: 403.329.4289
Email: lethbridge.west@assembly.ab.ca
Old 12-12-2015, 07:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Awesome, will do, time for change, old boys club needs to broaden its horizon.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 AM

Of course you realize that the people that don't want to allow crossbows during the regular archery season will also be contacting her to express their opinion.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:45 AM

I hunt with the bow during the general season...the guys with the crossbows should try that too

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 10:47 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I hunt with the bow during the general season...the guys with the crossbows should try that too

LC
I'm sure they do too but want acces to archery only areas or the so called bow zones, after all a crossbow is a bow....

Sorry just stirred the pot a bit.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I'm sure they do too but want acces to archery only areas or the so called bow zones, after all a crossbow is a bow....

Sorry just stirred the pot a bit.
During the EXTENDED Strathcona season, crossbows are allowed. Oh that happens to be a "bow zone" by the way.

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

LC
Nah...won't work in rifle season...you ever tried road hunting with a cross bow???
Old 12-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Nah...won't work in rifle season...you ever tried road hunting with a cross bow???
Yes, you can shoot them right out the window and not be charged with having a loaded firearm in the car, they're awesome for road hunting.....
Old 12-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:

LC
I do the same, and not only in the bow zone.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:58 AM

Ah the great vertical vs horizontal debate... If we want to solve a majority of issues that our group has, why not do away with the general season all together then ?

Remove thunder sticks from the community all together, these tools belong punching paper and not bombing lead at unsuspected live targets.

This removal will create opportunity beyond what anyone could imagine, trophy potential would increase 10 fold, substance abuse would nearly go away, accidents would decline, safety would increase, land would open, ext.

Now we can create a simple open string season only, bring what tool you want and whack your groceries as needed.

So simple really that I am surprised we have not done away with all gun powder related weapons for the purpose of hunting already.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
I do the same, and not only in the bow zone.
Me too, the folks walking around with the rifles quite often end up sending animals right past my stand.

As far as how the rules are written....I agree with how they are now. There is a time and place for each preferred weapon.

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
LC
I hunt the whole season - from early archery, through the rifle seasons, and late archery with my crossbow here in BC.

I saw in the suggested considerations for changes upcoming to Alberta's regulations, crossbows are being considered for full inclusion in archery seasons over there. Many Provinces & States have already done this same thing. I do not view it as a negative.

Regardless, I WILL be back hunting Alberta with my crossbow next archery season. And for every single archery season that follows I am alive for most likely. Unfortunately I am now "disabled" to the point I can no longer use my vertical bow. Fortunately Alberta has graciously allowed me to hunt with stick & string regardless of that fact.

Thanks for the links & information Pincherguy. I will be sending my comments in...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 12-12-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
I hunt the whole season - from early archery, through the rifle seasons, and late archery with my crossbow here in BC.

I saw in the suggested considerations for changes upcoming to Alberta's regulations, crossbows are being considered for full inclusion in archery seasons over there. Many Provinces & States have already done this same thing. I do not view it as a negative.

Regardless, I WILL be back hunting Alberta with my crossbow next archery season. And for every single archery season that follows I am alive for most likely. Unfortunately I am now "disabled" to the point I can no longer use my vertical bow. Fortunately Alberta has graciously allowed me to hunt with stick & string regardless of that fact.

Thanks for the links & information Pincherguy. I will be sending my comments in...

Cheers,
Nog
Nothing wrong with using a crossbow if you can't pull back the 40lbs required, there is already provisions to allow for that....hence, the current rules and regs are appropriate IMHO.

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 03:26 PM

Due to some physical problems I have, I have not been able to use my compound for the last 7 years. I sure miss hunting with my buddies during the archery season, they do not hunt with a rifle. It would be nice to get back in camp with them. Anything that I harvest with my crossbow is nice and I do use it during the regular season. I would not even dream that it would be excepted by Pope and Young, I am not a trophy hunter. What ever anyone else hunts with doesn't bother me in the least, if it's legal have at it. I really don't see much difference between them and the 80 and 85 percent let off on some of the compound bows. I was not trying to start anything, just passing along information. As far as the negative side of the debate, I am sure the ESRD would welcome any input on the subject. Wishing you all a merry Christmas and a prosperous new year, tight lines and straight shooting. That sure is a nice set of arrows that girl is has, she would be welcome in my camp anytime.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Of course you realize that the people that don't want to allow crossbows during the regular archery season will also be contacting her to express their opinion.
Yup.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 AM

Just sent an email to the constituency office. 2016 crossbows will be in the archery season
Don Cherry will speak about it this Saturday night on coaches corner too

Old 12-16-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Just sent an email to the constituency office. 2016 crossbows will be in the archery season
Don Cherry will speak about it this Saturday night on coaches corner too
Way to go Alberta.

The freedom to choose your proffered archery tool is priceless.

Now ho much are those non-resident permits??????
Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont-xbower View Post
Way to go Alberta.

The freedom to choose your proffered archery tool is priceless.

