Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Only one I believe
Common sense says one, I wonder what the law actually says.

The law does say it has to be temporary though.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Whoa here, think if you live in a rural area, you are allowed to have firearms accessible, just not loaded. I'd be pleading not guilty.

Grizz
Quote:
Only one I believe
I don’t believe it says anywhere the amount you’re restricted to. Would not make sense.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Interesting point is he was not charged for improper storage of the Restricted handgun as it was "considered to be in his possesion". He was charged for not properly storring dangerous 22's, shotguns probably used to shoot coyotes on the farm.

No proof it wasn't stored properly before it was in his hand I guess. Could have just magically appeared there like foo foo dust I guess.

Odd he couldn't be charged for improper storage "after" the incident though. They found it in a case at the back of a closet from what I read.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
That crowd will NEVER be appeased.

Maybe Mr. Stanley can just show the judge his white privilege card

Man that made me laugh. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Only one I believe
Sometimes when I'm hunting I have 2 or 3 readily available.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Mr Stanley should select trial by jury although it will probably be loaded with biased jurors who will not be able to reach a conclusive decision.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
Never know when vermin are likely to show up, so according to the above regulation he is probably exempt from a storage infraction.

Last edited by Ishpah; 03-19-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:03 PM

I don't think a guy can opt for a trial by jury if the maximum penalty is less than 5 years of imprisonment. I am not a lawyer, however, and it could very well be the case that I don't really know what I am talking about. Also, I don't know what the maximum penalty for improper firearm storage, but doubt it is more than five years in jail.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Banned

Interesting development.

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/nat...olten-boushie/

Quote:
Best of the Best
LOCAL NEWS PROVINCIAL NEWS NATIONAL NEWS WORLD NEWS

Publisher rejects request to tell story of farmer who shot Colten Boushie

BY THE CANADIAN PRESS ON MARCH 22, 2018.

Gerald Stanley enters the Court of Queen's Bench for the fifth day of his trial in Battleford, Sask., on February 5, 2018. A publisher has rejected a request from a law firm that represents the Saskatchewan farmer acquitted in the fatal shooting of a young Indigenous man who now wants to tell "his side" of what happened. Last month, a jury found Gerald Stanley not guilty of second-degree murder in the 2016 death of Colten Boushie. Toronto-based publisher Between The Lines (BTL) says it received the request from Stanley's legal team. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Liam Richards
A publisher has rejected a request from a law firm that represents the Saskatchewan farmer acquitted in the fatal shooting of a young Indigenous man who now wants to tell “his side” of what happened.

Last month, a jury found Gerald Stanley not guilty of second-degree murder in the 2016 death of Colten Boushie.

Toronto-based publisher Between The Lines (BTL) says it received the request from Stanley’s legal team.

“Our press has rejected the request for a meeting and instead offered an expression of our solidarity with the Boushie family,” BTL said in a statement Thursday.

“Mr. Stanley’s side of the story has already been told – and was validated, in wilful disregard of the facts and expert testimony, by an all-white jury.

“To publish, promote, and market Mr. Stanley’s side of the story would only contribute to the injustices experienced by the Boushie family and all Indigenous people.”

BTL said it is encouraging other publishers to reject the request as well.

Company officials were not immediately available for further comment.

Lawyer Scott Spencer confirmed his office did make inquiries on Stanley’s behalf.

“Gerry has been concerned throughout the legal process about the misinformation that has been widely circulated,” Spencer wrote in an email.

“Gerry believed that once the facts came out at trial that the misinformation would stop and that any public discussion would be based on facts and evidence. However, that has not been the case.”

Spencer said Stanley is not seeking a book deal.

“Gerry just wants to see the public record set straight.”

The case was filled with racial tension from the beginning and the verdict was met with outrage and sadness by Boushie’s family and their supporters.

After the verdict, family members met with federal ministers along with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to ask for changes to the justice system and to how juries are selected to better reflect Indigenous people.

Rallies were also held around Canada to voice displeasure with the outcome of the case.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:59 AM

I do not think it right for one publisher to encourage other publishers not to publish. Sure the trial and result are part of the public record but Mr. Stanley should be allowed to tell his own story on his own terms without being boxed in by the court system. I hope that some publisher will agree to help Mr. Stanley.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:04 AM

The media is only interested in one side of the story

Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

The story that sells the most papers or gets the most hits.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

And you, plus most of this medium, are only interested in one side of the story.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Censorship seems to be more common ever since the last federal election.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Maybe another GoFundMe to get his story published somewhere? Has to be someone somewhere who would take this on. Find some small shop in the States, bingo, done!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
And you, plus most of this medium, are only interested in one side of the story.
The other sides has been splashed over the headlines why not tell Stanley's side?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Every time I see bias like this it makes me lose respect for you. Your numbers are plummeting. What has happened with you? How has this story affected you so personally that you need to slam everyone that does not agree with you?

