Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Globe editorial: Canada’s gun advocates should stop playing the victim

Just saw this. Pretty bad!!!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...click=sf_globe
John 3:16
Firearms Owners are the difference between FREEDOM & TYRANNY!
Gun Control is Population Control
Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 AM

A lot of BS in the editorial. No facts to back anything up. The big thing he missed is there isn`t a problem with "legal guns owns and their guns", it`s "criminals and their guns". Maybe they just hired the head of CBC to run the globe and mail.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:38 AM

Until the author of that garbage has experienced the repeated joys of waking up to another new RCMP opinion prohibiting his/her lifetime possessions, and understands the full effects of government devaluation/grounding/confiscation/THEFT of property and enjoyment of same, he/she would do well to shut up and stop advertising absolute ignorance of the topic.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Complete joke
Old 03-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Banned

Good people follow the rules and get punished,

It's the person,
be it a gun, knife, hammer, whatever.

As soon as it is turned towards someone else, with the intent by the user to do harm, it becomes a dangerous weapon.

It's the person, not the mechanism to blame.

Mankind have been killing each other long before guns came about.

Clubs. swords, axes, and just about anything else has been used for centuries to kill other people.

Yes, when the user of a gun points and shoots a gun towards someone, the possibility of them being killed is great.

Killed by the person, using it.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:13 PM

The last paragraph is interesting. I wasn't aware that he was using a legal weapon...

Quote:
When you consider that the other side of the equation is that gun control can never be perfect, and that, for instance, a legally owned gun was used by its legal owner in the slaughter at a mosque in Quebec City last year, playing the victim seems even less appropriate.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 PM

Legal gun owners are the only group of Canadians that I am aware of where it seems to be perfectly acceptable to remove their rights and freedoms. Thousands of people die from drug overdoses but I don't see the government
doing a whole lot about that.

I would love to know if there is an actual statistic that shows how many legally purchased long guns are used in gun violence. My guess is that a large portion of shootings occur when illegal handguns from the United States find their way into the hands of criminals in the inner cities.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Legal gun owners are the only group of Canadians that I am aware of where it seems to be perfectly acceptable to remove their rights and freedoms. Thousands of people die from drug overdoses but I don't see the government
doing a whole lot about that.

I would love to know if there is an actual statistic that shows how many legally purchased long guns are used in gun violence. My guess is that a large portion of shootings occur when illegal handguns from the United States find their way into the hands of criminals in the inner cities.
I believe it was Rod Gitaca who quoted the raw data a few years ago as something like legally owned firearms (all kinds) are used in less than 2% of gun crimes and less than 1/10 of 1% of legal gun owners commit violent offences, but not necessarily with a firearm. Something like that, but the numbers could be even lower.

Colin
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM

There is absolutely nothing of substance worth reading in that editorial.