Now ho much are those non-resident permits??????
Don't get too excited yet, no such decision has actually been made.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:18 AM

Did not think this would go this far, Xbows and politics, and the big bang theory, never to be resolved. My cross bow is extremely hard to cock without a mechanical aid, probably just me. I do use mine in the general season.
As far as hunting and lost game, it all goes to ethics. Long bow and recurve shooters what`s a good range for you, mine was up to 30 yards. Compound shooters, up to 50 yards. Rifle shooters, up to 200 yards. Some of the more proficient shooters could expand these ranges.
I have found lots of wasted animals all shot with different weapons. I have seen guys shoot recurves at ranges up to 100 yards, rifles up to 1000 yards. After 4 or 5 shots the animal walks off, damn I missed and off they go to the next spot. Most never go and check for a hit, mean while the animal is wounded and walks off to die. In a controlled environment long shots can be made, or it you have a spotter the second shot may be made with better results. Too bad hunting situations are not this way, wind and thermal currents have a big effect on the projectile from very little to extreme. Does not matter what you hunt with keep your shots to the range that you are proficient, this is only fair to the animal and will increase your fun in the field. Hunt with what you will but be ethical about how you use it. Oh and yes I have been tempted to make the long shot the same as the rest, but I don`t

NUFF said.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Banned

I agree with lefty it's ridiclous the amount of comments he had to justify, but there ya have it. I own both a crossbow and 2 compounds. (Also a recurve). I can tell you the difference in the difficulties of becoming proficient at all all three. The crossbow was bought and within 3-4 days I was competent with it out to 80 yards with a nice scope on it.Super easy to shoot , great weapon for what it is. Been shooting compounds and recurves since the early 90's, and it takes a ton of time , work and frustration over getting the right mixture of equipment and consistent shooting form to put any type of grouping together at 80 yards let alone attempt to take an animal beyond 50 yrds. As far as a recurve goes that's another beast that takes constant practice. You can't just pick it up when you want and be consistent with it , hours and hours spent perfecting and maintaining that art not to mention you wouldn't dare take much more than a 25-30 yrd shot at an animal with it. To be honest I'm happy the way things are now , no I don't believe a crossbow hunter deserves the same priveliges as an archer based on the difficulty factor, unless you have a disability that is.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
I agree with lefty it's ridiclous the amount of comments he had to justify, but there ya have it. I own both a crossbow and 2 compounds. (Also a recurve). I can tell you the difference in the difficulties of becoming proficient at all all three. The crossbow was bought and within 3-4 days I was competent with it out to 80 yards with a nice scope on it.Super easy to shoot , great weapon for what it is. Been shooting compounds and recurves since the early 90's, and it takes a ton of time , work and frustration over getting the right mixture of equipment and consistent shooting form to put any type of grouping together at 80 yards let alone attempt to take an animal beyond 50 yrds. As far as a recurve goes that's another beast that takes constant practice. You can't just pick it up when you want and be consistent with it , hours and hours spent perfecting and maintaining that art not to mention you wouldn't dare take much more than a 25-30 yrd shot at an animal with it. To be honest I'm happy the way things are now , no I don't believe a crossbow hunter deserves the same priveliges as an archer based on the difficulty factor, unless you have a disability that is.
same old, same old. You really are better. I'm sure you're happy with the way thing are.. Why wouldn't you be ?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

Lol nevermind , I'll let you go back to feeling sorry for yourself. I try to keep in mind how much better we have it here and how many more hunting opportunities we have compared to a lot of other provinces. On this matter the glass is half full.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Lol nevermind , I'll let you go back to feeling sorry for yourself. I try to keep in mind how much better we have it here and how many more hunting opportunities we have compared to a lot of other provinces. On this matter the glass is half full.
Gad man .. there are a lot of guys that went through the learning process you previously describe - when you were still in liquid form .. probably long before that.
Nobody is feeling sorry for themselves my friend. It' just about equal opportunities. Keep in mind how good you have it.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:55 PM

Just to clarify. I had a bit of reading comp. As Lefty states seniors can seek a permit BUT unless the permit criteria is relaxed you need a valid Dr or physio sig. for a known/proven problem.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Just to clarify. I had a bit of reading comp. As Lefty states seniors can seek a permit BUT unless the permit criteria is relaxed you need a valid Dr or physio sig. for a known/proven problem.
I don't necessarily agree with the criteria used to issue permits, I think legitimate claims should be more inclusive.

LC
Old 12-23-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Yes, you must have a severe physical impairment and a accompanying Physicians report to qualify under the existing regs, senior or otherwise. Believe me, it's not easy. Simply being a senior does not qualify, nor should it. Under the current rules, the disability requirement is so strict that you almost need a wheelchair to qualify. I think that takes any of the pleasure
away from most hunting activities.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

Of course there were , I never claimed to invent archery, Fyi someone who is no longer strong enough to pull any bow back should probably refrain from picking fights with anyone. Secondly if you want equal rights then go become equal and buy a bow. There's lots of low poundage bows out there that are more than capable of killing any animal in North America. If you can get over how wrong done by you are you might even enjoy it. But unless your actually out there making a change yourself all your doing here is ****ing in the wind and come next season things will remain the same. Like I said I prefer it this way but it really wouldn't make much difference to me if they changed it so you or i could hunt with your crossbow in archery season.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Of course there were , I never claimed to invent archery, Fyi someone who is no longer strong enough to pull any bow back should probably refrain from picking fights with anyone. Secondly if you want equal rights then go become equal and buy a bow. There's lots of low poundage bows out there that are more than capable of killing any animal in North America. If you can get over how wrong done by you are you might even enjoy it. But unless your actually out there making a change yourself all your doing here is ****ing in the wind and come next season things will remain the same. Like I said I prefer it this way but it really wouldn't make much difference to me if they changed it so you or i could hunt with your crossbow in archery season.
I'm not trying to pick a fight, just stating opinions, but I can also state a few facts. You're jumping to some of conclusions that don't quite cut it. No 1 - I'm not short of archery equipment. No 2 .I am not physically impaired. No 3 . I do not feel I should have to meet your criteria to use Archery equipment of my choice during archery seasons.
You state you don't care either way about X-bow inclusion and that's really good to hear. We all enjoy hunting while equipment preferences are personal.
I guess that's what this thread is all about.