I used to like your posts, not so much anymore.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Banned

Gets a little boring, wouldn't you say Old Hoss, when every word spoken is the same word as before. This is a going nowhere story and every time it gets rehashed the same predictable outcome is inevitable. Your side won; relish the victory.

I disagree with your point. I have no "number to plummet." I'm not mining for likes or pals. I just enjoy a lively conversation with a little give and take. And you would not like me on a personal level anyway Mr. Corvette. I'm not quite the law and order type that you favor. However, my comment was not directly targeted at one participant, yours is. That is 'bias'.

Mr. Stanley will seed his crops like he has done every spring (including 2016) and harvest his commodities in the fall as he has done every year and the cash he picked up will cover his expenses quite nicely I'm sure. He didn't need a book deal to make a living in the days before this story and he'll likely be fine without one now. The family would like nothing better than to have this whole thing go away.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 PM

You said it to.me first lol.
No side won.
An idiot got drunk and pushed his hand.
An idiot shot another idiot.
An idiot died.
Stanley can't stay in his house and the Boushie family feels ruined.
Canada is tearing apart.

Who is the winner here?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Mr. Stanley will seed his crops like he has done [U
every[/U] spring (including 2016) and harvest his commodities in the fall as he has done every year and the cash he picked up will cover his expenses quite nicely I'm sure. He didn't need a book deal to make a living in the days before this story and he'll likely be fine without one now. The family would like nothing better than to have this whole thing go away.
I am pretty sure he sold his farm because of what happened. I would not feel safe going back there as well.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Mr. Stanley will seed his crops like he has done every spring (including 2016) and harvest his commodities in the fall as he has done every year and the cash he picked up will cover his expenses quite nicely I'm sure. He didn't need a book deal to make a living in the days before this story and he'll likely be fine without one now. The family would like nothing better than to have this whole thing go away.
I question if money was really the motive here.

It's Canada, even if it made the Best Seller list, which is highly doubtful, how much would he get? He wouldn't write the book, it's just his story. It's amazing how little money authors get from their books. They aren't doing it for money.

I really think the family just wants their version of the events made public.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

Works for me
Old 03-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
And?????????
Old 03-23-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I question if money was really the motive here.

It's Canada, even if it made the Best Seller list, which is highly doubtful, how much would he get? He wouldn't write the book, it's just his story. It's amazing how little money authors get from their books. They aren't doing it for money.

Why not just publish it for free on the internet then? There's a 1000 ways to get the story out for free but only a few that let you make money from telling it.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
Why not just publish it for free on the internet then? There's a 1000 ways to get the story out for free but only a few that let you make money from telling it.

For starters, he is a 50 something farmer. Likely not his thing at all.

I am a 50 something white collar worker, and it sure isn't my thing.

Bluntly, I see most internet publishing/blog or whatever you are talking about as garbage. If I were him I would want my story in print, not the internet. I suspect most people my age would agree............ or maybe I am just a hayseed.

And I really don't mean to slag the guy, but not everyone can write a book or wants to.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
For starters, he is a 50 something farmer. Likely not his thing at all.

I am a 50 something white collar worker, and it sure isn't my thing.

Bluntly, I see most internet publishing/blog or whatever you are talking about as garbage. If I were him I would want my story in print, not the internet. I suspect most people my age would agree............ or maybe I am just a hayseed.
And I really don't mean to slag the guy, but not everyone can write a book or wants to.
I agree....and no..you're not...
Old 03-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
You would definitely be the best judge
Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
You wouldn't recognize a hayseed if you were one

sorry............the voice in my head made me type this
Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You wouldn't recognize a hayseed if you were one

sorry............the voice in my head made me type this
Oh good one..
Old 03-23-2018, 10:12 PM

The side that won was the truthful side. Truth won over lies. That's a rarity these days, so be thankful.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 AM

I, for one, would like to see a full, factual story of everything that happened. Not only what was permitted in court testimony. From what happened prior to the group arriving on Stanley's farm, to why the others in the car haven't been charged with anything, to has Stanley really sold the farm and moved.

I was hoping that Christie Blanchford would do a story on it. I enjoy her work.