Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Roy Jones greatest knockouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkMAf0ZHO_k

Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Goat

He was definitely one of the Greatests of all time. Loved watching him fight.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM

One of my favourites, too bad he didn't know when to hang them up.

My favourite KO was when he held his hands behind his back, goaded his opponent into throwing a hay maker, stepped around the wild swing and ended the fight with one punch.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 PM

Lol. Good to see to see at least two other boxing fans on here.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Great video once you turn off the sound!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Great video once you turn off the sound!
Come on. The video isn't complete without the rap!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:42 PM

Wow. Thanks for posting

I never really seen him fight b4.

When was he active ? And what weight if anyone knows handy ..... prolly will be googling soon

I watched a bit of boxing with my ole man when a teenager , but that was focused on de Hoya..... 1994-1995 ish I think

Man the guys confidence and speed is thru the roof , not to mention the theatrics and swagger and " accuracy "( not sure if right word )? .. I always seen him as a commentator at ringside on tv .....
Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 AM

He did fight in all these categories below but but he mostly fought Light heavy weight and Cruiserweight.

Heavyweight, Cruiserweight, Middleweight, Light heavyweight, Super middleweight, Light middleweight.

boxrec.com/en/boxer/774820
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Weight

He was at his best when he was at his lightest. He was quick as a mongoose. He cleaned out his division and no one could lay a glove on him. He then started going up in weight so he could get a paycheck. Thats when he ran into some trouble. I think if he stayed at his natural weight he would be considered the best boxer of all time. I truly think that he was pound for pound better than Mayweather and I think if he stayed at his natural weight he would have likely remainded undefeated. (except for that discalification loss).

Just an opinion so take it for what its worth.

Cool quote;

In 1996, High Frequency Boxing's John DiMaio wrote "The early evidence points toward the real possibility that Jones is the greatest talent this sport has ever seen. His skill so dwarfs that of his nearest ranked opposition...that providing competitive opponents is a more challenging dilemma than the fights themselves." The expert opinion of Boxing magazine's editor, Bert Sugar, is provided on Jones' website: "He possesses the fastest hands in boxing with lightning fast moves and explosive power in both hands." After Mike MacCallum lost the World Boxing Council light heavyweight crown to Roy Jones in a 1996 unanimous decision, he called Jones "the greatest fighter of all time.".[citation needed]

Video link confirming my point of view

https://youtu.be/OBYxHoBmzls

Last edited by markg; 03-22-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:52 PM

He was great he definitely stayed in the sport way to long i think he was still boxing like two years ago maybe he still is.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:55 PM

When he went up to heavy weight to fight John Ruiz, it was the beginning of the end for him. When you watched RJ you got your money's worth, as he was going for the KO and was willing to trade for the chance to land a bomb.

I thought maybe he kept fighting for the money, but I read that he is worth about $45 million. He must enjoy what he does to keep at it that long.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 PM

Good video, thanks !

Dodger.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
He was at his best when he was at his lightest. He was quick as a mongoose. He cleaned out his division and no one could lay a glove on him. He then started going up in weight so he could get a paycheck. Thats when he ran into some trouble. I think if he stayed at his natural weight he would be considered the best boxer of all time. I truly think that he was pound for pound better than Mayweather and I think if he stayed at his natural weight he would have likely remainded undefeated. (except for that discalification loss).

Just an opinion so take it for what its worth.

Cool quote;

In 1996, High Frequency Boxing's John DiMaio wrote "The early evidence points toward the real possibility that Jones is the greatest talent this sport has ever seen. His skill so dwarfs that of his nearest ranked opposition...that providing competitive opponents is a more challenging dilemma than the fights themselves." The expert opinion of Boxing magazine's editor, Bert Sugar, is provided on Jones' website: "He possesses the fastest hands in boxing with lightning fast moves and explosive power in both hands." After Mike MacCallum lost the World Boxing Council light heavyweight crown to Roy Jones in a 1996 unanimous decision, he called Jones "the greatest fighter of all time.".[citation needed]

Video link confirming my point of view

https://youtu.be/OBYxHoBmzls
He’s definitely ahead of mayweather as an all time boxer. Mayweather ducked opposition until the opposition was past their prime. Also he never moved through divisions like RJJ.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
He was definitely one of the Greatests of all time. Loved watching him fight.
Absolutely

I miss Boxing